IMPORTANT - Wife\'s Last Name Change Issues.

GCFighter

Registered Users (C)
Gurus please help. During 485 is it ok to change wife\'s last name from Maiden name to the husband\'s last name Or is it better to change after getting GC approved.
 Any suggestion/advice is appreciated.

Yes u can change at any time. I changed my wife\'s last name in after filing I140. Mine got approved

Change of name while in AOS

I considered changing the name and opted for not doing it for the time being. The whole immigration process is complicated enough, noneed to make it more difficult. INS is not very quick with updating their files even with the change of address, not talking about the change of name. I got married even before filing I-485 but I kept my maiden name anyway. For example: if you change the name and file I-485 in a new name, then you also have to change your passport, so it is all consistent. To change the passport in the US for foreign national may take some time (at least for my consulate it may take up to 3-4 months). So, you may end up in a situation when your Green Card is in one name, your drivers licence in in another name and your passport is in a different name as well. What if you urgently need your passport for INS purposes and it is still stuck somewhere in your consulate? This is just a thought, I hope it will be helpful.