Incorrect Visa Number in I-485

jenimmi

Registered Users (C)
Since I didn't get an answer in the other thread, I'm posting it here :

In the section where it asks for Non-Immigrant visa number in I-485, I put the Control # found in the Visa page, when I applied for my Parent. Now I see some posts indicating, the visa # is the one in Red on the visa page. I only had a Black and white photocopy of the Visa page at that time and didn't even know there was a number in Red (my Parent had gone to visit some one else within U.S. then and had taken the PP with them).

I had attached the photocopy of the Visa page with I-485, when applying. I'm just hoping that some one in the processing center will look at the photocopy for the correct Visa # instead of sending us a denial. But if they don't --

Will my Parent's application be denied for this error? Would we be asked to reapply I-485 ? Can some one please tell us what this mistake would cause us?
1) Denial of I-485 ?
2) Further delays ?
3)) RFE ?

I also put control number for my parent. I have NOT seen an RFE for that so far. FYI - I got a RFE for non availability of birth certificate from the municiplaity.
My parents time line are in the signature
_Simi DUde
jenimmi said:
Since I didn't get an answer in the other thread, I'm posting it here :

In the section where it asks for Non-Immigrant visa number in I-485, I put the Control # found in the Visa page, when I applied for my Parent. Now I see some posts indicating, the visa # is the one in Red on the visa page. I only had a Black and white photocopy of the Visa page at that time and didn't even know there was a number in Red (my Parent had gone to visit some one else within U.S. then and had taken the PP with them).

I had attached the photocopy of the Visa page with I-485, when applying. I'm just hoping that some one in the processing center will look at the photocopy for the correct Visa # instead of sending us a denial. But if they don't --

Will my Parent's application be denied for this error? Would we be asked to reapply I-485 ? Can some one please tell us what this mistake would cause us?
1) Denial of I-485 ?
2) Further delays ?
3)) RFE ?

If I remember it correct, I think they ask for the visa details if the visa is less than 1yr old.

Even I did the same thing unknowingly. Though my parents had 10yrs visa for about 6yrs, I still entered the details just to be on safe side. Well, provided the wrong info :rolleyes:.

As others are saying, I don't think they'll take any serious offense to it. Lets hope not.

My parents got their FP Notices. :)

Guess what guys? I was told by the CSR at Dallas DO to put the Control Number as Visa Number :) I found out later that she was grossly wrong.

Oh well...the officer did not point out anything during the interview so I guess we all are fine.

Thanks and one more Q.

Thanks a lot guys. I just hope like most of you, my Parent will not have a problem with the 485. At times like this when I'm in a panicky state, I cannot believe how valuable this forum is! Kudos to Rajiv Khanna for hosting this site!

NeedurHelp - I don't remember seeing anything which asks to enter Visa #, only if Visa was issued within the past year. I think in I-485, you have to put a valid visa #, regardless of when it was issued, as long as it's still within the expiration date. Can some one comment?

A question:
I just received the NOA for I-130, 485 and 131 (pls see signature). While the "Received Date" and "Notice Date" have been filled, I see that the "Priority Date" field is left blank in all of these Notices. Is this common?
In that case, how is it that SimiDude has a PD and NeedurHelp does not?

Logically speaking....
If i was the officer working on your case, i would try to get your visa information based on the number you provided on the form. If you had provided the control number instead, i might not be able to pull up your information (If control number and visa number are connected to each other, i might be able to get some information from that). So, to get correct info, i would look at a copy of the non-immigration visa you submitted with the application and get the correct visa number from it.

Figuring this out does not require extra intellgence, it only needs common sense and im sure the officers look at hundreds of applications each day and are familiar with the drill ..... My 2 cents...

jenimmi said:
A question:
I just received the NOA for I-130, 485 and 131 (pls see signature). While the "Received Date" and "Notice Date" have been filled, I see that the "Priority Date" field is left blank in all of these Notices. Is this common?
In that case, how is it that SimiDude has a PD and NeedurHelp does not?

PD is always current for immediate relatives of a USC. Thats the reason it is left blank. Now smile.... and stop panicking :)

ari4u said:
im sure the officers look at hundreds of applications each day and are familiar with the drill ..... My 2 cents...

This does make sense. Thanks as always, Ari.
Well.. I was actually :D when I read your other post...

And wishing you lots of luck for your interview tomm. Please let us know the details after and STICK AROUND to help the rest of us :)

needurhelp said:
My parents got their FP Notices. :)
FP Notice Received - Code 3: 02/06/2006
FPD: 02/25/2006
Walk-In FP: 02/10/2006

Hi needurhelp,

It looks like your parents got the FP done ahead of the scheduled date. How does the Walk-in FP work? Do you have to call the DO ahead of time? Any info. you can provide is greatly appreciated!

Walk-In FP

We just did plain-ole walk-in on last Friday Morning. Guess what, today my mom got another letter for redoing her FP again for Code 1 as her previous ones were unacceptable. They rescheduled it for March 15. I'm hoping to do the walk-in this Friday and see how it goes.

needurhelp said:
We just did plain-ole walk-in on last Friday Morning. Guess what, today my mom got another letter for redoing her FP again for Code 1 as her previous ones were unacceptable. They rescheduled it for March 15. I'm hoping to do the walk-in this Friday and see how it goes.

Sorry to hear that your Mom has to redo the FP. Hope it goes well this Friday. Thanks again for the info.

I am not sure if this post is still active, but I am getting ready to file for my parents and I have couple of questions if you all can help.

Background : My parents are with us on visitor visa til Feb. I would like to file their GC through AOS.

Qestions :

1) Do they have to leave us even if their 485 is not approved ?
2) Is the process mentioned above like 130, 485 is still valid ?
3) Can we file all 130, 485 everything at the sametime ?