In a fix, I count on your speedy advice please.

justpain

Hi everyone,
I'm applying for naturalization and I need advice on where and how to report in form N400 under (Good Moral Character) about unemployment overpayments issue I had. This issue has been resolved with refund of excess payment and without any charges or court appearance.
However I want to know if this incident will hurt his chances of becoming citizen.

Little Background of my problem:
1. Some years ago, received two unemployment payments, and in each of them, made mistakes in his online reporting of my days of resuming work.
2. admitted the mistake as a result of inexperience filling online.
3. unemployment agency ruled one fraud overpayment and the other non-fraud for not report the first but voluntarily reported and corrected the second before the fact.
4. the department issued unemployment overpayment notice which is refunded and received a judgment liens from the court showing full repayment.

Finally, If this will hurt his chances, should I look for immigration lawyer?
I sincerely need your experienced advice. Thank you all.

I am not sure if this has any impact. They found an issue and it was corrected without arrest, fines, etc. so there is no need to be concerned. Read the questions very carefully and if they apply to this situation, then answer honestly and provide proof. But I cannot recall any question that would apply to this situation.

How many years ago was this?

Hi everyone,
I'm applying for naturalization and I need advice on where and how to report in form N400 under (Good Moral Character) about unemployment overpayments issue I had. This issue has been resolved with refund of excess payment and without any charges or court appearance.
However I want to know if this incident will hurt his chances of becoming citizen.

Little Background of my problem:
1. Some years ago, received two unemployment payments, and in each of them, made mistakes in his online reporting of my days of resuming work.
2. admitted the mistake as a result of inexperience filling online.
3. unemployment agency ruled one fraud overpayment and the other non-fraud for not report the first but voluntarily reported and corrected the second before the fact.
4. the department issued unemployment overpayment notice which is refunded and received a judgment liens from the court showing full repayment.

Finally, If this will hurt his chances, should I look for immigration lawyer?
I sincerely need your experienced advice. Thank you all.

I don't think you will get problems with it. Answer only what they ask and if they need any explanation, you can simply say and explain to them.

No arrest, no criminal charges, no police, no court appearance ... this looks like purely a civil matter which you don't have to report on your N-400 and USCIS will not ask about it, and it won't show up in their background checks.

I don't think you will get problems with it. Answer only what they ask and if they need any explanation, you can simply say and explain to them.
I will attache a separate paper explaining the whole issue. Now, my other problem is how to answer the questions below in view of the issue. It is very difficult for me bcos I don't want to exclude any and appear as one is covering up something. Pls which should I say "yes" or "no" to?

15. Have you ever committed a crime or offense for which you were not arrested?
16. Have you ever been arrested, cited, or detained by a any law enforcement officer for any reason?
17. Have you ever been charged with committing any crime or offense?
18. Have you ever been convicted of a crime or offense?
19. Have you ever been placed in an alternative sentencing or o rehabilitative program?

I am not sure if this has any impact. They found an issue and it was corrected without arrest, fines, etc. so there is no need to be concerned. Read the questions very carefully and if they apply to this situation, then answer honestly and provide proof. But I cannot recall any question that would apply to this situation.

How many years ago was this?
Thank you. I first filed in 2011, the one that was not reported; then, I filed again in January 2012 and later reported error in few weeks after. Investigation determination got concluded in July 2012 and I paid off without 3 month of agreed 6 months. Then, I did serve out 13 weeks benefit denial, and I over did by 4 more wks because they forgot to let me stop.
Your response has really calmed my nerves a great deal. But then how rightly can I answer the GMC questions especially these:
16. Have you ever been arrested, cited, or detained by a any law enforcement officer for any reason?
19. Have you ever been placed in an alternative sentencing or o rehabilitative program?

Your response has really calmed my nerves a great deal. But then how rightly can I answer the GMC questions especially these:

NO to all of them, unless there is another incident you haven't mentioned here.