Incorrect Name Variation on Oath Letter

dahvaio

Registered Users (C)
I received my oath letter last week but it has the wrong name on it. During my interview, I made 100% sure that the correct name was chosen. What is odd is that the variation of the name on the letter is one I have never used. Here is an example:

Names Used:

1. Eul Soo Kim
2. Eulsoo Jones
3. Eul Soo Jones
4. Eulsoo Kim Jones

I chose version 4 - Eulsoo Kim Jones; however, the Oath letter has it addressed to Eulsoo Soo Jones. :mad:

My oath ceremony is set for the end of this month. Is there something that I need to do prior to the ceremony?

Did you request a name change during the IV? A person here had requested a anmechange and the oath letter had his old name so he was worried but turned out the NatCertf had the correct/new name.

My guess would be that your name will be correct in the Certf. Usually there is a small table where you can get mistakes corrected after oath but not sure if this is at all DOs.

Hi -

Set up an InfoPass appointment to get this straightened out. I would advise not waiting until the oath ceremony, because if there in fact a mistake in the spelling of your name, they will take away the certificate and issue a new one. With USCIS, you won't know when they will get that done and will be in another waiting game. So, just go for an InfoPass and speak to an IO about the error.

I would also write it all in a letter (with your information and problem details) so you can give that to the IO along with a copy of the Oath Letter. This way, the IO can pass it on to the person in charge of printing the certificates. The good news is that you have some time between now and the oath ceremony, so this can be rectified.

As always - keep a copy of everything you send into USCIS.

Good luck - and please keep us posted.

I don't know if this helps or not, but my wife had requested a name change on her N-400 application and everything including her oath letter had the original name she used as part of the application.

Her naturalization certificate had the correct name though.

Also, at the oath, we were told to carefully examine the naturalization certificate and they told us that any name errors can be corrected within a few days (I don't recall the exact number).

If I were you, I would go for INFOPASS appointment before oath takes place. It won't hurt you. It would be better and quick to correct the name via infopass customer service before you have a mind of peace and enjoy taking the oath.