India travel via Singapore (2 day stay) do I need Transit Visa?

KiranGreene

Registered Users (C)
I searched thru the forums for an answer but didn't find any clear answers.

I am going to India in a few weeks via Singapore Airlines. I have an approved Advance Parole (no valid H1 stamp in passport - only H1 approval papers). So I am going to India on Advance Parole.

I am planning to spend 2 days in Singapore with my friend (who is a Singapore Permanent resident). Do I need an transit visa?

Thanks,
Kiran

KiranGreene said:
I searched thru the forums for an answer but didn't find any clear answers.

I am going to India in a few weeks via Singapore Airlines. I have an approved Advance Parole (no valid H1 stamp in passport - only H1 approval papers). So I am going to India on Advance Parole.

I am planning to spend 2 days in Singapore with my friend (who is a Singapore Permanent resident). Do I need an transit visa?

Thanks,
Kiran

Call up Singapore consulate. They are the most reliable source (instead of this forum). If you are Indian citizen, probably you do need visa to go out of airport terminal.

You have to be a US PR holder, with h1 they sometimes allow you to stay for upto 4 days, but depends on the immigration officer. I went there twice on h1 the second time they allowed me in, but said next time get a visit visa.

About Advance Parole. I have no idea.

no you don't

I have traveled stoping twice in singapore during my India trip. Both the times I got the transit visa @ the Singapore airport and was never questioned my motive as it was clear to the immigration officer that i was stoping over in singapore for just a visit. So in case if questioned i would answer that my residence is USA and also clarify that i 'm just a tourist interested in shoping and this would certainly help in the 5 min transit visa procedure.

Good luck.

Mr. GoneCrazy :)

Did you travel by AP when you got transit visa in Singapore?

If yes (i.e., you did travel by AP), then did you already book the singapore to India flight (or singapore to US flight) as if you will stop over in Singapore or did you reschedule your flight after you got the transit visa.

my question is, if I bought a ticket with a 2 day stay in Singapore and don't get the transit visa, what do I do?

I guess these are a lot of dumb questions :D

-K

Just a quick update for the benefit of others ... I went to and came back from India via singapore (stopover for 2 days) on Advance Parole.

I was not sure about getting a quick transit visa on-the-spot at the Singapore airport, so to be sure, before I traveled out of the country I applied for a visa at the Singapore consulate in san francisco (took about 4 working days to get it.) Ofcourse, once I got the singapore visa in my passport, all the questions I had about advance parole etc were irrelevant.

You will need transit visa

I have traveled via singapore in may this year. I was not let out of the airport into singapore because I did not have a valid visa stamping on my passport. I had a valid AP and EAD with me. They knew what an AP is but it was not good enough to get a transit visa at the singapore airport.

How ever if you do not plan on leaving the airport and go into the city then it is ok. You can get a singapore visa before leaving.

Last edited by a moderator: