India PIO Card After US Citizenship

Rahul

I have done the prosess for my kids, who are US citizens. I sent in application with theier passport copies, their picturesmy Indian Passporrt copies and a check.

We applied to the San Francisco office. It took them about 3 weeks to prosess it. I had also sent in additional $15 for DHL to ensure safe and timely delievery.

Here is the link to the Consulate page.

http://www.indianconsulate-sf.org/

Visa vs PIO

Would it not be cheaper to get a visa rather than a PIO for the short term-and then later down the road (maybe in a few months) apply for the Overseas indian Passport.

Getting a PIO at this point in time, may be a waste of time and money-or not?

Any comments appreciated.

Re: Visa vs PIO

Originally posted by 2B1Citizen
Would it not be cheaper to get a visa rather than a PIO for the short term-and then later down the road (maybe in a few months) apply for the Overseas indian Passport.

Getting a PIO at this point in time, may be a waste of time and money-or not?

Any comments appreciated.

My thoughts...

If there is no urgency...it is probably cheaper to get a short term visa and then apply for the OIC passport sometime in June - July 2004.

This is what I plan to do going forward... :)

Dunno when the Indian Dual CZ is going to be effective and how long it will take to adopt it.

Another issue. By taking Indian CZ (dual) would we be endangering our newly acquired US CZ? Are there legal requirements to fullfil? When the Indian dual CZ becomes effective , I dont want to be the first in line to go get it, as we dont know how that will affect US CZ.

What do others think?

Are there multiple entry visas for india, and if so what do they cost?

Fitness99: my plan of action is similar to yours.

Rahul:
1. I am not optimistic with the way Indian Bureaucracy works. I am guessing it will take at least a year for basic procedures to emerge concerning the dual citizenship issue.

2. No US citizenship is not endangered with dual citizenship-unless you are actively involved with and actively participate in the politics or armed forces of another country. Some of my friends have Irish, Italian, Philipino and other passports for a number of years-no problemo.

3. Yes there are several visa categories for India. A 10 year tourist visa costs $150. A PIO costs $310. Shorter visa durations are 6mon, 1 yr and 5 yrs and are cheaper.

2B1:

>3. Yes there are several visa categories for India. A 10 year >tourist visa costs $150. A PIO costs $310. Shorter visa durations >are 6mon, 1 yr and 5 yrs and are cheaper.

If one has to work in India, then he/she has to
apply for a business visa? And aren't a business visa
tied to one employer, which means you won't be able
to change work with the same visa?

I think with a PIO card you are free to work with any company?

BB:confused:

Originally posted by asathe
Rahul

I have done the prosess for my kids, who are US citizens. I sent in application with theier passport copies, their picturesmy Indian Passporrt copies and a check.

Sathe:

Did you send any originals like your passports or kids passport or only copies when you applied for PIO?

Thanks
Kashi

Re: Re: India PIO Card After US Citizenship

Originally posted by chanakya101
My friend got his PIO card. It looks like a passport.

Did he have to send original US and Indian passport?

Thanks
Kashi

Kashinath,

No , I did not send any originals. I sent copies of my Indian Passport, and copies of the kids's US passport. Two copies of their photos were required. The kids had to put a thumbprint in place of the signature on the application form.
The PIO card looks almost like a passport.