Indian Visa or OCI?

bhartiya_12

Registered Users (C)
I have applied for my US citizenship and hope to get it soon. I'm wondering if a long term Indian Visa or OCI is the best option.

What are the benefits of OCI as compared to a normal India Visa for 10 years or so? What is the cost of OCI or a long term visa to India.

Thanks

OCI costs $270 and is good for life (you will have to get a new visa stamp when you get a new passport in future).

Visa costs $170 for a 10 year multiple entry visa.

OCI costs $270 and is good for life (you will have to get a new visa stamp when you get a new passport in future).

You don't have to. You can travel with your current US Passport, and the expired passport that has the stamp in the passport.

OCI comes in two parts, a booket (sometimes called card) and a Sticker placed in your passport. When you land in India, you have to carry both.

So the sticker is to be placed on my US passport. Correct? Do I place it on my passport when I get the OCI card and the sticker?

Apart from the fee being different from OCI and Visa what are the other main differences between OCI and a 10 yr Visa?

Apart from the fee being different from OCI and Visa what are the other main differences between OCI and a 10 yr Visa?
Check out:
http://www.indianembassy.org/consular/Overseas_Citizen/OCI.html

Benefits to OCI:

A registered OCI shall avail the benefits of :
(i) A multiple entry, multi-purpose life long visa for visiting India
(ii) Exemption from registration with local police authority for any length of stay in India
(iii) Parity with Non-resident Indians (NRIs) in respect of economic, financial and educational fields, except in relation to acquisition of agricultural or plantation properties.
Any other benefits extended to OCIs will be notified by the Ministry of Overseas Indian Affairs (MOIA) under Section 7B(1) of the Citizenship Act, 1955 from time to time.