India Dual Citizenship Mega Thread (Merged)

The India Dual Citizenship will be Operational:

• In 2003

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • In 2004

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Sometime after 2004

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • I am skeptical if this will happen

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Thanks a ton PIO1. That means minors below the age of 16 are not required to be registered. What a relief !!!!

On HCI London I found following which says the same thing -

http://www.hcilondon.net/visa/visa-formalities.html

• Registration is required to be done only once during the validity of a visa irrespective of the number of times the foreigner leaves/re-enters India on a multi entry facility.
  • Following categories of foreigners are exempted from registration:
1. US Nationals holding ten-year Tourist/Business visas provided their continuous stay during each visit does not exceed 6 months.

2. Foreigners of Indian origin holding 5 year multiple entry X visa with an endorsement that "stay should not exceed 6 months during each visit."

3. Foreigners holding five-year Tourist visas, who are actively engaged in tourist/travel trade, desirous of visiting India frequently over extended periods for promotion of tourism etc., provided that their visa contains an endorsement that "continuous stay should not exceed 6 months".

4. Foreigners below the age of 16 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
PIO1 said:
Is there any privacy act in India - how can they publish names of people on a web site. How about a phone call or an email?

update: yes there is!

Talk about "working out modalities" these guys are just not ready for OCI. They have not yet got the OCI certs or U visas. To top it off if the CG of Chicago publishes names on a website, he's up for a prison term.

I was quite surprised as well! Publishing names on the website?? It is just not done by anyone else in such circumstances!!

Everyone seems to be doing their own thing.....

1.SF consulate wants documents notarized by Notary Public while for the others (including the MHA),self notarized is OK

2.The 3 additional photographs for the SF consulate are to be stamp sized while the NY & Chicago consulates requires 3.5x3.5 cms.The MHA on the other hand makes no mention of it in the application form.London requires a total of 8 photographs (????).Sydney requires no extra photographs.

3.Chicago is going to publish the names of people approved for OCI.Doesnt the MHA already have a token system in place for checking status ?

4.For Washington embassy,the OCI scheme is not yet operational !

5.Processing time is upto 12 weeks for SF,4-16 weeks for NY,Unspecified for Chicago (Wonder where the 15 day time limit specified in the law went ?)

6.On one hand HCI London says they will take 12 weeks and on the other they want the original passport to be submitted with the application !
How can a person be without his passport for 12 weeks ? Besides being used for travel it is an important identification document !

What i did like is the NY embassy website clearly stating that OCI is NOT a dual citizenship.

"Please note that OCI is not, repeat not Dual Citizenship. The Constitution of India does not permit the facility of holding Indian Citizenship simultaneously with a foreign citizenship. The OCI holder would therefore not be eligible for the following rights in India: (i) Right to vote; (ii) Right to hold constitutional office (i.e. parliament, courts, cabinet posts, etc.); and (iii) Right to hold posts in government services sector."

basis:
"The registration is essential for all foreigners having visas for a period exceeding 6 months except the exempted categories and should be done within 14 days of first arrival at the nearest office of the Foreigners Registration Office."

Better to go for a week long vacation to Mauratius/Singapore come back and if the person is still expected to still stay more than 180 days after arrival,go register with the FRRO.If you go just whne the 6 months are being completed there may be trouble.

mangal969 said:
1.SF consulate wants documents notarized by Notary Public while for the others (including the MHA),self notarized is OK
2.The 3 additional photographs for the SF consulate are to be stamp sized while the NY & Chicago consulates requires 3.5x3.5 cms.The MHA on the other hand makes no mention of it in the application form.
3.Chicago is going to publish the names of people approved for OCI.Doesnt the MHA already have a token system in place for checking status ?
4.For Washington embassy,the OCI scheme is not yet operational !
5.Processing time is upto 12 weeks for SF,4-16 weeks for NY,Unspecified for Chicago (Wonder where the 15 day time limit specified in the law went ?)

What i did like is the NY embassy website clearly stating that OCI is NOT a dual citizenship.
"Please note that OCI is not, repeat not Dual Citizenship. The Constitution of India does not permit the facility of holding Indian Citizenship simultaneously with a foreign citizenship. The OCI holder would therefore not be eligible for the following rights in India: (i) Right to vote; (ii) Right to hold constitutional office (i.e. parliament, courts, cabinet posts, etc.); and (iii) Right to hold posts in government services sector."

OCI v1 required no documentation, and the processing time was (officially) 3 months - 12 weeks.

OCI v1 was suspended so that the govt could simplify and shorten the processing. Make it easier for applicants they said.

OCI v2 at SF now requires notarised documentation and the indicative processing time has not been shortened.

Is anyone answerable to the nonsense they have been feeding us all these years? Do they think we are fools?

"It is like reconnecting myself to Indian roots. I have been living in the US for 15 years. I got the US citizenship two years ago. I am really excited to have the dual citizenship," said Rai.

CGNY might say OCI is not dual citizenship, but seems like one of the qualifications for getting OCI at PBD is that you call this D.C.

What are the benefits an OCI cardholder gets?

Rai: The OCI card bestows a strong sense of connectivity with the motherland. I feel very strongly for India, but used to feel uprooted. The OCI document has reconnected me to the Indian roots. Besides, there are a lot of logistical advantages, which we will get. Earlier, there used to be a lot of foreign restrictions on initiating new projects. But the card would enable Intel India to work on any project in the near future.

No wonder she was chosen ... the OCI card was issued to Intel India! Amazing.

mangal969 said:
basis:
"The registration is essential for all foreigners having visas for a period exceeding 6 months except the exempted categories and should be done within 14 days of first arrival at the nearest office of the Foreigners Registration Office."

Better to go for a week long vacation to Mauratius/Singapore come back and if the person is still expected to still stay more than 180 days after arrival,go register with the FRRO.If you go just whne the 6 months are being completed there may be trouble.

The 14 day rule no longer applies unless you have a Student, Employment, Research or Missionary visa.

(ii) Foreigners visiting India on any other category [other than Student, Employment, Research or Missionary visa] of long-term visa which is valid for more than 180 days, are required to register only if they intend to stay in India for more than 180 days continuously during a particular visit. This registration can be done anytime within 180 days of arrival in India.
http://www.immigrationindia.nic.in/FAQ_Registration.htm

Like anything else in bureaucracy if you ask 2 departments, you will get 3 answers. So I would print out the FAQ above and carry it with you, so if you are ever challenged, you can point to the MHA Bureau of Immigration document. I saw on another site, someone being told to register a baby at the FRRO which they did without being stopped, that too after paying a significant bribe!

PIO1 said:
CGNY might say OCI is not dual citizenship, but seems like one of the qualifications for getting OCI at PBD is that you call this D.C.

No wonder she was chosen ... the OCI card was issued to Intel India! Amazing.
What were you expecting ? Random lots or a lucky draw ?
If i recall Intel India was thinking of setting up a plant in India soon.Maybe this was just a slight "nudge" for them. :D :D

Good Point Mangal. I am in the SF Bay Area and was going to submit my application this week. Provided, the documentation on cgisf.org lets me -

1. The documentation does not clearly say what is too be notarized besides a copy of the "US passport". My documentation for my indian roots is going to be my indian passport. Q1 : Does a copy of the indian passport need to be notarized too? Q2: Do both copies of the application needed notarized copies of all the documents submitted?

2. The SF consulate mentions 3.5x3.5 (cm) photographs to be attached to the (in duplicate) applications. Fine. But it laters mentions 3 stamp sized photographs. The context makes it seem they only apply to spouse+children. Q3: Does a single applicant need to submit the stamp sized photographs as well?

mangal969 said:

2.The 3 additional photographs for the SF consulate are to be stamp sized while the NY & Chicago consulates requires 3.5x3.5 cms.The MHA on the other hand makes no mention of it in the application form.London requires a total of 8 photographs (????).Sydney requires no extra photographs.

krazie said:
Good Point Mangal. I am in the SF Bay Area and was going to submit my application this week. Provided, the documentation on cgisf.org lets me -

1. The documentation does not clearly say what is too be notarized besides a copy of the "US passport". My documentation for my indian roots is going to be my indian passport. Q1 : Does a copy of the indian passport need to be notarized too? Q2: Do both copies of the application needed notarized copies of all the documents submitted?

2. The SF consulate mentions 3.5x3.5 (cm) photographs to be attached to the (in duplicate) applications. Fine. But it laters mentions 3 stamp sized photographs. The context makes it seem they only apply to spouse+children. Q3: Does a single applicant need to submit the stamp sized photographs as well?
1. You should put in a certified copy of your pp.
2. I think 3.5cm seems to be safest.

krazie said:

For each applicant you have to submit 3 photographs (stamp size) +stick 1 (3.5x3.5) on each copy of the form.Each person will have to submit the extra photos because logically if you just submit the photos on the form how would they stick one on the OCI card ?As for the size,go with what they ask.It is very illogical but they shouldnt hold you up just because you submitted the wrong size photographs.But keep 3 other 3.5x3.5's ready just in case they wake up.

For the copies, I think all documents of both sets will have to be notarised.But you should call/ask the OCI cell.The form clearly states that all enclosures have to be self attested.Bring this point to their notice as well.

differnet size passport pictures

Where can you get all these different size passport pictures?

US Passport is 51mmx51mm.
Where do you get 3.5cmx3.5cm pictures and now stamp size(do not know what size that means..)?

thanks

delmarca said:

Where do you get 3.5cmx3.5cm pictures and now stamp size(do not know what size that means..)?

thanks

Go to a photo studio owned by an Indian.They are the ones that have the sizes we require.ALternately some guy with expertise in computers will scan your picture and print it out in the required sizes on photo paper (though i am looking for such a guy myself )
Stamp size is literally the size of a 37 cent stamp :rolleyes:

OCI Application Steps for San Francisco

Here are the steps:

Step 1:
(a) Click “Online Registration” and complete the form (Part-A) online.

(b) When you have completed filling in Part A, click Save. A Print Window would appear. Click OK to print out your application form consisting of Part-A (which you completed as Online Registration). The blank form of Part-B will automatically print itself.

(c) You must then complete Part-B, preferably TYPED. It may also be handwritten but in CAPITAL LETTERS with Blue or Black Ink.

(d) The completed application form (Part-A & Part-B) must be submitted in DUPLICATE to the Consulate. You must also submit TWO (2) PHOTOGRAPHS IN COLOR, but with WHITE BACKGROUND. Each photograph should be of SIZE 3.5cm X 3.5cm. One ORIGINAL photograph should be affixed to each copy of your application.

(e) At the end of Part-B is a list of DOCUMENTS THAT MAY BE REQUIRED AT THE TIME YOU SUBMIT YOUR OCI APPLICATION FORM. PLEASE ENSURE THAT COPY OF YOUR PASSPORT IS NOTARIZED BY LOCAL NOTARY PUBLIC.

(f) (i) Application Fee is USD 275 if submitting in person, (ii) Application Fee is USD 290 (USD 275 + a separate fee of USD 15/- for return mailing charges) if application is submitted by mail. For PIO Card Holders, the fee for OCI is USD 25 if submitting in person and USD 40 (USD 25 + a separate fee of USD 15/- for return mailing charges): Fee will ONLY be accepted through MONEY ORDERS & CERTIFIED/CASHIERS CHEQUES. CASH and Personal Cheques WILL NOT be accepted either by mail or in person.

Step 2 by mail:

You can mail your application and the required enclosures to OCI Cell, Consulate General of India, 540 Arguello Blvd., San Francisco, CA 94118. Please ensure to submit notarized copies of your passport, PIO Card and other supporting documents You have to submit a separate money/postal order or Certified Cheque of US $15/- for return mail charges (Personal Cheques will not be accepted).
--------------------------------------------------

I think it is very clear about photograph requirements. It requires total of four 3.5cmx3.5cm color photos (incluing one each will be pasted on each copy of the form) for each applicant.

what are not very clear to me:
1. do we need to notarize all copies of the passports or other documents (will cost lot of money if you think about it)
2. extra $15 thing. is it for each applicant or total $15 for the family?

any clues?

Thank you.

Romit,

As others have posted earlier, SF requires 5 photographs (lets assume for simplicity that there is only one applicant). Two 3.5cm x 3.5cm and three stamp-sized. Where do you see the requirement for four 3.5cm x 3.5 cm photographs?

I am going to call the SF consulate to inquire about the photo requirements. I am not totaly optimisitc about receiving a clear answer - the last time I called them several months ago to inquire about the requirements for a PIO card, the person answering the phone at the consulate was very unhelpful.

romit said:
I think it is very clear about photograph requirements. It requires total of four 3.5cmx3.5cm color photos (incluing one each will be pasted on each copy of the form) for each applicant.

krazie said:
Romit,

As others have posted earlier, SF requires 5 photographs (lets assume for simplicity that there is only one applicant). Two 3.5cm x 3.5cm and three stamp-sized. Where do you see the requirement for four 3.5cm x 3.5 cm photographs?

I am going to call the SF consulate to inquire about the photo requirements. I am not totaly optimisitc about receiving a clear answer - the last time I called them several months ago to inquire about the requirements for a PIO card, the person answering the phone at the consulate was very unhelpful.

Please post after you call them and what they say. I would like to know too. But if you see my posting, those were copied directly from SF website and if you read d) in step 1, that makes it 4 but it would be good to call them and confirm.

any ideas on the notary requirements and the $15 extra fee thing?

Thanks.

delmarca said:

thanks

If you have a digital camera, you can try to use epassprtphoto.com to make your own cheap photos. They also have a 3.5cm x 4.5 cm option. Use that and trim the extra 1 cm off and you are good to go.

2 Photos per person.

Every consulate except SF says:

2 copies of 3.5s for each individual, whether they are a part of a family, couple or single applicants.

The way I read SF's requirement is they said besides the primary applicant's photo, they require 3 more (spouse, 2 kids) for each application - and there are two application forms. I.e. 2 lots of 4 photos. Each photo is attached to the form. I normally clip it and write my name on the back and sign, let the consulated afix it if they require. In terms of the stamp size, they really don't care about the size so much, and were just being loose with the requirements. 3.5 cm is safest though.

Go ahead and check with CGSF but this is what common sense says.

E-Governance in action! Online registration down

After all the wait.

for the life of me cant understand why they had to centralize a website knowing well they are gonna screwww up....

no wonder the site is down today. we "latecomers" (and its only monday morning phx time) can't get to the forms.

Question1 : Is there anyone who went in over the weekend and downloaded the Part A and B? If so, is this the same form avaliable from the MHA site? (so we can fill that and send)

Question2: For stamp-sized photos, can we not just use the digital camera and crop to the size. and be done with it?

No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets.
- Edward Abbey