Important - Please do not support the AILF Class Action Lawsuit

I think USCIS should accept I-485 petitions during 1st quarter of every year(irrespective of visa number availability) and stop accepting them in other quarters, this will give fair chance to every one to file their petitions and get EAD/AP benefits.
The current system of accepting a petition only when visa number becomes available does not make sense since they are not assigning the numbers at i-485 acceptance stage but at approval stage.

As MA_Labor pointed out AILA is fighting now due to potential loss of attorney fees, They never care about fighting for increasing the visa numbers. Every organization/entity in USA acts for their own benefit only.

The planners at USCIS/DOS did not properly assess the impact on EB applicants due voiding the july visa bulletin, their objectives were given priority.

I think USCIS should accept I-485 petitions during 1st quarter of every year(irrespective of visa number availability) and stop accepting them in other quarters, this will give fair chance to every one to file their petitions and get EAD/AP benefits.
The current system of accepting a petition only when visa number becomes available does not make sense since they are not assigning the numbers at i-485 acceptance stage but at approval stage.

As MA_Labor pointed out AILA is fighting now due to potential loss of attorney fees, They never care about fighting for increasing the visa numbers. Every organization/entity in USA acts for their own benefit only.

The planners at USCIS/DOS did not properly assess the impact on EB applicants due voiding the july visa bulletin, their objectives were given priority.
I would say that we should support AILA/AILF. atleast they are doing something and have a chance. what is the harm in giving EAD to people who have waited for years and years. so much time and productivity is being wasted because of USCIS inefficieny ..I am sure people who are affected by this are not concentrate on their jobs/lives. atleast the lawsuit has some chance of giving us a small victory. no matter what the lawyers will get their fees as they have already filed 485.

While no one can predict the outcome of this lawsuit, the fallout of this will definitely be many more RFEs in the future, because the USCIS will error on the side of caution henceforth and will issue RFEs for anything not well explained or documented.
Also I'm pretty sure they will change their rules regarding EAD/AP if they have to take in the additional 485s and find that they can no longer issue EAD and APs in the 90 day period.
Wonder why the lawsuit is not making any noise about namecheck delaying the approval of so many otherwise legitimate cases with older PDs. With the way it is right now, it smacks of being an exercise to ensure that the attorney's revenue stream doesn't suffer. If outrage at the sufferance of the immigrant community was upper most in their minds, we would not have been suffering retrogession for so long.

This is how an indian treats other Indian unlike other citizens like Chinese or Mexicans.
So selfish attitute and always thinking about me, my self and My family.
DUH!!!

On CNBC:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/19634804/site/14081545/page/2/

BARTIROMO: Let me ask you a question on immigration. Lawyers are planning a class action suit right now over the State Department's offer of visas to highly skilled immigrants last month, even though the Department of Citizenship said there were no more visas available. What happened?

Dr. RICE: Well, this was a case in which for--at a certain point in time, we'd not filled the entire quota for these special immigrant visas. And made an announcement of that. But when they were filled, we had to cut it off at that point. There's a ceiling that's set every year and when that ceiling was reached, then we couldn't issue the visas any longer. But we're prepared to talk to people about what happened here. If there were problems in communication then those should be looked at. But it's pretty simple. We operate under a particular ceiling, and when that ceiling is filled, then we have to--we have to live within it.

BARTIROMO: And unfortunately, aren't these the exact type of people, very highly skilled, some physicians, that America wants to attract?

Dr. RICE: Well, it goes back to the point that I--that I made. A lot of people want to come to the United States. People will skills want to come to the United States. I'm a very big believer in having those people come to the United States, because the truth of the matter is, we don't, ourselves, produce enough of that skilled labor. We need to work on the educational front to make sure that we are producing us the numbers of engineers and the numbers of software people and the numbers of physicians that we need.

Dr. RICE: But we need immigration as well. The ceilings have been set. They are not ceilings that we set, they're set in the--they're set by statute, and I know that there are many who would like to see them raised, but that's a--that's a matter for the administration and Congress.

==================================================

No wonder, many people see slim chance of success for this lawsuit.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not sure if this lawsuit will be of any success. DOS can simply say that once the ceiling is reached, there is no more visa for July and onwards until October. Like Rice said, their ceiling is reached thus it is important to pull the rug. And that is the reason these people worked all weekend in adjudicating the pending cases, some cases without even NameCheck.

If you look at the WOM, where they were stuck in NC, once the WOM is filed, it gets cleared - I am not sure if they have plenty of time to look at the namecheck as usually it is done within few days.

The only thing this lawsuit might do is, they will let eligible people to file I-485if are eligible to file in July, and keep the same fee. We will have to wait and watch of its outcome.

Do not support the lawsuit. AILA was very quick in response. USCIS has some background for doing this. Pissing of USCIS...we will be stuck in 485 for years....Suing Federal....not an easy thing to win.

Let us wait for few more weeks.

See we never asked about July VB to be current ,it significantly shows they did not do their homework b4 taking out the bulletin.So in that case they should know the rules made by them.I don't know much about legal stuff,but I think this lawsuit will tell me to do their homework ,instead of playing a guess game.:mad:

Into the mix...

Why is AILA fighting for us now?
It isn't really fighting for us. Two words, Billable Hours.

And since the enemy of my enemy is my friend, I support AILA's and other similar lawsuits. Everyone prefers to be at least in I-485 queue (get EAD/AP and be AC21 eligible) rather than wait indefinitely to apply for it. I have nothing against comrades who've broken free (are AC21 eligible). I do not think that these lawsuits will be harmful to the already approved I-485 applications unless they were approved illegally to start with. The next few weeks should be interesting to watch DOS, USCIS and AILA duke it out.

So what if they have a ceiling? The problem is that by making all categories current, they misled everybody into thinking the ceiling was too far away to affect them in July.

On what grounds do you think USCIS will be forced to accept all 485 applications filed in July?
Isn't what the law suit is about? plus the ofcourse the lost revenue for lawyers, money spent by clients etc.

How can they possibly accept new applications when there are no visa numbers available? Yes they can, when the court orders them to do so. If they can't, what is the suit about and why are we discussing positive and negative effects?

If they accept new application irrespective of the unavailability of visa numbers, what is stopping them from keeping the dates current for ever? What's the point of enforcing cutoff dates? Ponder.

Don't you guys see it? Why is AILA so quick to take action in this case while we've been suffering for so long? This involves the attorney fees. They don't care about you. After your applications are filed and the've got their fees they'll forget all about you like they did for us.
They get their fees now or in future that is gauranteed. They would also get more money if 485s are not filed so ppl would file H1B ext etc. We can't argue both ways some people were happy(obivously not everyone) that they can finally get rid of yearly fees that they pay to lawyers, employers when 485s were current. Now that AILF is fighting for 485 filings you are claiming that lawyers are the only one who would benefit. Imagine how much relief it is to the ppl like us who are effected? BTW my 485 is already filed in 2005. LIVE AND LET LIVE.

I am not against everything being current. In fact I welcomed the July Bulletin. But I also don't think that USCIS did anything wrong by clearing out the backlog, if they really approved 60K cases in June. In the long run it's going to help us all out.

And, btw what makes you think that by opposing the lawsuit, I don't want people to file their 485? Come October, most likely the dates will be current again. Lawsuits never do any good to us common people, only people to benefit are the lawyers. By taking this to court, I guarantee you that you will be stalling a process which is already moving at snail pace. Nothing good will ever come out of it.

It's funny when people are so quick to stamp their judgement on you. I knew that I was treading in dangerous waters when I posted this thread. In order to post in this forum you have to be like politicians. Only say what others want to hear. The moment you deviate from popular topics, comes a backlash. You know what, I am going to say it. AILA lawsuit will be such a great success that everything will be current. No retrogression ever. USCIS learn a lesson and they will never mess with us poor immigrants. One phone call to TSC reps will get your GC approved no matter what's pending. I know we all like to live this dream so why not.

Have fun guys!

It appears to me that USCIS did not want the deluge of applications to come to them, which means more work for them. So they worked overtime for a few weekends to use up all the visa numbers so that they can relax for the next 8 months and process at what ever pace they want.

Instead of AILA trying to file a lawsuit specifically around the July bulletin fiasco, I wish they file a lawsuit to try and reclaim the 180K visa numbers lost over the last few years. That would do a lot more good to us all rather than having our applications accepted and sitting in the queue for the next 5-10 years.
And another thing to fight for is, now that there is a proven precedent that USCIS can approve 25K visas in a few days, make USCIS to stick to that standard and process atleast 50K (??) applications each month. They need not approve them all, but atleast process them so that RFEs are issued, or reach to a state where they are just waiting for visa number availability.

...Come October, most likely the dates will be current again....

ha ha ha. Good one. Probably in October 2011, certainly not in 2008. Or probably you are talking about EB1-ROW only. There is no way EB2-India or EB3-India is going to go anywhere past 2005, forget about current.

ha ha ha. Good one. Probably in October 2011, certainly not in 2008. Or probably you are talking about EB1-ROW only. There is no way EB2-India or EB3-India is going to go anywhere past 2005, forget about current.

MA Labor! I am shocked by your assessments. Current in October; USCIS has learnt its lesson etc. If USCIS was not so inefficient, I would have said you are one of them.
At some point of time, you have to got to stop taking the abuse and stand up for yourself. We are also for once getting AILF on our side on this issue.
Do you really think USCIS will send u a RFE because of AILF's case? Even if it did, I would think most of the legal immigrants will protest on this one.

What AILA has done for legal immigrants?????!!!!!!!!!

:( :( :eek: :eek: I am seeing after this july visa scam,we guys are fighting among ourselves,if some one gives any suggestion( bad or good) we should think that this person is putting his/her own point of view .In this time of crisis one should keep cool and think that everybody in this Forum is waiting for GC.One side we talk about Gandhigiri on the other hand we can not stop accusing others of being selfish.We all common people dealing with dirty politics:eek:

What AILA has done for legal immigrants?????!!!!!!!!!

AILA members have helped millions of immigrants to fulfill their American dream by helping to get H1, GC and Citizenship and menay other servies. AILA Attorney’s role is similar to a Doctor. As Doctor does the service for a fee, so is the Attorney...

AILA is not a charity organization serving for free. AILA is no different than any other private business

This July Visa Bulletin Fiasco has jeopardized AILA members business, so the need for filing lawsuit. Its helping clients and in turn helping themselves.

Here are few historical situations where AILA did not do much to help their clients as it was not directly helping them and I personally experienced and endured these un-favorable situations in the last 10 years.

1. 245i Cases: In 2001, Former President of USA, Bill Clinton was very generous to grant indirect amnesty to 100s of thousands of out of status personnel in US to apply for GC through family and employment channels. 100s of thousands benefited. Several new attorneys became millionaires. Employment sponsors were created and 100s of LCs applied through single companies. In the east cost it took nearly 4 years to get labor approved. Till then the attorney fee paid was purely for the attorney only and no fee was needed to apply for labor. Imagine couple of thousand dollars each for 100s of applicants for four years. AILA has never put any successful effort to expedite the labor certification process, nor lobbied to prevent transferring pending applications to backlog centers. (Here AILA may say that they have done their best in this regard, but let us not consider any thing less than successful).

Result, many abandoned labor certifications, which are sold in substitute labor market for as high as 25k. Both, employer and attorney are beneficiaries in this LC sale. My guess is that, not more than 5% have received genuine labor substitute benefit with out spending extra amount.

2. Limited Annual Employment GC quota: Having known that 100s of thousands of additional labor certifications are pouring into the system through 245i , AILA has not been successful in lobbying for additional quota to accommodate the 245i cases. These amnesty cases were merged with H1 legal immigrant GC cases and resulted in deep retrogression to the advantage of AILA members. Legal immigrants were pushed behind 245i cases. These Amnesty cases should have been pooled separate like ‘other workers’ to protect the legal Tax paying immigrants GC applications. What AILA has done in this regard.

3. Labor Substitution: While every one knows the sincerity of this provision, AILA has done its best to stop/delay the elimination of labor substitution. It has always asked every prospective beneficiary to fight tooth and nail to stop elimination for the sole reason of self help than American Industrial needs.

4. I 485 transfers and Bi Specialization: East Coast States Labor Certifications were delayed by years and years, while other states were approving in less that a year. 2001 applications were approved in late 2004 and 2005. These 4 years old PDs were submitted to Vermont Center.

In 2005 July, when visa numbers became un- available, several thousands were struck, while at other centers GCs were approved with PDs 2003 and 2004.

These pending 2001 and 2002 year PD 485 cases were waiting at Vermont center from 2005 to 2007 for the PD to become current for retrogressed countries. Bi specialization was promoted as cure for this imbalance of approval dates.

5. In March 2007 all Vermont center 485 cases were transferred to Texas service center. What a disadvantage??? 2001 PD cases from Vermont center with 485 RD in 2004 and 2005 have to watch in desperation when 2002, 2003, and 2004 cases from native Texas center are getting approved in Jun 2007. What AILA has done to protect the interest of Vermont center 485 cases with PD in 2001 and 2002??. Profit is the primary motive. There is no profit to fight for 2001 delayed cases. The fee is already collected. Clients are not going to pay any more fee for the pending 485 cases.

( There are several dozen more reasons. However, this forum is not a public platform. It’s a kind gesture from an outstanding AILA member.)

New 485 cases is a gold mine and already major chunk of processing fee is collected by attorneys. Now they want to protect that fee and are expecting four fold business more to come. Having lost the hopes of CIR business boom, AILA has to work hard to protect this July VISA bulletin in the interest of its members.

What ever is the motive, fighting for the visa bulletin fiasco is good for new GC prospects with approved labor. Challenging the late June approvals does not make the Visa Bulletin Fiasco case any stronger. Adhering to the cause of disadvantaged 485 prospects will make the case more genuine and appealing to the court for expeditious relief measures.

USCIS and DOS seem to have already realized the confusion of July 2007 Visa Bulletin and trying to correct it, as we can see from the two updates. In a day or two USCIS may come out with welcoming clarifications.

No doubt that the way USCIS and DOS handled the employment based GC processing in the last decade is deplorable. No synchronization. Left hand doesn’t know what right hand is doing. However, do they care and fear of AILA!!!!!! That’s a million dollar question!!!
Suing Federal Agency is not an easy thing to do. It may have serious repercussions in the form of added obstacles in 485 adjudications , strict adherence to rules and increased denials. Again, does AILA care for these repercussions? Its a billion dollar question!!!!

Ok, even if EB2 & EB3 India reach 2005 in October VB, how is that unreasonable? Let’s just disregard the July visa bulletin for a moment and analyze some facts. Here's how the priority dates have moved in the last 1 year or so.

Visa Bulletin___EB3 India_______EB2 India
-----------------------------------------------
Apr 2006________01-Feb-2001_____01-Jul-2002
May 2006________01-Mar-2001_____01-Jan-2003
Jun 2006________08-Apr-2001_____01-Jan-2003
Jul 2006________15-Apr-2001_____01-Jan-2003
Aug 2006________01-Apr-2001_____Unavailable
Sep 2006________15-Apr-2001_____Unavailable
Oct 2006________22-Apr-2001_____15-Jun-2002
Nov 2006________22-Apr-2001_____01-Jan-2003
Dec 2006________22-Apr-2001_____01-Jan-2003
Jan 2007________08-May-2001_____08-Jan-2003
Feb 2007________08-May-2001_____08-Jan-2003
Mar 2007________08-May-2001_____08-Jan-2003
Apr 2007________08-May-2001_____08-Jan-2003
May 2007________08-May-2001_____08-Jan-2003
Jun 2007________01-Jun-2003_____01-Apr-2004
Jul 2007________F***ed Up_______F***ed Up
Oct 2007________01-Jan-2005_____01-Jan-2005

During May the CIS Ombudsman published his annual report and made the recommendation to utilize visa numbers more aggressively as almost 50% numbers were still remaining. You can see the difference right there in the June visa bulletin. I know they scr**wed up in July but it shows their intent to allocate visa numbers aggressively, as opposed to the prior conservative approach. So for once they try to do something right and it seems nobody can take it. What would have happened if USCIS has simply maintained status-quo and wasted visa numbers this year too? I bet nobody would have sued them then.

Last edited by a moderator:
MA_Labor/Spinner

MA_Labor!
Have you heard of the Stockholm syndrome. The prisoner/hijacked start identifying with the hijackers cause.
What u r saying is that USCIS screwed up trying to improve upon how they handled things in the past and should do better in the future and we should not disturbe them or sue them.
You can really spin it!
Why can't USCIS accept 485 applications even if the visas are over (and not wait for July 30th to charge double the fees). What about the difference between EB-1, 2 and 3 categories and everything going 'U'. What about USCIS accepting EB-3/2 485 cases in the past when bulletins have gone 'U' and then not accepting it for other workers (as soon as June '07) while still showing available on the bulletins.
If anything, USCIS was inefficient and mismanaged before the july fiasco but had some credibility. July fiasco just destroyed any credibility they had, nor do they care. Time to sue the bastards!

Ok, even if EB2 & EB3 India reach 2005 in October VB, how is that unreasonable? Let’s just disregard the July visa bulletin for a moment and analyze some facts. Here's how the priority dates have moved in the last 1 year or so.

Visa Bulletin___EB3 India_______EB2 India
-----------------------------------------------
Apr 2006________01-Feb-2001_____01-Jul-2002
May 2006________01-Mar-2001_____01-Jan-2003
Jun 2006________08-Apr-2001_____01-Jan-2003
Jul 2006________15-Apr-2001_____01-Jan-2003
Aug 2006________01-Apr-2001_____Unavailable
Sep 2006________15-Apr-2001_____Unavailable
Oct 2006________22-Apr-2001_____15-Jun-2002
Nov 2006________22-Apr-2001_____01-Jan-2003
Dec 2006________22-Apr-2001_____01-Jan-2003
Jan 2007________08-May-2001_____08-Jan-2003
Feb 2007________08-May-2001_____08-Jan-2003
Mar 2007________08-May-2001_____08-Jan-2003
Apr 2007________08-May-2001_____08-Jan-2003
May 2007________08-May-2001_____08-Jan-2003
Jun 2007________01-Jun-2003_____01-Apr-2004
Jul 2007________F***ed Up_______F***ed Up
Oct 2007________01-Jan-2005_____01-Jan-2005

During May the CIS Ombudsman published his annual report and made the recommendation to utilize visa numbers more aggressively as almost 50% numbers were still remaining. You can see the difference right there in the June visa bulletin. I know they scr**wed up in July but it shows their intent to allocate visa numbers aggressively, as opposed to the prior conservative approach. So for once they try to do something right and it seems nobody can take it. What would have happened if USCIS has simply maintained status-quo and wasted visa numbers this year too? I bet nobody would have sued them then.

I agree with MA Labor. If at all we should sue USCIS for year 2000-2006 not 2007. This year they may have made a error in judgement and I am sure, it was very harsh on many people but still it was better this year than last few years. By the way, I am not yet eligible for filing 485 and I do not claim be selfless.