Indian Pride!

Kakatiya_King

Registered Users (C)
I have been following closely Kalpana's Achievements since her 2nd mission on January 16th...

I know that most of the News channels are not highlighting her compared to Ilan Ramon or other Austronauts, FOX is always right wing, NBC right centric, CBS is ok, CNN used to be anti India but especially this tragic event they covered pretty well...we have to blame our Indian Emabassy for not doing their homework and there is no way you can bank on these news channels in my view...

Particularly i was impressed with coverage by BBC & Washington Post,

Here are the few links which helps everyone to understand little more about this Indian Heroine....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/2716967.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/2716961.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/2717281.stm
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A12702-2003Feb1.html
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A13450-2003Feb2.html

Kakatiya_King ,

You very well said. I was shocked when I heard the initial negative comments about Kalpana Chawla during that sad moment. Thanks for the links you provided. What ever may be these biased news channels say-All Indians are proud of her.

GcInfo1971.

Dear Mr King, You bring up very good and important point here. But there is lot of people among us Like niwea, gctakingtoolong and ip11, as long as we have these Madaris(snake charmers) and Yahoos in our society we can not expect much and will have to settle with whatever we have been given. These fucking jokers don't find anything wrong with Indian Embassy.

Last edited by a moderator:
The reason Ilan Ramon got a lot of publicity from the news coverage is that he is the only one foreigner in the entire crew. Also the Israeli embassy/Govt, which is generally better than the Indian embassy/Govt in terms of everything jumped to the occasion. Kalpana Chawla, on the other hand has become a US citizen and there is no reason she needs to be given special consideration comapred to the six others. Obviously, the news media looks for spectacular news that sells.

I also agree that the Indian embassy in the US is a joker unit. Forget about coming out and talking to the press, they can't even properly do the job of granting visas and passports. I happened to attend one of the speeches given by the amassador. After that I was convinced why India does not even come up on the radar screen in the US.

What is the impression we/ indian govt give to out side world ? All our international airports, books, many movies glorify the poverty. People are greeted with big hordings of poverty sticken camel holding guys. I am not agianst any poor person. But they are not the only one in India. Many beautiful architectures, people, rich culture are there. We need to promote those. Show the best what you have. People like Satyachit ray defamed India and made unrecoverable damages.
I go to Library, just out of curiosoty on India - and I see all books having the cover pages of these snake charmers etc.
I felt very bad. We need to show atleast the both sides of the coin.

In a small effort to show positive side of our country, we put up a stall in our daughters school on International night. That was successful - many people came to us to tell thay wonder on the silk saris, music, food, movies and FACTS

Tell more than what it is. That is waht these us people are used to.
Just like super bowl - all exaggerated lies.

Nice collection

Now atleast crooks at CNN know India sends technicians not terrorists like bunch of other nations

Come on gentlemen. Indian government was always lousy in tapping the situation. There is no doubts about that. Otherwise many talented people from India would have remained in India, not in abroad. So let us not blame that again and again.

Our Indian nation feels proud about some national leaders like Laloo Prasad, Mulayam singh, Jayalalitha... who has no vision except their own financial dreams. As long as such people are treated as national leaders, VIPS, etc whatever you call, it is too much to expect any foreign based broadcasting service to priase india. Because they are confused too. Hopefully the current younger generation may realize such facts and change the leadership in future elections.

Do not cry about CNN. When TW merged with AOL, they signed their death warrant. Given this mean & sinking situation for the folks at CNN, what else you expect from a mean broad casting service.

The politicians are always bad. Look at countries like Japan and Italy that have their govts dissolved because of corruption allegations.

I personally think it is the freedom you have that counts. No doubt people in India enjoy a lot of freedom, in fact they abuse that freedom:). I am talking about economic freedom where you don't have to pay a lot of indirect taxes, licenses and registration fees to run the fat and corrupt Government.

Let's do our part!

I agree with GC_Ka_Jhanjhat 100%. Somehow, we love to portray India as a poor country, though in my knowledge it's one of the most progressive countries in the world. No matter how much we crib, most of us are here due to our exceptionally good education system, maybe very demanding, but isn't that the reason why we can work so hard and succeed!!

It's sad that instead of projecting the positive side of India and promoting tourism, we discourage and scare people away, by constantly complaining, cribbing and glorifying the poverty, corruption and other health problems. Which country doesn't have them? But If we have nothing positive to say about India, Atleast SHUT UP!

Thanks to our inefficient and lousy Indian Embassies & govt., I am only too hopefull of any dramatic change overnight.

I, on my part, am doing my bit of improving the battered image of India by mentioning the beauty and serenity of Himalayas and encouraging people I meet to take vacation there. Pure and simple!

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, Folks Great !!!!!

The Indian Embassy officials have a typical BABU mentality. The Ambassador is extremely passive and quite. Where are all the dynamic IFS ( Indian Foriegn Service) Boys and girls who come from the country's private school background ? We need officials who can communicate and corresspond with the media and world press, have the capability to influence the press and official - who can articulate the country's position clearly to the masses. Countries like Israel, Pakistan and even Afghanistan recognize this and send their most brilliant people to the US, UN to represent their country.

Throw these BUMS out - get the best ! For India deserves only the best !

How do we do this ? Well On our part, we have to put lot of pressure on Indian embassy as well as External affair ministry as well as Prime ministers office in Indian Government. We have to let these people know that they should not take this job lightly.

We have to bring the best and brightest from India, who have these skills.

Please search for Indian Embassy in USA and Government of India and put some Pressure.