Income requirements and proceeding to interview

Sotiredofthis

My husband and I have been back and forth with the NVC for many months about the financial support details of our case. We both live abroad and are seeking to move to the USA (I am an American citizen). As a result of this situation, we do not meet the income requirements as we do not have jobs in the USA yet. We knew going into the process that we would need to use our assets to qualify, and we have more than enough assets in the USA to meet the requirements (in excess of $1m USD in combined real estate and cash). We provided extensive asset details in our original submission to the NVC.

I could really use advice on our most recent correspondence from the NVC as the delays have now exceed 8 months from our original submission of documents. The NVC has sent us two new messages today. The first simply states “please submit petitioner’s evidence of income”. We submitted all documentation on my income already (which doesn’t meet the income requirements, as we already knew). We have already uploaded a statement to CEAC stating that this is our complete and total income information and this was accepted in CEAC.

The second message says “This case does not meet the minimum income requirement to sponsor the intending immigrant. To avoid delays, an additional affidavit of support from a joint sponsor may be submitted. The consular officer will make a decision regarding this requirement at the time of the interview.”

My questions are:

1. We always knew that we would not meet the income requirements, and that the consular officer would need to assess our assets to determine if we met the requirements. How do I get the NVC to proceed to schedule an interview from here?? Does this message mean that they are proceeding to deem us documentarily complete? I’m certain the consular officer will be satisfied with our asset information but I don’t seem to be able to even get to that stage because the NVC wants to keep talking about our non-existent income.
  2. Why am I getting two different messages on the same day? One message seems to provide a direction (give more information that I don’t have about my income!) and the other seems to be an option “e.g., you may wish to provide this additional information at the interview.” What does this mean?

We have explained all of our income and asset arrangements very clearly in my 864 document so I really can’t understand why we have to keep going back and forth on this with the NVC.

Any advice is most appreciated. I’ll also be trying to get through to the NVC by phone but I don’t always find they can help by phone.