In EU with N470 need to apply for citizenshi

Elplast

Registered Users (C)
Need Help:

I am almost ready to apply for Citizenship August 09. I have been out of US with the N470 approved.
In 2007 I flew each month to Europe and back since I negotiate contracts for a big US company.
In 2008 they asked me to stay in assignment there and got approved for N470, I fly every 3 months back to US.

I have more than 30months continues and also have my salary paid in US in US bank. As well I pay US tax as Resident and State taxes.

I have a car which I paid regularly till last month after payments were done. I continue to us and Pay US Credit/Debit Cards.

I intend to return after my assignment is over but not sure when this will be.

ANY Advice how are my chances on receiving Citizenship.

With the approved N-470, you should be OK unless you have a 6 month trip or a series of back to back trips (under 6 months each, but totaling over a year) that you made before the N-470 was approved. If you're going to apply while still overseas, make sure you can return 3 times during the process ... for the fingerprints, interview, and oath.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Jackolantern

... or a series of back to back trips (under 6 months each, but totaling over a year) ...QUOTE]

Can you please explain this. Is this a law (written) or ground for a subjective appreciation?
What is the reference period used here?
If in a given period of 2 years you undertook 3 trips of 6 months -1 day then here you are over a year within a 2 year period. Is this your meaning?

If in a given period of one year you undertook 2 trips that total 2 x 6months - 1 week then you are not over a year in that time frame.

If the given period runs between 1/1 and 12/31 and you have 3 months out, 1 week in, 5 months out, 1 week in and the rest out up to 12/31 then here again you are not over a year in that time frame.

Can you please elaborate your thoughts.
Thank you
N

When you apply for citizenship and they are evaluating continuous residence, they look at the entire pattern of travel, not just whether each individual trip is 6 months or less. It is a subjective evaluation of whether your travel history and (documented) reasons for being away and ties to the US form the overall picture of somebody who has continuously maintained their US residence. I don't know of anybody run into trouble with back-to-back trips if they total was under a year and each trip was under 6 months, but some have run into trouble where the total of the back-to-back trips was a few months more than a year (like 15-16 months). But there is no explicit limit of a 1 year total.

The 6 month rule is not the be-all and end-all; it just makes it easier for them to decide against you based on that one thing alone. If you have a trip of 6+ months, they don't have to look at the entire pattern of trips to deny you, and the burden of proof is on you to convince them you didn't break residence, not on them to show that you broke it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for helping everyone on such a delicate issue.

I lived in the USA for about 15 years but I became permanent resident in Feb 2004. Up until October 2007, I used to work in the head office of my current employer located in GA, USA and since October 2007 I was relocated to their branch office in Dubai. Before moving to Dubai I got my N-470 and REP approved and my employment contract is clearly mentioned that it’s temporary assignment for a period of 3 years but I know it will extend for some time.

I will be eligible for citizenship in Feb 2010 minus 90 days. However, at the time of eligibility I will still be in Dubai and will send my N-400 to my friend for filing with all the required paper work. My questions to you are:
1. Do I still need to come 3 months before filling for citizenship application to fullfill physical presence in the district?
2. Doesn’t the purpose of N-470 is to preserve residence while working abroad?
3. Can I apply while living abroad and make short trips for figure prints and so on to fulfill 3 months physical presence?
4. I have a bank account, own a house and utilities are still on my name. Will this help?

I along with my family will be in the USA in June 2010 for about 2 months but would like to apply around December to safe extra trips for finger prints, interview, and oath.

Your input on this matter will be greatly appointed.

When you apply for citizenship and they are evaluating continuous residence, they look at the entire pattern of travel, not just whether each individual trip is 6 months or less. It is a subjective evaluation of whether your travel history and (documented) reasons for being away and ties to the US form the overall picture of somebody who has continuously maintained their US residence. I don't know of anybody run into trouble with back-to-back trips if they total was under a year and each trip was under 6 months, but some have run into trouble where the total of the back-to-back trips was a few months more than a year (like 15-16 months). But there is no explicit limit of a 1 year total.

The 6 month rule is not the be-all and end-all; it just makes it easier for them to decide against you based on that one thing alone. If you have a trip of 6+ months, they don't have to look at the entire pattern of trips to deny you, and the burden of proof is on you to convince them you didn't break residence, not on them to show that you broke it.

Actually I was on 2 trips that were almost back to back. One for 5 montths. Stayed in the US for 1.5 months and then went again for 3 months. As such total was 8 months. I did have a reentry permit but I never had to show it at the airport. But on US citizenship interview the woman in Seattle started grilling me for ties during this time. For me it felt like 1 hour but my wife said that my whole citizenship interview lasted 15 mins. But at minimum questions were asked - so that's the main thing. I got approved though and I will be pushing my 3rd year as a US citizen.

Actually I was on 2 trips that were almost back to back. One for 5 montths. Stayed in the US for 1.5 months and then went again for 3 months. As such total was 8 months. I did have a reentry permit but I never had to show it at the airport. But on US citizenship interview the woman in Seattle started grilling me for ties during this time.
Did you have any other long trips other than those two? Or were you working for a non-US employer on either or both of those two trips?

That IO must have had something really bad for breakfast.