Indian PAN number

jllag1

Registered Users (C)
I have a current PAN number issued to me almost 10 years ago. I just became a US citizen and expect my OCI in 3 months. Will that number still be valid or I do have to apply as a NRI? Any thoughts on the PAN numbers for IT purposes? My kid is a born US citizen and she has a PIO card. Is it advisable to apply for PAN for her (can can I?) if she will inherit indian real estate from family?

Yes you can retain the same PAN number. I just did so. I informed my bank and brokerage of my change in status to OCI and I was told that they would inform the income tax dept.

As for your child, I am under the impression that a minor is not issued a PAN number- I could be wrong on thisso please verify

I have a NRE account with Citibank. So, I need to update my status with them in regards to my US citizenship/OCI and give my PAN number to them for them to update with IT dept in India?

yes that is my understanding.
Once I took up US citizenship and obtained an OCI I emailed the bank and they stated that I needed tos end them a copy of my OCI card- I will continue to enjoy the same benefits of an NRI. (If one takes up foreign citizenship and does not obtain an OCI/PIO status the rules are very different).

Update PAN Card

Does any one knows what is the procedure to get old PAN card replaced with new Smart Chip card
I have old Laminated one

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems that the UTITSL has problems, but the NSDL is better. I still haven't figured out as to how to pay using credit card. On the NSDL site, the pay by credit card option is grayed out... Also, I don't know where to send my application... Any ideas?

EDIT: It seems if your address is outside India, you can only pay by DD, payable at Mumbai. How does one get that? :confused: You also have to get proof of address verified by the Indian consulate.... I wish the Indian consulate helps out in getting PAN... Just like US embassy helps out with SSA...

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems that the UTITSL has problems, but the NSDL is better. I still haven't figured out as to how to pay using credit card. On the NSDL site, the pay by credit card option is grayed out... Also, I don't know where to send my application... Any ideas?

EDIT: It seems if your address is outside India, you can only pay by DD, payable at Mumbai. How does one get that? :confused: You also have to get proof of address verified by the Indian consulate.... I wish the Indian consulate helps out in getting PAN... Just like US embassy helps out with SSA...

For getting a Deman Draft in rupees, you can either have your relatives/friends obtain one for you, or if you have an NRI account in certain banks, they offer this service as well.

Go to https://tin.tin.nsdl.com/pan/Instructions49A.html#instruct_documents
Look at item 4 for foreign citizens. It seems that if you sumbit a copy of your foreign passport when you are living outside India, it need not be attested. I'm not sure but maybe you can get it notarized anyway just for safe measure?
If you want to get documents attested by an Indian mission, I think they might be offering attestation services. Their websites should say something under 'Miscellaneous Services'.

The PAN application materials should be mailed to the '.... Mumbai - 400013' address- it's given in the links that you have provided.

Let us know how you make out. All the best.

tax, loan related question

What are the things I should take care of, if I have taken loan in india
for buying property as NRI(green card holder). Should I repay it and close it before going for US citizenship and OCI ?

Because I see that after US citizenship and getting OCI there is a period where you are only US citizen, and legally that is against the status on which you have taken loan. Same can apply for tax filing in india.

Are there any steps I should be taking before going for US citizenship in such cases.