Important: Entering US when AP is about to expire

gcnotez

Registered Users (C)
Hi Silly Man/others,
Can u please advice me on this.
My wife and I have our AP's valid until August 8 of this year. We have both applied for renewal (RD/ND: APril 7, 03). We don't yet have the approval. Is it wise to travel to India and get back just a week before the expiry of the present AP? Would that pose any probelm? Even if we carry proof that we have applied for renewal of AP ahead of time?

Thanks much in advance,
gcnotez.

AP is used for the same purpose, so that you can make entry in to US while your I-485 is pending. Only thing you should be having valid, un-expired AP with you and some supporting documents. Better if you have EAD also with you. Since I have seen in few cases where officer at POE had asked for EAD also.

In your case you will be back before your AP expired so that should be OK.It does not make difference if it is going to expire in a week or so.

thanks

Thanks much. My lawyer was saying that it is risky. So, I could'nt plan for my trip yet. But, I will consult another lawyer on this issue maybe. Thanks for sharing your experiences.
gcnotez.

My wife entered US last week 3 days before AP expiration

- Should not be a problem even one day before the expiration - but not after..

- Shazam

It is risky

Did your lawyer say using your soon to be expired AP was risky even if you entered the country before it expires? I would think not. I would think it is risky because you may have to postpone your return trip due to unavoidable reasons (sometimes things happen), what are you going to do then?

I was in the same situation early this year. I came back a week before AP expiry. I carried 485 receipt and EAD card along with AP. They asked for only AP at port of entry.

My lawyer also cautioned me against the trip. But I went ahead anyway after learning from others on this site.

It isn't really a problem entering the country on your AP as long as the AP is not expired, BUT, if you don't have any urgent reason's to travel, it might be better to wait a little while. INS is busy churning out AP's so your approval should be in the mail soon.

Good luck!

Originally posted by 140_takes_4ever
INS is busy churning out AP's so your approval should be in the mail soon.

I disagree. Based on my wife's experience and the two latest JITs (5/1 and 5/15) they are _not_ churning out APs. They seem to be churning out EADs however. My wife's AP WAC is 03-128 (3/17) and we got an RFE in mail today.

I returned when there was 4 days left on my AP.
They asked to see my EAD too.
Also, they took away my AP documents at Port
of Entry (saying I won't be needing it!), but
they let me in.

Used my AP to enter US just 10 days ago....

I went back home to see my dad using advance parole give or take 3 weeks before my it expires. (Expiration Date: June 27, 2003) I came back to the US last June 2, in LAX Airport.

I fell in line at Aisle 1 (not the area for Tourist, Immigrant, Citizens). I think it is the area where the Transient Seamen entered, as well those who has Student Visas, and probably cases like ours.

The following are the information they asked me at the Port of Entry:

1) My Social Security Number
2) My status when I entered the US before.
3) Where I work and the kind of work I am doing in the US. My profession or occupation.
4) Whether this is my first time to use the advance parole

Other than those information, he did not require anything else. I don't even have my EAD on hand as what the others had been informing in previous posts.