Important tip regarding IBIS check and passport stamping

Mikhail

Registered Users (C)
Seems like lot of people who go to Newark and other offices are being held up in the name of additional security checks a.k.a. IBIS for their stamping even after the case has been approved - this adds to the anxiety and trauma to all.

IBIS only takes 10-15 minutes: the officer who approved my case asked me to go away that day and wait for security approval in the mail. Did not say how long would it take. That meant waiting a few more weeks and having to come back again for the stamping. My attorney politely said that another one of his clients who he had accompanied last week was approved and checked the same day and that it did not take that long. At which, the officer said - OK, go wait outside. He was back outside in 20 minutes with the passports stamped!

Moral of the story: You or your attorney can politely request them to conduct the check same day (to save you further agony). At this time, your 485 has been approved - he will not cancel it just for this simple request. So, try it - I don\'t think you have anything to lose.

Good Luck.

Passport stamped!

I went for stamping today and it was a cakewalk. Went there at 8:15 and was out by 10:45. In fact it is the SSN renewal that took quite a long time. I had to wait for almost an hour and half to be called. Anyway the struggle is finally over. Good luck to you all..

I was under the impression

Mikhail & others,

I was under the impression that INS is doing this IBIS check
for all the approved cases automatically starting from May 10th
and wanted to do this check for only those cases which got approved
before May 10th - at the time of stamping. Is this correct? Please
correct me if I am wrong.

TIA