Initial question on OCI/Surrender Certificate in San Francisco area

gc_man

Registered Users (C)
Hello all,
I am a new US naturalized citizen and have couple of questions on the OCI process:

1. Can I just apply for OCI, which can automatically take care of Surrender Certification process, rather than doing in a sequential order. Any pitfalls of that?

2. I would be filing an application for family (for both me and spouse). My child is born US citizen and we got her PIO card about 3.5 years ago. Is it possible for me to convert her PIO to OCI during our "family OCI" application, so it will be 2 new OCIs (including Renunciation process), plus one conversion? Is it too much complexity to handle in one transaction? OR has anyone done like that. Another related question is if my daughter is even eligible to convert to OCI or not.

Any pointers/help will be appreciated.

Thanks

I just applied for OCI last week. I donno about qs 2. As far as question 1, you can apply for both renunciation and OCI in one shot in the same application. When you fill the OCI application, it will ask whether you have already renounced indian citizenship. If you answer no, then you have to fill out a few extra documents and pay the extra fee. THen send all supporting documents together for OCI and renunciation.

If you are planning to do it separately (altho there is no advantage in that), then you have to renounce first. Then apply for OCI with the renunciation documents.

Thanks gcbayarea. Appreciate that. Do you have a quick cheatsheet/checklist of all what you sent with ur application. In case that will save sometime for me. Thanks in advance.