info needed on travel to Canada with GC

GRamesh

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
we have physical Green Cards. We want to visit Canada during this long weekend. Do we need any visitor's visa for the visit? what documentation need to be carried during the visit?
thanks for your input.
-ramesh

Carrying green cards in essential, but carry the passports as an additional identification, which they most likely won't ask for.

GRamesh said:
Hi,
we have physical Green Cards. We want to visit Canada during this long weekend. Do we need any visitor's visa for the visit? what documentation need to be carried during the visit?
thanks for your input.
-ramesh

No, you don't need a Canadian visa.
A passport and a green card would be sufficient documentation for such a trip.

GRamesh said:
Hi,
thanks for your input.
-ramesh

Just passport & Greencard.
We are also visiting canada this weekend. Hope there wont be any issues.

Gramesh...are you driving or flying up to canada ???

One more thing...keep a record of when you left and came to the US. In most cases yoy don't get a stamp in your passport. This will come in handy if you decide to apply for naturalixation later because you have to list all the trips abroad on your N-400 application.

sg_orl said:
One more thing...keep a record of when you left and came to the US. In most cases yoy don't get a stamp in your passport. This will come in handy if you decide to apply for naturalixation later because you have to list all the trips abroad on your N-400 application.

thats a good tip. will keep that in mind.

BTW, we just got back from our weekend canada trip. The only questions the officer asked me while return where:
1) who petitioned my greencard (as well as my wife's)
2) what did i buy from canada...
..and that was it.

pv1976 said:
thats a good tip. will keep that in mind.

BTW, we just got back from our weekend canada trip. The only questions the officer asked me while return where:
1) who petitioned my greencard (as well as my wife's)
2) what did i buy from canada...
..and that was it.

When you entered to Canada, did you have to show your passport to the Canada Immigration Officer? Since Canada required my coutry to have a visa to enter Canada, I wonder if I can just use my green card not my passport.

SJOrl
The fact that you have green card, you won't need a visa to visit canada even if other citizens of your country require a visa. No need to hide your passport

SJOrl said:
When you entered to Canada, did you have to show your passport to the Canada Immigration Officer? Since Canada required my coutry to have a visa to enter Canada, I wonder if I can just use my green card not my passport.

You dont need visa if you have greencard. While entering I gave my passport and greencard to the officer. He didnt ask for any other documents.

PS: I hold an Indian passport.