INS considering Possible Reduction in stay for Visitor Visa

venkatsx

Registered Users (C)
Check this out!!!

In the recent testimony given by the INS commissioner James W Ziglar before the House Committee on Immigration he said that INS is
"considering a regulatory change that would result in most holders of Visitors Visa being admitted for a period of 30 days. Currently, visitors are generally admitted for a period of six months"

Well I hope INS dosent implement this plan.

Source :
http://www.ins.usdoj.gov/graphics/aboutins/congress/testimonies/2002/zigtestimony.pdf

Check page 4, 5th paragraph of the pdf file.

If they implement that ,then US citizens travelling abroad,will automatically get the same

restriction.For eg. if they visit India or China or England they will get only a 30 day visitor visa. Currently they get a 6 month visa.

In that case then lets hope they introduce some

easy visitor visa extention procedure, i.e. local INS offices should be able to grant extention rather than applying at regional Service Centers and wait for another 3 months. 30 days are awefully shorter period for a visitor.

I guess they can visit only for 30 days. This will be terrible if INS starts

implementing this. Who will go through the headaches of filing cases with INS to extend parents visa for every 30 day increment. I think this is a new money making scheme by the INS to increase their revenues. They know deep down that majority of the well to do Indian software professionals in this country will pay the excessive revalidating fees for visitor visa.

Sorry Fate

Its extremely sorry to see that INS is thinking of 30 Days visitor vias. I think our parents /relative have to think about visiting us here and spend 30 Days @ Rs. 1,20.000.00. The Airline industry will take a severe hit and we can except a lobby from them to increase the time limit.

No Title

It really doesn\'t surprise me anymore how illogical the INS and other decision making bodies in this country can be at times. They were stupid and careless enough to issue a visa and an I20 to someone who was on the terrorist watch list. Reducing the time limit on visitor visas is just another meaningless exercise. If only they spend their resources going after illegal immigrants instead of harassing to bits those of us who are "doing things the right way"...

Well anyways..u bet I am peeved since like the rest of you I am even angry to think about a once in 2 years meeting with my family being reduced to 30 days and with all the expenses they incur..

Did you guys see the other things INS is considering ...?

I read yesterday on CNN that they are planning for a total revamp of INS.

They are planning to have the EB based GCs processed by Labor Dept. Also, a student cannot go to the school with out the visa approval.
Merging INS border patrol and Customs....

At the end of the day...the people who really try had to keep their legal status get screwed up.