Indian Passport renewal for Minor in USA

ilovehindimovie

This document have been prepared to help people who want to renew passport for their son/daughter in USA. All the information provided below is only for informational purpose, for any specific issue call the embassy. Now Indian embassy accepts only forms filled and printed from their website.

1. use IE, it does not work properly in Firefox
2. go to web site of the consulate for your jurisdiction
3. Go in the passport section
4. click on “PASSPORT FOR A MINOR CHILD”
5. click on the “application form.”, a new window will open which will show you the appointment date and time, note down it and accept it, it will open the form (on 10-may-2009 it says that the certificate was expired, I guess you do not have any option except clicking “Continue to this website (not recommended).”, once you click it will open the form)
6. fill the form
7. in the service desired, choose: Passport for the children upto 15 years of age

8. Address to be printed in the passport:
Whichever address you put here, it will show in the form column of “Address in India”

9. Other address:
Whichever address you put here, it will show in field “In country of domicile”

I prefer to put my USA address in both the fields, it is your wish what you want to do. Because once you print the form, it will have a space for emergency address in there, so you can put your india address in the field.
10. once you are done filling the application, click Save
11. review the application again, because once you save it can not be updated
12. it will show you appointment date/time, if you want, you can change it now and go ahead

13. when you are done, it will open the form in “pdf”
14. print this form
15. many of the fields are NOT filled, which you have to fill now using pen
16. paste one photo in the space provided, put other 3 pictures in a envelope and attach with the form
17. your son/daughter has to sign at 4 places
18. mother and father have to sign the form in line no. 28
19. make a Xerox of the filled form(it has a no. which can be useful if later, you want to inquire about your application)
20. print “Change of appearance form” from the embassy website, now they need it for every minor’s passport renewal
21. Attach all the documents with the form
(Here is the list as per my knowledge)
a. Printed Online application
b. Address Proofs (2)
c. Pictures
d. Birth Certificate
e. Notarized Change of appearance form
f. Copy of the Green Card or I-94
g. Copy of parents passport
h. Copy of the Parents Green Card or I-94
i. Money Order ($25) for Passport fees
j. Money order ($20) for Express mail
k. Old Passport
22. You can send it by FedEx or USPS; I would highly recommend keeping proof of everything including mailing tracking no. etc.
23. Wait for at least 25 working days, in the mean time if you are curious that your application is being processed or not, after 15 working days, check the status of the money order you sent, if the money was withdrawn, it means your application is under process.
24. If you send the application by mail, you will save yourself from big hassle of going there waiting in line and submitting the application.

I got my daughter's new passport in 1 month, but I would not worry for 25 working days.

Please post your experience here in this post, so that it can help others.

Hi Everyone
I am new to the forum and thread. I need suggestions based on experiences regarding a trip to India. My baby was born in US and both parents are Indians. We would like to retain Indian citizenship for our baby and I am aware as to how that could be done. We are also planning to take our baby to India this July and bring him back to US. I understand that having Indian passport will enable him to visit India without any hassles however it may be diffcult for him to enter US. I want to do this because we want to stay two or three years here in Us and go back to India permanantly after that period during this time want to take the baby to India only once. It would be of great help if anybody gave me suggestions of hassle free only once travel to india and back to US. Is it good to take AirIndia and travel through London or take Lufthansa and travel through Germany ? Is is possible to enter US with a birthcertificate ? or any other possible please let me know. Thanks

A US citizen is required to have a US passport to enter US, there is no other way.

US will not give your US born child a visa. You should then apply for a US passport for your child (otherwise you can't return to US at all)

After that get a PIO card which is valid for 15 years. Once you return to India, the child (once the child is 18 years old) can decide if he/she wants to retain Indian passport or US. If Indian citizenship is desired at that point, he/she will have to renounce US citizenship at a US consulate and surrender US passport. If not, the PIO card allows one to remain in India (although it requires registration with FRRO every 6 months) as long as it is renewed every 15 years. PIO card offers most of the facilities an NRI gets in India.

Don't take away the child's citizenship options now, let the child decide for himself/herself.

Thankyou so much nkm-oct23 for you quick reply. I am aware of all the things that you posted but since I read in some of the threads that folks have made successful trip (if not trips) to India and back to Us with an Indian PP for their US born child, I was wondering if I could do the same thing as we plan to take our son onlly once to India and back to US in July and then later after 3 years go back permnently to India. This I want to do to retain his Indiancitizenship while he grows there as I have also heard that school and colleges education is expensive for NRIs/PIO card holders. Please let me know if I could do a only once trip to Indian and back to US with an Indian passport for my child. Thanks again for you reply

As I said before, US will not let an Indian passport holder in without a visa and US will not issue a visa to a US born person. You have no choice but to apply for a US passport for your child.

However, you can also apply for an Indian passport first at the nearest Indian consular post (before you get your child a US passport) and not use it for travel now but use it once you return to India for good. In any case you will need a visa for your child in order to get into India for the first visit.

In summary:
1) Apply for a Indian passport first;
2) Apply for a US passport after you get the Indian passport;
3) Get an Indian visa on the US passport for your one trip to India;
4) For the final trip to India use Indian passport to enter India.

As I said before, US will not let an Indian passport holder in without a visa and US will not issue a visa to a US born person. You have no choice but to apply for a US passport for your child.

However, you can also apply for an Indian passport first at the nearest Indian consular post (before you get your child a US passport) and not use it for travel now but use it once you return to India for good. In any case you will need a visa for your child in order to get into India for the first visit.

In summary:
1) Apply for a Indian passport first;
2) Apply for a US passport after you get the Indian passport;
3) Get an Indian visa on the US passport for your one trip to India;
4) For the final trip to India use Indian passport to enter India.

Hi nkm-oct23, i do not think we should be keeping Indian Passport once we received US Passport. As I understand, as soon as one gets other contries Passport, he/she has to handover the Indian Passport.

Has anyone did this without any problems?

Queries on applying renewal for minor child in US

Hi

I am applying for the renewal of my minor son Indian Passport at chicago consulate by mail. I have following few question. It will be great if some one can answer them

1) Is it required to send the old passport in original to the consulate?

2) Is it required to send Address proof and Birth certificate in original to the consulate?

3) Is address proof on parents name is sufficient as an adress proof for the minor child ( like electricity bill and lease agreement on fathers name in US)?

4) Is it required to submit any address proof for the address provided in India in the application?

If it has been decided to submit the application in person at the consulate, Is it mandatory to go along with the spouse and minor child?

Any suggestions and commnets are highly appreciated?