Indian Citizenship Surrender - New Ruling - Options?

sam012007

Registered Users (C)
The new ruling seems to have come on May 7th 2010, which currently seems to be the effective date.

I know there are people who have sent their documents for OCI to various Indian Embassy across US and Embassy has received the documents before May 7th (Including mine).

It will be really unreasonable and unprofessional for the embassy folks to force these people to pay $175 and fulfill all the new requirements. I know at least 1 person who has received his/family documents back from embassy today (he sent the docs on April 24, received on April 26) asking for more money.

What are our options:
1) Send money and think that we donated that money
2) ..?
3) ..?

Anybody here has some type of legal expertize and shed some light, to what should be done?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just pay up and be done with it.

Only if it was that easy ... :) I would've ... these morons are changing rules every day and asking for things that you won't even have with you now ... a color copy of Green Card ... who will have after getting the US Citizenship?

Just pay up and be done with it.

Not really - you have to pay and get the surrender certificate - wait for the certificate through mail then send it OCI cell division (for all those who already submitted OCI App)
you need to know and how to make money

nothing is clear with these idiots

ok. they change the rules. Atleast they should give information for what to do.
why dont they give details on the website itself, what to do for the pple whose OCI applications processings is inprogeress.
why dont they send an email to all of the applications inprogress to send $175 each.

Rather they are sending the entire package back, one guy in DC forum has received his package back ... what a mess ... I can't believe he has lost his 3 weeks and I am in the same boat.

i have paid this amount for me and for my family of 10 members ..and this is applicable for each...you know..

I sent my OCI package to San Francisco center on 6th May. The fedex return label tracking shows that something is being sent back now. After 2 weeks, I am back to starting point. All that they need is $175 (as my Indian passport is already with them), they should have sent me an email than sending the entire package back. It is so unfair.

Can you ask them to pay for the lost 2-3 weeks? LOL that would be unfair right ... rants ... rants ... I am still waiting on my package to show up back ...

I received mine today. On the check-list they marked missing a) $175 for Indian citizenship renunciation and b) US passport in Original. I was anyway expecting the first reason. I don't understand why I need to send my original US passport at first. I enclosed a detailed covering letter mentioning that I will send the US passport once the status changes to granted as I may have to travel to other countries (not to India). Indian embassy -SF also clearly mentions this option of sending US passport later based on OCI application status. Do they expect that everyone can lock the US passport for at least 45 days with them?

The consulate website keeps changing every day. They are modifying the language/Form everyday since this new rule came in to effect.
Now they want signature to be notarised, earlier it was form.
Even the document requirement is different on different areas.

Form says you should send Copy of US passport, the webpage does not mention about US passport.

God bless ........................