Info help for RN already in US

cipriani

Hello everybody,
I am an RN already in US. Currently I work in a hospital under my OPT. The OPT will expire in July '07. My employer will file this month for my GC,( I-140, I-485 and a new EAD). Will I still be in good status and be able to work after my OPT will expire, while my Green Card application is pending, or do I have to maybe go back to school and extend my F-1 status?
Thank you very much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, after some research, I found the answer, I think( I'm posting just in case someone else is curious). Since there are no visa numbers available as of now for Schedule A, this means that my employer can only file the I-140 now. The I-485 and the pettition for a new EAD can be filed when visa numbers become available again. This means that when the current EAD expires in July, I will remain legal for 60 days, and after that I will be out of status unless prior I go back to school and enroll for a different degree, and wait for visa numers availability.I am still not 100% sure about being an F-1, nonimmigrant and at the same time file for an immigrant pettition, but I understand that it will be okay. Please correct me if I have the wrong information.
Thanks.

visa

yes you are correct that you can not file for I-485 until visas are current....either you enroll in another course or unfortunately have to go back to your country.....

goodluck

You guys are correct.. Once OPT expires, you have to wait for the visa numbers to become available to apply for your 485 and EAD so that you can start working again.

Cipriani,

I am in a similar situation like you, though my OPT starts in May 07 till May 08. Can you please PM me, I have some questions for you since you have already gone through this route.

Thanks

Take opportunity to study further like BSN, MSN etc

Yes, that was my thought. But even though I have been in US for almost about 5 years and already graduated with an Associate Degree here in US, the 4 year universities(BSN) are charging me as a foreign student, which is a little too pricey for me right now.