• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

INS doesn't accept my I-485 from DV

soniasingh

Registered Users (C)
As instructed by KCC, I waited until Oct to file my I-485 for AOS. And on 1st Oct I was in INS. INS is telling me that I should come back later to file I-485 since it is too early. They also referrred me to the Visa bulletin (www.usa.gov/visa bulletin) which is now showing the following number for ASIA:

AS 2100

My number is around AS 11700.

They are saying that it will be around Spring of 2003 before the number 11000 is near. Only then they can accept my I-485. Do you have any advice what can be done in such a situation? Is there any alternative? The visa bulletin seems to show numbers by month since it's a monthly bulletin - daily changes cannot be viewed. What is the way out since I do not want to lose this opportunity.

Thank you,

Sonia

Dear Sonia Singh

I was in the same boat as you are now. I was in H-1B Visa and won Diversity Visa lottery for 2002. My case became current in August and I applied for adjustment of status(I-485) in August 1. INS adjusted my status in September 30.

I was really panicked until my status was adjusted to that of permanent resident. I wanted to go through the consular processing, but could not do so because of my family situation. Take patience and act prudently, you will have your green card in your hand by Septmeber 30, 2003. I did not hire any attorny to handle my case I did it by myself. Anyway, Which country are you from? I am also from Asia.

How do i know that my case is current?

Saney, would you pls mind telling me how do I know if my case became current? I am from India.

Dear Sonia
Department of State releases Visa Bulletin every month. You can visit the web site of Department of State: www.travel.state.gov
Please click on visabulletin. INS is working on 3300 case number of Asia in November. In a few days Visa Bulletin 51 will be released and that will indicate the total cut off number for December too. I wonder how you became eligble for DV program if you are from India. Is your country of Birth other than India? I am from Nepal so I was eligible for DV

Saney,
I guess the rank number you had was after Asia 14000 (DV2002)
Could I ask which you check on Part2. Application type In i-485 ?
How long to get green card after Sep. 30 2001?

Dear joojle
My case number was above 10,000 and below 16700, so I was able to file in August. I wrote Diversity Lottery in paret 2 of I-485 form,and specified in separate paper. I got a letter from INS issued on September 30 stating that my status has been adjusted to that of permanent resident. The next day I went to local INS office and had my passport stamped I-551.

Saney,
I thought KCC will give you a second notice before August ? right ?
My friend got dv2003(asia 14000) and asked how to fill the I-485 for him and his family.
Look at the instruction, the part 2 seems to be for family and employment base immigration,
but option h is other basis of eligibility,
Maybe this is the place to put the DV information.
Any document needs for this condition ? copy or formal oone
After i-551, how long to wait for plastic card ?

Joojle
If your friend is in the US and applies for the adjustement of status, s/he should go to the local INS office for further instruction. KCC does not send any further notice if you go for the AOS process.Please look at the instruction sent by the KCC. If your friend is out side the US, s/he will be sent the second packet for CP.

I checked h and specified DV. The copy of the cover letter sent by KCC serves the purpose in justifying the eligibility.

I received a letter from INS stating that the card will be arriving in 12 months, however,if I need to travel I can come to the INS office within 30 days and have my passport stamped. I am not concerned about the plastic card since I-551 stamp is the temporary evidence of Permanent residence(greencard)

question to saney

saney, what actually did you submit to INS besides the I-485 form? does the spouse of the petitioner need an affidavit of support from the peitioner? or the job letter of the peitioner enough for both husband and wife.

thanks saney

Soniasingh, You should submit all the necessary documents alongwith your I-485. I sumbmitted my job offer letter from my employer. It should be enough,however, the INS information Officer asked separate affidavit of support for my wife and my daughter. I submitted them separately for each person's file. The IIO accepted my forms. Please tell me how you became eligible for DV if you are from India.

Okun,
Following acceptance of my I-485 with necessary documents form INS then,I received a letter for finger and interview after 23 days. They were two separate letters received the same day. Twenty-five days after the interview I received a letter from INS that my status has been adjusted to that of permanent residence. I went to the INS with the letter next day and had it stamped. My plastic card arrived by mail 6 months after it was stamped. The INS office, that took my case, handled very swiftly and efficiently. and I was able to have my status adjusted within 2 months. Good luck to your case also.

QUESTION CONCERNING DV-2005

Hi All,
I would like to know if anyone can help answer this question.
I would like to apply for the DV-2005 lottery, but I'm unsure if I would qualify. I have been living in the U.S. undocumented for several years now. Attended high school & currently in 4-year lib arts college. I read on the state dept web link about the instructions for lottery winners to take in becoming permanent residents. http://travel.state.gov/dv2004results.html
I'm a bit perplexed because the same website offers instructions for applying for the lottery, and there's no mention of an individual being undocumented and living in the U.S. as a disqualifying factor. http://travel.state.gov/dv2005.html

I'd appreciate any response/input about this. thanx