India A Miracle Country- One billion reasons to care

I wish your country really takes off as shown in this video. I really do.
In my experience though, I believe it when I see it. I have been disappointed more often than not with that type of expectation. I have been thru this in Argentina, then I see Canada all over the place in the news, South America and others:down the road we see America strong and steady, but other countries have too much corruption groups going on. Hard to change. Hey, I may be totally wrong though. Good luck.

gcrayudu said:
The ABC News on India and its progress. How wonderful our country will be without the Red Tape. We will out run each and every country's economy.

http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=1674437

Wow - I am from Bangaldesh.
Its great to see India's moving forward and hopefully we will be able to learn from it's progress.

marlon2006 said:
I wish your country really takes off as shown in this video. I really do.
In my experience though, I believe it when I see it. I have been disappointed more often than not with that type of expectation. I have been thru this in Argentina, then I see Canada all over the place in the news, South America and others:down the road we see America strong and steady, but other countries have too much corruption groups going on. Hard to change. Hey, I may be totally wrong though. Good luck.

marlon i wonder how much of your experience has to do with india
this is not about America, its about india, india's growth is not going to make america poorer. one thing i do not understand with america media is why any country growing is sign of threat to america??
i would say let america maintain their status as a super power. honestly i don't think india cares to be a superpower and neither has any ambitions to rule the world. as for now its has got tons of things that it needs to do get better. i see why abc has to do this video with respect to america and tried to show how indian growth could impact america...any country that grows always has an impact on the world. there may be job losses in one sector and job gains in another sector...

i must confess my ignorance for Argentina beyond maradona and argentinian soccer and the pampas (in geography) i am ignorant when it comes to Argentina. wasn't there a dictatorship in argentina for a long time and now its a democracy? i know chile used to have pinoche (sp). but as you see in the video there is chaos but its been there forever. what was lacking was the attitude of reform and that is happening. its not something that can be discussed fully even in a book, how it will happen. but i can tell you this much i have reading and seeing this transformation for a while (from the early 90s). i definitely see a momentum, its like a big diesel loco starting to build up speed, it take a long time to build momentum, but once it builds its awfully tough to slow it down.

make no mistake there are lot things that can stop or alter this course, but here is where the democracy comes in, people in india rich and poor have seen what can happen with economic reforms and that is going to help to make things running as far as reforms are concerned.

while i do understand the newfound pride of indians, i believe that there is need to tone down a little bit, because honestly "Modern india" has achieved very little in recent memory.

the key is the IT sector that has provided the necessary spark to this fuel. the problem has always been that government used to run everything without much private participation. now government is letting money flow in by allowing private participation, allowing itself to focus on providing better life for people. infrastructure will improve albeit slowly.
i always there is no lack of entrepreneurship in india, you only have to see indians go outside their borders and start up business and flourish in distant lands. the problem in india was the lack of money and opportunity because of red tape.
when that is lifted or reduced, the result will be an explosion of talent.

acutally its a shame on indian politicians that they let india educate its youth and could not give opportunities for their young to serve in their own country. my post in another thread was precisely about this, as opportunities become abound its makes a lot of people to stay back and work home.

change will come but it will be slow...

what i do not like is that indian growth is somehow projected as a challenge to america, just because my neighbour is getting rich does not mean that i have to become poor. i think america should see this as an opportunity to serve a market of billion people. isn't that the kind of thinking that precisely brought america to the top. seeing opporunities in challenges....plus what are america's options anyway...tell india not to grow or improve because oil is getting costlier?

Last edited by a moderator:
very realistic

michael_holding said:
this is not about America, its about india, india's growth is not going to make america poorer. one thing i do not understand with america media is why any country growing is sign of threat to america??
i would say let america maintain their status as a super power. honestly i don't think india cares to be a superpower and neither has any ambitions to rule the world. as for now its has got tons of things that it needs to do get better. i see why abc has to do this video with respect to america and tried to show how indian growth could impact america...any country that grows always has an impact on the world. there may be job losses in one sector and job gains in another sector...

i must confess my ignorance for Argentina beyond maradona and argentinian soccer and the pampas (in geography) i am ignorant when it comes to Argentina. wasn't there a dictatorship in argentina for a long time and now its a democracy? i know chile used to have pinoche (sp). but as you see in the video there is chaos but its been there forever. what was lacking was the attitude of reform and that is happening. its not something that can be discussed fully even in a book, how it will happen. but i can tell you this much i have reading and seeing this transformation for a while (from the early 90s). i definitely see a momentum, its like a big diesel loco starting to build up speed, it take a long time to build momentum, but once it builds its awfully tough to slow it down.

make no mistake there are lot things that can stop or alter this course, but here is where the democracy comes in, people in india rich and poor have seen what can happen with economic reforms and that is going to help to make things running as far as reforms are concerned.

while i do understand the newfound pride of indians, i believe that there is need to tone down a little bit, because honestly "Modern india" has achieved very little in recent memory.

the key is the IT sector that has provided the necessary spark to this fuel. the problem has always been that government used to run everything without much private participation. now government is letting money flow in by allowing private participation, allowing itself to focus on providing better life for people. infrastructure will improve albeit slowly.
i always there is no lack of entrepreneurship in india, you only have to see indians go outside their borders and start up business and flourish in distant lands. the problem in india was the lack of money and opportunity because of red tape.

acutally its a shame on indian politicians that they let india educate its youth and could not give opportunities for their young to serve in their own country. my post in another thread was precisely about this, as opportunities become abound its makes a lot of people to stay back and work home.

what i do not like is that indian growth is somehow projected as a challenge to america, just because my neighbour is getting rich does not mean that i have to become poor. i think america should see this as an opportunity to serve a market of billion people. isn't that the kind of thinking that precisely brought america to the top. seeing opporunities in challenges....plus what are america's options anyway...tell india not to grow or improve because oil is getting costlier?

Great one Michael Holding.

I am not saying anything about threat to Ameica. I just mentioned that I personally saw many reports about expected prosperity from other countries that apparently had tremendous potential and due to corruption and political interests never came to surface. That's all. Again, I hope this time things will be different and India success will take off.

By the way, poster CatDog was not wrong after all.

michael_holding said:

marlon2006 said:
I am not saying anything about threat to Ameica. I just mentioned that I personally saw many reports about expected prosperity from other countries that apparently had tremendous potential and due to corruption and political interests never came to surface. That's all. Again, I hope this time things will be different and India success will take off.

By the way, poster CatDog was not wrong after all.

i agree with you on that. for the 600million poor people sake...i hope india gets it right...

I have too heard about Brazil booming some time back....when things went bust because of corruption and collapse of banks or something...

as far as i know...in india...the growth in only because of IT sector and Foreign investment......please point out any other sector or driving force..

and from what i had seen india still has to go a long way before humans will live a dignified life...

1. politics is still ruled by crooks....(90% crooks...)....this will have to change....
2. bureacrats are still corrupt.....without bribe things dont move fast.
3. nobody is planning for growth, hence there will be a reduction in momentum once we reach a bottle neck because of infrastructure.......

i still know girls with master degree....who cannot get a decent job.......(guys usually struggle and struggle till they find something.....a girl cannot do that due to security issues....for one she cannot be a travelling sales person unless she is starving..)

its still very very long way to go..........in the meanwhile.....real estate agents and IT guys can have fun....

india is doing better does not mean that they can compare to a developed country like canada/uk/auss/usa etc....it will take atleast 30 years of growth for them to reach there..........hence CatDog was wrong.....and even in IT sector.... Income/costOfLiving is almost four times in USA as compared to india.......in usa even an avg programmer can do great....but in india...competition is so much that above avg people only make more money......
(usd 70k sal,lets say 18k tax, 30k exp, approx usd20k saving,
in india avg sal is $12k, lets say 2k tax, 5k exp, 5K saving)

India a Miracle Country - One billion reasons to care

Techy:

I agree with you on all these factors.But once we dig more into it.

1. politics is still ruled by crooks....(90% crooks...)....this will have to change....

True. it is ruled by Crooks. But how are these crooks made and went to the level of Union Ministers(Ex. Lallo Prasad Yadav, Bitch- Jayalalitha who stole billions of rupees from the common man and again she is Tamilnadu Chief Minister, How can people fall for false promises of Free Power and Electricity- Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister and election slogans,If you look at Union Ministers half of them are uneducated morons on the planet) Why are we electing them even though we know they are crooks.. That is exactly I mentioned How our country will be without Red Tape and Corruption. Recently Narayana Murthy blasted out on the Corrupt Politicians and their fraudlent policies.

2. bureacrats are still corrupt.....without bribe things dont move fast.

Yes Bureacrats are corrupt? Wonder why the reason is?? Take for example Bangalore. A average IT Professional earns about 25K Rupees per month. So he can afford a house rent for Rs 6000 and do you know in some coffee houses the cost of Coffee is Rs 25 to Rs 100. How much an average Goverment Employee gets? Maximum of Rs 12000(Ordinary Govt Employees like working Municpal Offices etc). Just imagine with this hyped per captial income of each person they expect the Govt Employee to pay the same house rent and all the same expenses. This inbalance situation is giving rise to Corruption and Bribery.

I partially agree with you that girls are not getting jobs. They are not getting but the ones that lack confidence are falling behind. In these days our country's women are holding good jobs in every sector of Industry. And also India is also doing well in Pharmacy, Automobile Industry and even Hollywood where the costumes are being made in India for many of the movies only thing is they never come into limelight.

Unless we compare ourselves with the Developed Countries we will not be progressing. And well put there is long way to go and India has always been and will be Peace Loving Country history reveals that. We are looted by Fucking British our thousands and thousands years of hertiage and once they realized there is nothing else to steal, rob they left. We should be proud of the kind of progress we made with so many issues at hand, poverty, heavily populated country, co-existence of many religions, these are good enough reasons for us to concentrate and stabilise so that civil war does not breakout even before thinking of improvising the economy. Our economy reforms really started after 1980's.

Not to be dissing. But the key to that video is that, what indians are seeing are american dollars. What happens, if things change politically and americans decide to keep most of the jobs here? My idea is, if India needs to be successful in the long run, they need to invest this money in their infrastructure. In India, rich are good, but the poor are getting worser because of the high prices for the basic needs. The people who are enjoying this boom are direcltly related to Amerian Dollars. The guys having fun in India are mostly from the cities where there is direct american investment. The other group is the family of somebody in US/UK etc. Just my take.

Well said spulla. The economic growth has been and will be enjoyed by only 10 % of indians. Does anyone care about the rest of the 90% Indians?

India's development - A relentless overly patriotic fundamentally wrong media hype

I am also an Indian and want India to be a world power, but I don't see that happening even in 30-40 years from now. India's rapid development is only meant for a few people sitting on the top, real state agents benefitting from current boom, and few IT guys who make good salaries from Indian standard. A country whose development is tied so much with only a few European countires and USA and that too only in one sector (IT), has a very unstable dev. base and I w'd be very scared of my long-term future there even If I w'd have been working in IT there. With the salary in IT rising, its a matter of just few years that these jobs will move to another countires. What else we have to sustain our growth then? Even now what %age of indian pop. work in IT? I think these are still manufacturing and ag. sectors in India who actually provide highest emp. there and export money.

Even this so called "India's miraculous development" does not mean anything to poor village dwellers, who constitute 80% of Indian population and who live a life worse that a dog in USA. India's fast GDP growth does not mean anything for me if I don't get power, water, etc., those basic stuff and I can't find a job. It also does not mean anything to me if I don't get justice in a few months or I get punished for a small or no fault of my own while not a single MP/MLA has been convicted and put in prison in 60 years after India's independence. We all know how BJP lost badly in last election when it claimed "India shining". Yes, it was shining, but only for a few baniyas. For the same reason, Chandra Naidu had to bite the dust. I hate to say this but India's development is nothing but a relentless overly patriotic fundamentally wrong media propaganda often spread by journalists with an agenda or no in-depth knowledge of what constitutes a "real" development.

On the contrary, I see China rising very fast and actually becoming world power in next 10-15 years. Also, it has an extremely well-balanced approach towards dev. It is developing on all fronts. Its capabilities are growing as far as its manufacturing, tech, infrastructure, military, and education sectors are concerned. All this gives China the confidence to counter USA on all fronts including political. Its just a matter of few more years, it will grab Taiwan and add one more jewel in its crown after Hong Kong and become even more powerful.

I will be watching China very carefully often with lots of worries as this is a country not very easy to trust. Its dev. will ironically also be the reason for its ultimate demise as I know this will be the country to start a major war, though some other country will have to finish that job.

Back to India on a lighter note - Khane ko roti nahin, rahne ko nahin makan, phir bhi mera Bharat mahan (Nothing to eat, nowhere to live, still my India is great).

With best wishes for India's development.

$193,000. And IIM-B Guy.

British investment bank Barclays Capital on Saturday offered yearly pay packet of $193000 to Gaurav Agarwal, a graduate from Indian Institute of Management-Bangalore (IIM-B) at a campus placement here.

Wow thats a good one for "out of the box" guy...

"high skills at low costs"

Europe is falling behind Asia in terms of education and skills, according to a report by the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD).

It blames France and Germany which are criticised for mediocre education systems and their inherent class bias.

China and India, on the other hand, are starting to deliver "high skills at low costs and at an ever increasing pace".