Information for folks stuck in FBI Name Check

Dude, Do whatever it takes to get the checks cleared, open multiple SRs (if possible), write to FL, write to Ombudsman... Do it before it is too late, it is already too late in your case.

My congressmen/women didn't do a squat! But it could work for you. Best bet is FL and Ombudsman.

Best bet is FL and Ombudsman

Hi what is FL?

Thank you.

How to Contact USCIS and FBI to Check Case Status

Here is an article submitted by a fellow member. Its very informatiive.

1. USCIS Online Status Check
With a case number, you will be able to see the current status and the last updated date (LUD).

You can set up a profile, including user name and password, and create a portfolio that includes all your immigration cases. Then log on and see the latest updates on all of them, such as I-485, I-140, AP, EAD, spouse’s cases, etc. Another useful feature for this option is that you can set up an email alert to receive automatic updates. Note that if there is a LUD change, but the message remains the same, you will not receive an alert.

2. Call National Customer Service at (800) 375 - 5283
Unfortunately, the customer service representatives don't know much more than what the online system shows. So it is not very helpful in most cases. However, on the phone you may place an inquiry with the service center that is processing your case.

3. Place a USCIS Inquiry
If your case is 30 days outside of the current processing dates, you can call customer service ( 800-375-5283) and place an inquiry. The representative will send an online message to the service center, which then mails you a letter in a few weeks to explain why your case hasn't been adjudicated. Recently, the answer is usually "your case is pending security check" or "your case is still within our processing dates."

4. Talk to a Service Center Representative Directly
Still by calling 800-375-5283, you will hear a long list of options. Choosing the right options will lead you to the service center that is processing your case. Because each case is unique, you need to listen to the options carefully and choose the ones that fit your case.

Even if you reach the center, you may be automatically transferred back to general customer service. But sometimes your call will be picked up at the service center. Explain your situation briefly, be polite but persistent, and ask about your case status. They do know a lot more details about your case, but have been instructed not to reveal much information, especially regarding background checks and FBI name checks.

5. Set up an Infopass Appointment
An infopass allows you to talk to an immigration officer directly, who has access to more information than the online system. So this is a better option to check on case status. An officer would be able to tell you whether your FBI name check has been cleared. This information alone is worth a trip for many.

6. Place a Congressional Inquiry
Writing to your senators and/or house representatives is another good option for people whose cases have been pending for a long time. Go to these websites:
and find the congressional representatives for your region. Write a personalized letter to briefly explain your case details (a copy of your i485 receipt notice would help), mention how long it has been pending, and ask for his or her help to inquire about your case status. If you are stuck in FBI name check, and have completed an FOIPA request, send in the response as well which might help.

Some congressional offices are not willing to contact the FBI directly, some will but only if your case is pending for more than one year, yet some will not even respond to your letter. So your mileage may vary. Also you may have to wait several months to receive a response in the mail, possibly due to the increasing number of letters asking for help.

The FBI has clearly stated that congressional inquiry will not help expedite the name check process. However, due to the lack of communication channels with the FBI, even a confirmation that name check is pending is worth the effort for many people anxiously waiting. Sad, but true.

7. FBI Name Check
The FBI is no longer responding to emails sent to FBINNCP@ic.fbi.gov, so a congressional inquiry or infopass with the USCIS may be the only options.

8. FBI Fingerprint Check
Call the FBI at 304-625-5590, and a representative may be able to tell you when the result was sent back to the USCIS. Since it is usually within 24 - 48 hours, this is only useful to confirm that FP was actually processed.

How did you contact TSC? please

I just talked to TSC regarding my case. One IO told me that my case is pending security check. Then she went on to say that this is only a computer problem and its being fixed soon. She told me that visa number is not alloted and will have to wait till October. Up on insisting, she transfered to other officer. Other IO told me that visa number is alloted and pending security check clearance.

What to do now. I want to contact FBI and find out. May I know the number to call? I know I have read here the details to call FBI but do not find now.

How did you contact TSC? please dont answer as POJ. I am trying all combinations and cant get through. appreciate info on that? If you do not want to divulge here can you send a PM?

thanks
kris

How did you contact TSC? please dont answer as POJ. I am trying all combinations and cant get through. appreciate info on that? If you do not want to divulge here can you send a PM?

thanks
kris

Kris,

I have used on POJ code. Its pure luck. You have to try multiple times. Most of the times you are transfered to NSC and if you are lucky, you get connected to Service center IO where your file is pending.

Good luck.

Can you post the sequence for POJ please

Kris,

I have used on POJ code. Its pure luck. You have to try multiple times. Most of the times you are transfered to NSC and if you are lucky, you get connected to Service center IO where your file is pending.

Good luck.

thanks
kris

Stuck in Name Check

I called couple of times and connected to IO and i received different response from each of them.

One said Name check cleared and another one said it's not.
don't know what to do.

I submitted SR on 07/18/2007 no response yet.

Planning to send a letter to House Representative.

PD: Aug 2003
I-485 RD: Dec 2003
FP2: 05/10/2007
I-485 LUD: 06/11/2007
I-140 AD: July 2004

PLEASE respond

Hi Arrakis,

Thanks for this information.

Does this mean that even if the name check is pending and everything else in in order and my case has been pending in TSC for 6 months , that it will get approved ?

Please reply.

Regards,
fj

Hi,

I have finally confirmed couple of things related to pending name-check and pre-adjudication of cases:

1) TSC IO and my Senator' office confirmed that Name Check Pending cases are being assigned to an officer AND pre-adjudicated (i.e. assigned a Visa #!!!)
if:
Case has been pending 180 days at the x-fer'd service center

&

Finger Print results have been received and are good

2) Richard Powers, FBI's Assistant Director of congressional affairs office confirmed that they are expediting cases as they come in from various Representatives and Senators offices - BUT - these expedite requests themselves have a backlog as well! It is approximately a month and a half long backlog.

This is good news for a lot of us who have been thinking we (folks with Name Check Pending) will not be pre-adjudicated. I hope it gives some hope to a few (or lot) of those out there in a similar pickle as myself.

Cheers,
Arrakis

PD: EB3 (India) Sept '01
RD: I-485 Apr '05
Name Check Pending since May '05

Is it me or does POJ really work?

Hi,

I have been trying the POJ method, all is well till the last 1-1-3 and then I get only options 1 or 2, there is no option 4.
I have tried multiple times (close to 10) and I get 1 or 2 as the last options.

I am wondering if anyone else is facing the same issue.

Well I know many of you will say it's my luck and I agree or I wouldn't be here waiting for my 485 application to be approved ;) .

Seriously tho' any insights on POJ would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Here is the POJ code which has been successfully used by many. Try it. Good luck.

dial 1 800 375 5283 then 1-2-2-6-1 enter SRC# then 1-1-3-4 you can talk with imm. officer directly

Good Luck.

Hi Deepa ,

I have received reply for my SR and it came from my local office that they are actively working on my case and they are doing additional review on this case which cause delay . I do not know what they are doing now .

Thanks
Shailesh

Hi Shailesh,
Additional Review is the common reason that they give for covering up their totally messed up process. Local office people are highly ignorant about Employment based cases and most of the time they send back our cases to wrong depts at Service Center. So if possible try to find out if your case is updated in the service center system. The best way to do is contacting your local senator. They definitely will be able to get the most updated information. In our case we came to know from our Senator that there was a clerical error (ofcourse by local office) and that is causing the dealy. Now we have to wait till October . Any ways...try to contact the Senator as soon as possible.
Regards,
Deepa.

Hi Deepa ,

Which would be the best way to contact Senete office ,via email or phone?
what are the papers I have to send them to check my case . I think they will ask receipt no and A# . Please let me know senter name if you contacted his office in New jersey.

Thanks
Shailesh

Hi Shailesh,
Sorry ! I am not from NewJersey and so I can not give you correct /exact information. BUT its always better to go to Senators office 'in person' -its more effective than phone or email. They will need your I-140 receipt and approval notice (to confirm priority date) , I-485 receipt. I read in this forum postings of couple of people from Newjersey who had been to NewJersey Senators office. So doing a search on the same might give you more information. I will let you know if I find any information regarding Newjersey Senator's office.
Thanks,
Deepa.

Senator/congress contact

Best way to contact senator/congress man is sending regular mail.

I sent fax, got reply after 2/3 weeks from both offices that i need to send them with original signature (wasted 3 weeks)

After sending letter, i got ack from senator office thet they received and forwarded to concern office. But from the congress man office, administrator called me and said FBI's processing my request and let me know in 45 days ( now morethan 2 monts though)

Deepa and Smooth ,

Thanks for reply , I really proud and glad having people like you and other helping each other . I will talk to Senetor office on Monday and will go personally to check my case . I will persue hard with these immigration people to get some clerification of so called review .

Thanks again .

Hi Shailesh,
Yesterday my husband got his physical green card. There was no approval notice, no online updates etc. Online status still has case transferred to local office blahablah...information. So our local Senator gave us exact and accurate info. I am still waiting for mine. Hopefully that will be done soon.What ever information we go back from Vermont SC for our Service Request was old information. They did not update the system with the new information from local office and sent us the standard answer -pending security check. So don't loose hopes. Try contacting ur Senator asap .
Thanks,
Deepa.

Deepa ,

Thanks congratulations to your husband for GC . Only some can understand joy of getting GC who stuck with this kind of prblem . I hope you will get it soon . Good Luck . I am calling Senete office now .

Regards
Shailesh

Hi Shailesh,
Yesterday my husband got his physical green card. There was no approval notice, no online updates etc. Online status still has case transferred to local office blahablah...information. So our local Senator gave us exact and accurate info. I am still waiting for mine. Hopefully that will be done soon.What ever information we go back from Vermont SC for our Service Request was old information. They did not update the system with the new information from local office and sent us the standard answer -pending security check. So don't loose hopes. Try contacting ur Senator asap .
Thanks,
Deepa.

How do you get the GC, is it in normal mail or priority/express mail? I mean does the mailman give it in your hand or just leave it in mailbox?