India Dual Citizenship Mega Thread (Merged)

The India Dual Citizenship will be Operational:

• In 2003

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • In 2004

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Sometime after 2004

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • I am skeptical if this will happen

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
fitness99 said:
Looks like Houston is steaming...My application went to granted status on April 2 :D :p

I hope this was not an April Fool's Joke :D
Looks like all the embassies and consulates have got their act together so far as processing applications go...Let's see how well they do as far as the stickers and cards go :)

mangal969 said:
I hope this was not an April Fool's Joke :D
Looks like all the embassies and consulates have got their act together so far as processing applications go...Let's see how well they do as far as the stickers and cards go :)

No, it was not a joke :D

Houston finally seems to be catching up on their processing. They have set all available files numbers to "under process" on March 31, and "granted" a whole bunch of them on April 1/2. Let's see when they actually notify people to send in the passports for the final step.

fitness99 said:
Looks like Houston is steaming...My application went to granted status on April 2 :D :p

Same here... My application also went to granted status on April 1st... :D

Now keeping my fingers crossed to see when I hear from them about the Visa Stickers...

Question on notarized copy of the passport...

Appreciate if the folks that have successfully gotten their OCIs processed to respond to these questions:

1. Do we have to submit the copy of each and every page of the passport (even the blank ones)?
2. Do we have to get all the pages (of the copies) of the passport notarized? I mean should the notary sign on every page? If the answer is YES then I have to get about 25 (assuming we can get 2 pages of PP on a sheet) sheets notarized.

Thanks for your responses.

mpotturi said:
Appreciate if the folks that have successfully gotten their OCIs processed to respond to these questions:

1. Do we have to submit the copy of each and every page of the passport (even the blank ones)?
2. Do we have to get all the pages (of the copies) of the passport notarized? I mean should the notary sign on every page? If the answer is YES then I have to get about 25 (assuming we can get 2 pages of PP on a sheet) sheets notarized.

Thanks for your responses.

You definitely do not have to get all pages copied.
Embassy requirements vary from 1 page to 5 pages of the passport.Please consult your embassy or look at the previous posts.I think this issue was discussed in depth earlier.
But in each case only the main information and photo pages are to be notarised,so you can go ahead with that regardless.

Last edited by a moderator:
mangal969 said:
You definitely do not have to get all pages copied.
Embassy requirements vary from 1 page to 5 pages of the passport.Please consult your embassy or look at the previous posts.I think this issue was discussed in depth earlier.
But in each case only the main information and photo pages are to be notarised,so you can go ahead with that regardless.
Thanks a lot Mangal. That is what I thought is a reasonable thing to do. Just wanted to check with the folks that have gone thru the process to see if we uncover anything unusual when dealing with our consulates. BTW, I come under the jurisdiction of NY.

mpotturi said:
Thanks a lot Mangal. That is what I thought is a reasonable thing to do. Just wanted to check with the folks that have gone thru the process to see if we uncover anything unusual when dealing with our consulates. BTW, I come under the jurisdiction of NY.

I sent notarized copies of the first 2 pages of the USP, and the first four pages of the Indian Passport. I also sent regular copies of the last few pages of the Indian passport (in case they needed that).

mpotturi said:

I too am under NY.You need to send the main information page and the photo page (if seperate) of the american passport (notarised) and the first two and last 3 pages of the Indian passport of which the first two are to be notarised.

One thing for NY-Spend an extra day if you need to and make sure everything is in order.Besides the documents the draft make sure you put the photos in a small envelope.Make sure the two copies are properly seperated.They have a tendency to delay if things are not in order.

mangal969 said:
I too am under NY.You need to send the main information page and the photo page (if seperate) of the american passport (notarised) and the first two and last 3 pages of the Indian passport of which the first two are to be notarised.

One thing for NY-Spend an extra day if you need to and make sure everything is in order.Besides the documents the draft make sure you put the photos in a small envelope.Make sure the two copies are properly seperated.They have a tendency to delay if things are not in order.
Thank you Mangal for this very useful and to the point information. You have packed a lot of useful info in your reply. This is probably the best concise information I have seen anybody giving out on this forum. I have assembled it exactly as you spelt it out. I hope the consulate will do its part equally meticulously (I know it is a very ambitious hope - may be day dreaming?). Thank you once again pal. Take care.

Houston CGI Granted Status

ATLVAS said:
Same here... My application also went to granted status on April 1st... :D

Now keeping my fingers crossed to see when I hear from them about the Visa Stickers...

Just checked the status today (OCI online enquiry) for our applications:

Our Applications also went to granted status on April 1st and April 2nd, 2006.

Hopefully we will all hear from Houton CGI soon about the Visa Stickers.

03N400APPLICANT

Evidence for my American born child

The document requirement lists that

"a photo copy of passport of parents/grand parents, if their origin is being claimed for grant of OCI should be submitted."

My question is, if the parents are submitting a copy of their passports with the application for their own OCI, should another set of copy of their passports be attached for their child? Why do they need so many copies of the same passports?

Other than the birth certificate do I have to include any document for my American born child?

My count is as follows, tell me if I am wrong.

For Dad's OCI application
Indian passport - 2 copies
American passport - 2 copies

For Mom's application

For Child's application
Dad's Indian passport - 2 copies
Mom's Indian passport - 2 copies

madabushi said:
The document requirement lists that

"a photo copy of passport of parents/grand parents, if their origin is being claimed for grant of OCI should be submitted."

My question is, if the parents are submitting a copy of their passports with the application for their own OCI, should another set of copy of their passports be attached for their child? Why do they need so many copies of the same passports?

Other than the birth certificate do I have to include any document for my American born child?

My count is as follows, tell me if I am wrong.

For Dad's OCI application

For Mom's application

For Child's application
Dad's Indian passport - 2 copies
Mom's Indian passport - 2 copies

Sending extra copies is safer :)

For childs application Send Dadsor Moms Indian passport copies not both.

For child's application send 2 copies of the birth certificate.

For Dad's and Mom's application in some consulates 2 copies of naturalisation certificate is also required.

What is OCI -Turn around time for SF Consulate now?

Friends,

What is current turn around time for OCI @ SF Consulate?

I am planning to go to India in the 3rd week of June and thinking about OCI.

Or do you think it is better to go for PIO and then OCI at a latter date?

Thanks for your help.

bill_22 said:
Friends,

What is current turn around time for OCI @ SF Consulate?

I am planning to go to India in the 3rd week of June and thinking about OCI.

Or do you think it is better to go for PIO and then OCI at a latter date?

Thanks for your help.

Or you can get a 6 months tourist visa and also apply for OCI. There is no point in getting the PIO, if you really want to get an OCI...it costs more to get a PIO and then convert to OCI. The only exception is children. Getting children PIO card is cheaper and then they can convert to OCI later on.

OCI Form XIX Part B Questions

Hi Folks,

I want to apply for OCI for my new born and I am confused with filling out the forms. Does any one know:

(1) Should I include details of my parents (so new born's grandparents) into the place "Details of family members staying in India"?

(2) Should I put thumb impresson of my new born at the end for Singature (First Applicant)?

(3) Should I sign under the Singature of First applicatn below "Application for Minor(s)"?

Please help me out with this as I am newbiew and confused.

Thanks in advance..

TooMuchWorried said:
Hi Folks,

I want to apply for OCI for my new born and I am confused with filling out the forms. Does any one know:

(1) Should I include details of my parents (so new born's grandparents) into the place "Details of family members staying in India"?

(2) Should I put thumb impresson of my new born at the end for Singature (First Applicant)?

(3) Should I sign under the Singature of First applicatn below "Application for Minor(s)"?

Please help me out with this as I am newbiew and confused.

Thanks in advance..

A1.Yes
A2.Ask the consulate where you will be applying.I think it's thumb impression on the part A signature box and your signature on the Part B form but i am not sure.

A3.Yes

astrix said:
Guys,

For naturalized citizens, instead of sending copies of cancelled Indian passport could we send copies of Indian birth certificates? The advantage I see is that there would be only one page to copy and notarize.

Can the same be done for foreign born kids as well if it is based on parents' prior Indian citizenship?

Anybody tried this or foresee any problem with this?

Thanks,
astrix.

An Indian birth certificate, simply states that you were born in India, but does not prove your citizenship.

If you have nothing else, it might be accepted, but a passport is more conclusive proof.