Indian National: What steps to take after obtaining American Citizen

stinger

Registered Users (C)
Hi

I applied for N-400. Have FP coming up soon. Hope I will get my N-400 approved soon.

I have below questions. Please suggest me initial answers then I will go and research.

[A] My marriage plans got screwed up due to my GC. My plan is to get married to someone in India after I get US passport? The girl most probably will be in India, she will have no American Visa yet (F1, H1 etc)

a1) How do I go about this? Should I apply for I-130, K1 or K2 or fiancee Visa.?
a2) Is it prudent for her to come here on visitor VISA nd then we get married once we back in India or maybe here itself? Basically what sort of Visa and travel she should she avoid?
a3) What is the waiting time for her to join me once I apply?

How do I renounce Indian passport?
b1) What Indian visa should I get - PIO, OCI ?

[C] Can I apply for GC to my parents, while they are here in Visitor VISA ?

[D] Can I sponsor for GC to other ralatives - nephew/niece or distant ralative?

Please give me initial answers, I am o.k with matters up to I-765 and now n-400 BUT this family based quota, fiance visas and travel slip-ups are totally beyond me or suggest me which forum to post these questions.

Thank You

Stinger, Oh boy getting married after getting GC and Citizenship is a long long wait. Anyways, I think she will get priority once you get the citizenship and there are lot of forums which will help for the right visa.

Please do not do the mistake of bringing her on visitor visa and get into the web of homeland security. Once you get the citizenship, I think it will be easy for your wife to join.

As far as Indian pp renounciation is concerned it is my suggestion that if you are planning your wedding as soon as you get the US Citizen is done, then go for India visitor visa. The reason is, once you apply for Indian PIO or OCI it takes anywhere between 3 to 6 months. Now with the outsourcing crap, it is HELL.

If you are ready to take a ride in that Hell, then I would suggest OCI. OCI is lifetime and you don't have to deal with those idiots again in future unless you screw up yourself. If not, PIO is good for 20 years, but this will also take anywhere between 2 to 4 months. Neither of them is easy and it will be nightmare.

As far as your parents GC is concerned, it's not a good idea to apply for GC when they are in visitor Visa. They might run into issues. Let them come on visitor visa, have them enjoy their stay with you and you can start the processing as soon as they leave back to India.

You can sponsor GC for other relatives. It takes time.

Thx Mogalgiddi

Yes its a long long journey. Totally depressing to even look back at what it has done.

Thanks for the info on OCI/PIO/tourist VISA, got a better idea now.

One more question,
> so I file I-130 for spouse and then do what? File I-485 as well at the same time?
> Is there a way for her to visit even for short trips while that I-130/I-485 are filed/pending? under what VISA? so that I can go/read/post under that forums