Info regarding signing the naturalization certificate.

g10783

Registered Users (C)
Hi All,

I went to post office to apply for my passport and the guy at the passport counter made me to sign my certificate (even though I had written my name as they ask to do at the oath ceremony). The guy told me that my passport application would be rejected if I don't print my name and sign on the certificate, even though I told him that they might be problems with the certificate in the future and the guy was not budging and I ended up signing the certificate. My question is what problems will I be having in the future because of this. If any one could please share there experiences on this I would really appreciate it.

Thanks.

i thought you should sign the naturalization cert, rather than print the name. Anyhow, the "signature" on the naturalization cert should match with the signature on the pic which is mounted on the cert.

ocworker said:
i thought you should sign the naturalization cert, rather than print the name. Anyhow, the "signature" on the naturalization cert should match with the signature on the pic which is mounted on the cert.

According to the instructions, you should do exactly the way you wrote your name on the picture. If you printed your name on the picture, you should print your name on the certificate the way it is on the picture; and if you signed your picture you should sign the certificate in the same manner.

Instructions?

fitness99 said:
According to the instructions, you should do exactly the way you wrote your name on the picture. If you printed your name on the picture, you should print your name on the certificate the way it is on the picture; and if you signed your picture you should sign the certificate in the same manner.

I was asked to print my name on my picture during the interview. If anyone has the actual instructions for signing the certificate, could you please post it here?
Thanks,
v_m

Everybody is required to SIGN the Certificate of Naturalization. I noticed that some people PRINTED their names on the certificate which is wrong. But once you have PRINTED your name on the certificate then obviously you can't erase it. Read the certificate it states: complete and true signature of holder!

During the interview I was asked to write my name in cursive on the pictures and application form. This is not my signature.....my signature is a messy combination of print and cursive and there does not match the signature on my driver's licence or credit cards.
Is there a reason why USCIS does not let you use your usual signature on the application or pictures?

bashar82 said:
During the interview I was asked to write my name in cursive on the pictures and application form. This is not my signature.....my signature is a messy combination of print and cursive and there does not match the signature on my driver's licence or credit cards.
Is there a reason why USCIS does not let you use your usual signature on the application or pictures?

in fact, i read / heard i should write my name in cursive on the pictures. however, i was asked to sign the picture with my new name.

I was asked to " legibly print my name" in the pictures and in the certificate it says signature of the true holder. So you have to sign your certificate w/ your new/old name which ever uis applicable, not print

Thank you all for the replies. On the certficate it says to print and sign. During the interview I was asked to sign in cursive way and I did it and the officer told me that I should do the same thing on the certficate. But the person in the post office was saying that generally people at the INS office have tough time explaining this to people and they end up coming back again if there passport application is returned because of the signature problem. He also mentioned that signature on the passport application should match the signature on the certificate and not the cursive name we write on the certificate. As I needed the passport urgently because of my prior travel commitments, I went and signed the certificate and I don't know what's going to happen with the certificate because of the conflicting information.

Thanks a lot.

abs49080 said:
I was asked to " legibly print my name" in the pictures and in the certificate it says signature of the true holder. So you have to sign your certificate w/ your new/old name which ever uis applicable, not print
abs49080, I was told the same thing by the officer ie. to legibly print my name on the picture. If I understand correctly, you printed your name on the photos, and then signed in cursive your full name on your certificate and that worked fine for the passport, right? I just want to make sure because I hate last minute surprises :D

v_m

v_m said:
abs49080, I was told the same thing by the officer ie. to legibly print my name on the picture. If I understand correctly, you printed your name on the photos, and then signed in cursive your full name on your certificate and that worked fine for the passport, right? I just want to make sure because I hate last minute surprises :D

v_m

V_M~

Yes, you got it right! Just make sure when you sign your passport application,it should match the same signature as your naturalization certificate...

I got my naturalization certificate today at the oath ceremony. Here are the instructions they handed out for signing the certificate.

PROPER SIGNATURE FOR YOUR NATURALIZATION CERTIFICATE
Your naturalization certificate is not valid until you sign it. You must sign your certificate in cursive, and the signature must match your name as it is printed on the certificate. DO NOT USE INITIALS
This is followed by a sample signature.

Just thought it might help someone in the future.