India Dual Citizenship Mega Thread (Merged)

The India Dual Citizenship will be Operational:

• In 2003

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • In 2004

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Sometime after 2004

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • I am skeptical if this will happen

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
mangal969 said:
NRI's,by definition are people with Indian passports.Until now PIO's were not recognised as "Indians" i.e once you give up your Indian passport you are not recognised as an Indian in any manner shape or form.
As far as i know the priority list is as follows:
1.Both Indians living in India
2.Atleast one parent Indian,living in India
3.Both parents NRI living abroad with intent to return to India
4.Both parents NRI with no intent of moving back to India
5.One parent NRI living abroad with intent to return to India
6.One parent NRI with no intent of moving back to India
7.Foreigners with intent to live in India
8.Foreigners with no intent to live in India

The list sounds pretty silly i know ("Intent to live in India"???).Of course all adoption cases are reviewed on a case by case basis.You may be on preference no 8 but in the absence of other applicants you may get your application approved.However the lower down the list you go the more difficult and time consuming it gets.

For OIC/PIO they are so far silent on the issue.But as a working hyopthesis if OIC/PIO's are granted parity with NRI's (as they have said), an OIC couple would fall under priorities 3-6.If they do not recognise this i guess the couple would be between 6 and 7 (preferred over absolute foreigners).

CARA's guidelines are listed at:
http://www.cara.nic.in/carahome.html
Indian Embassy also has a lot of info at:
http://www.indianembassy.org/consular/Adoption/index.html

There're only two sections on CARA's webpage that deals with the adoption information. These are under In-country adoptions and Inter-country adoptions.

For the preferences, they list only 4 categories:
The placement agencies are required to adhere the following order of priority while considering the adoption of Indian children:

1. Indian families in India.
2. Indian families abroad.
3. One parent of Indian origin abroad.
4. Totally foreign.

There is no mention anywhere about NRI/PIO/OIC or what passport people hold and where they intend to live. For example, if you go by the definition of NRIs as people with Indian passport and say US green cards, then an international adoption is nearly impossible. You can off course adopt in India as an Indian, but cannot process the immigration paperwork for the child to come to the US. If at least 1 parent is a US citizen, then the child gets the immigration paperwork done immidiately, otherwise the parents have to show 2 yrs of custody and residency together with the child to be able to apply for the US immigration, and then wait another 3+ years for the child's green card. In the meantime, the parents cannot maintain their green cards beyond 2 years even with the re-entry permit. So there is a catch-22 here.

The current guidelines were updated in 2003, prior to that Indians living abraod, aks NRIs in general, with either Indian or foreign passport, were treated on par with the Indians for in-country adoptions. So far I have not seen anything on OICs status relating to this subject. May be our bureaucrates have saved it for OIC V.2.0.

Last edited by a moderator:
For example, if you go by the definition of NRIs as people with Indian passport and say US green cards, then an international adoption is nearly impossible. You can off course adopt in India as an Indian, but cannot process the immigration paperwork for the child to come to the US. If at least 1 parent is a US citizen, then the child gets the immigration paperwork done immidiately, otherwise the parents have to show 2 yrs of custody and residency together with the child to be able to apply for the US immigration, and then wait another 3+ years for the child's green card. In the meantime, the parents cannot maintain their green cards beyond 2 years even with the re-entry permit. So there is a catch-22 here.

Unfortunately this unhappy situation does exist for Green card holders.The only way around this is to complete the adoption formalities prior to obtaining a green card or wait until atleast one spouse is a US citizen.Or if you do adopt while you hold your green card arrange for the child to live with a relative until you become a citizen.It is a long and frustrating procedure to adopt a child while you are still a green card holder

Question of Dual Citizenshi

I will be having the oath ceremnony next month, planning a trip toi India in 1Q 2006. IS PIO the only and visa the only option , looks like the dual citizenship will be a while before it happens

please advice, I was thinking the dual is already in place

tarun

Overseas Citizenship of India (OIC)

tarunr said:
I will be having the oath ceremnony next month, planning a trip toi India in 1Q 2006. IS PIO the only and visa the only option , looks like the dual citizenship will be a while before it happens

please advice, I was thinking the dual is already in place

tarun

OIC is expected to be operational from November 2005. We are all eagerly waiting for the scheme to start. Please note OIC is not exactly same as Dual Citizenship. Please refer to the following link for more information on OIC.

http://mha.nic.in/oci-main.htm

boggavarapu said:
OIC is expected to be operational from November 2005. We are all eagerly waiting for the scheme to start. Please note OIC is not exactly same as Dual Citizenship. Please refer to the following link for more information on OIC.

http://mha.nic.in/oci-main.htm

The wheels of Indian bureaucracy turn extremely slowly. Don't hold your breath for November 2005 for OIC to start. We have waited for years to only to add to our disappointment. If someone need to travel in early 2006, then tourist visa is the best way to go, as OIC procedures will take some getting used to for the bureaucrats too.

Besides, there may be an initial rush of applications so it may take a bit longer than advertised for the Consulates to issue OIC's. Indian Consulates have hard time issuing visas quickly because their application volume has been increasing, and staffing and facilities are clearly lagging behind.

Folks please help me here

I am having my oath Ceremony tomorrow. I am changing my first name in the naturalization certificate and I will be applying US passport soon.

As per USCIS....they said all I have to do is change the name in DL, SSN etc...which is an easy process

For the PIO application what name should I use?

I called two Indian consulates today.....and nobody is giving me a perfect answer.

Please help me here folks....I do not want to run into problems....

I know this thread is for a different purpose...but I need to get some expert advice form you
Thanks
Danp

danp said:
I am having my oath Ceremony tomorrow. I am changing my first name in the naturalization certificate and I will be applying US passport soon.

As per USCIS....they said all I have to do is change the name in DL, SSN etc...which is an easy process

I called two Indian consulates today.....and nobody is giving me a perfect answer.

I know this thread is for a different purpose...but I need to get some expert advice form you
Thanks
Danp

Don't worry. The PIO will contain the same name as in your US passport. After your oath ceremony you should NOT use your old name anymore. What ever is on the US Citizenship certificate becomes your official name. So, when you apply for the PIO card you will use your name in the US passport.

danp said:

Thanks
Danp

You better verify the exact procedure.As far as i know you need a court decree to change your name on things like SSN,DL etc.
For the PIO application you obviously need the same name that is on your passport.

mangal969 said:
You better verify the exact procedure.As far as i know you need a court decree to change your name on things like SSN,DL etc.
For the PIO application you obviously need the same name that is on your passport.

Danp - If you requested your name change as part of the naturalization process, you will receive a court order approving/confirming your name change along with your naturalization certificate at the oath ceremony. You will need this certificate to change your name on the DL, SS and applying for your passport (along with your naturalization certificate). Make sure to also update your citizenship status with the SSA.

Thanks folks

Fitness99------------

OK...I have lot of properties in India under my old name.
Once I get the PIO with my new name....what are the complications?

because of the name change...

Please help me out here

Will the PIO have all details except my old name like place of Birth, father's name etc.

I am really scard now

danp said:
Thanks folks

Fitness99------------

OK...I have lot of properties in India under my old name.
Once I get the PIO with my new name....what are the complications?

because of the name change...

Please help me out here

Will the PIO have all details except my old name like place of Birth, father's name etc.

I am really scard now

:D Why are you scared! You are now the citizen of a world power!

Your properties are okay. I guess if you want the piece of mind, you should probably re-register in your new name - which may cost you some money (based on your old Indian passport and the US name change court decree). If I were you I would talk to someone that practices Indian law to see what you need to do if any with your current property documents.

Thanks fitness99

The reason is I have invested lot in India....

I will check with murthy.com to see if they can help.

Danp

I think the PIO card has a column for "other names".You should inquire..maybe you can have both names on the card.Or maybe since your old Indian passport will be on your old name and your new US passport will be on your new one they will issue a PIO card in the new name with a mention of your old name as well.
You may not get that much information over the phone.Once you get your US passport pay a visit to the Indian embassy.(You'll have to go for cancellation of your Indian passport anyways.)

For those waiting to hear launch date for OCI, here is the latest from www.deccan.com - Most probably Nov 14, 2005.

OCI scheme: PIO entry without visa

Hyderabad, Oct. 26: The Centre will launch the overseas citizenship of India (OCI) scheme which provides for visa-free entry into India for NRIs on November 14. It will allow persons of Indian origin (PIOs), barring those from Pakistan and Bangladesh, holding foreign passports to visit India at will. Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had announced the scheme during the Pravasi Bharatiya Divas in January following a request from a large number of the 25 million NRIs living abroad.

Union minister of State in the Prime Minister’s Office Prithviraj Chauhan said the government has to see how many Indians living abroad would apply OCI cards. “It will be launched in mid-November, most probably from November 14. The issue and acceptance of applications will begin from that day. It may take one or two months for processing of applications and issue of cards,” Mr Chauhan said. Asked why Indians in Pakistan and Bangladesh were left out, he said it was decided by the Centre.

Mr Chauhan visited the newly constructed International Convention Centre located in the premises of Hitex in Madhapur near here, the proposed venue for the fourth Pravasi Bharatiya Divas to be held for the first time in Hyderabad from January 7 to 9, 2006. Mr Chauhan met Chief Minister Y.S. Rajasekhar Reddy and discussed arrangements for the convention.

About 2,000 NRIs and about 1,000 from India would attend the annual convention, which is being organised by the ministry of overseas Indian affairs in partnership with the State of Andhra Pradesh and Ficci.

The website, www.pbd.gov.in provides details of the event and accepts online registration of delegates. It will also give details about flight connectivity to Hyderabad, description of the sites of tourist interest and tourism packages. Dr Manmohan Singh will inaugurate the conference on January 7, President A.P.J. Abdul Kalam will address the valedictory session and honour 15 eminent overseas Indians with Pravasi Bharatiya Samman.

An industrial exhibition, cultural shows, panel discussions and showcasing the cultural heritage of Andhra Pradesh and India are among the highlights. A special feature will be the 4th edition of the internship programme for diaspora youth, a 3-week programme taking the participants through through Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh. Online registration for participation in the Pravasi Bharatiya Divas convention will begin from November 1. Pravasi Bharatiya Divas is celebrated every year to mark the return of Mahatma Gandhi from South Africa on January 9, 1915.

Thanks a lot for the info but i wouldnt be holding my breath or downloading the form just yet :(
1.The source is unreliable.If the minister was from the MHA (the responsible ministry) i would believe it (remember the minister for OIA making such statements last year and nothing materialising ?)
2.There is no parallel update on any embassy/MHA website
3.He says MOST PROBABLY NOVEMBER 14th not "on November 14th" or "From November 14th"
4.He says initial issue of OIC will take a month or two.The procedure mandates 15 days in ordinary cases and 90 days in 'abnormal' (need referral to MHA) cases.

If what the minister is saying is to be believed, the forms are going to be accepted from November 14th.That means the full procedure will be announced by November 7th (or atleast 10th).
I guess we'll know soon enough

Though i would have enjoyed OIC as a Diwali/Ramzan gift (like our politicans normally announce sops on festival days) :)

Lets add one more to the list of unofficial announcements of the forever delayed and dual citizenship Lite, aka OCI scheme (scam) or PIO Card V.2.0. I will believe it when they actually start issuing something. Even the acceptance of forms does NOT mean anything to our ministers and bureaucrats as they did exactly that in the last round of OCI scheme for 16 countries and then decided not to act on them. I refuse to get exicted about OCI, at least not yet.

Why the heck are they calling it an OCI card now? I thought they said it is a sticker? I have only one thing to say......whazzzzup politician dawgs! ;)

fitness99 said:
Why the heck are they calling it an OCI card now? I thought they said it is a sticker? I have only one thing to say......whazzzzup politician dawgs! ;)

See how they are moving backwards....

Dual Citizenship -> OCI -> OCI Card

So basically they now seem to be acknowledging that it's a PIO Card v.2.0.

sg_orl said:
See how they are moving backwards....

Dual Citizenship -> OCI -> OCI Card

So basically they now seem to be acknowledging that it's a PIO Card v.2.0.

It looks like they have to drum up something for the PBD coming up in January 2006! They make this nonsense up every year for the January PBD's. I am not sure what the big deal is for them to implement it? If they are so incompetent they should acknowledge they cannot accomplish and move on..... What a joke!

Here is a quote from the OCI brochure..

After grant of registration, a registration certificate in the prescribed format
will be issued and a multiple entry, multi-purpose life long OCI ‘U” visa sticker
will be pasted on the foreign passport of the applicant.

Hmm.. looks like this is just a visa! And what if your foreign passport expires and you acquire a new one??