Important: ***Confirmed*** - September Chennai Consulate Appointments - Track Here!

$65 it is..

I did the same thing.. got the $65 answer.

Originally posted by GC1
I sent an email to chennai consulate regarding the visa fee.
they replied that it is $65 only person . I already paid 520 at nvc
for me and my wife. For safety I am taking this email printout.

see you in chennai..

hi all,

I am leaving for India today. the interview is on 25th. See atleast some of you in chennai. best wishes everyone.

Manish ...

All the best. Thanks for continual help you have provided. My interview is on 24th.

Bon Voyage.
thx

Nara

Immigration Photos

Hi,

Does any one know of photo shops that are open till late night where we can take immigration photos ? We are landing in Chennai on the 16th night and have medical exam appts on the 17th morning.

Thanks,
Vish

vkolla

better to take passport style photos from here for the medicals and then get immigration style snaps done in chennai

CP questions

Hi,

I had 2 questions regarding the CP interview :

1) Do u need to have 2 copies of bank statemenets,
pay stubs etc. or is one enogh. The reason i ask is do u
submit all the papers for ur interview and spouse at the
same time or seperately ???

2) Do u submit passport along with documents or
do we submit it later ??

Navin

hi

I came in 1999 july with i-94 expires in sep 2001.
Afteward in 2000 i got new H1 with i-94 which
expires in dec 2002. Till now i did not go india,
now i am leaving for cp interview should i staple
that new i-94 to old and give in the air port.If so
which part we should tear from h1 extension down part
(i-94 info)l eft,right or whole.please clarify.
thanks
gcvege

please help

Hi,
Any one please answer my previous query about i-94.
I have three more questions
1) On whose favour we have to take blue dart dd and how
much?
2) On whose favour we have to take visa issuance fees dd
and how much exactly?
3) What is the dollar rate in rupee at present?

thanks
gcvege

gcvege

1. you need to give only old I-94 at airport. Only if they ask give the new H-1 approval petition and give them the bottom part. Keep a notarized copy for your records also.

2. Blue dart dd rs. 250 + (rs 50x number of applicants) for example family of 4 will be charged 250 for courier fees and Rs.50 towards insurance for each applicant and would be a total dd of 450. In favor of Blue dart express limited payable at chennai

3. $ 65 per person(am not sure , may be $ 75 per person also, call the number below before purchasing), if you have already paid $ 260 per person at NVC. Payable to the american consulate general chennai .

4. Call 811-2000(chennai) ext 3440 for exact exchange rate for dd.

Medical Exam completed

Hi All,

I got my medical exam done yesterday. Was a breeze. Reached Lister at around 9:45 and they took 5 ml blood from me and my wife and later took chest X-Rays. The reports were ready by 4:30 and we headed straight to Dr. Vijaya Lakshmi. She was very cordial and co-operative. She even accomodated a couple who did not have any appt. She asked me for my previous vaccination records. Since I had taken MMR shots earlier in '97 and got chicken pox when young, I did not have to take any vaccinations. My wife got both the shots though and there were no side effects exception for pain on the arm. She gave our medical records in an open envalope. The whole process took about 1.5 hrs including the wait etc. It costed us Rs. 2550 at Dr. Vijaya Lakshmi and Rs 1200 at Lister.

I called consulate to find out about the rupee equivalent and they told me to take a dd for $65 at rupee equivalent of Rs 49 per dollar. I am planning to take the dd from SBI.

Also, I had paid $260 earlier to NVC. And so they asked me to take a dd for $65.

-Vish.

Interview Complete

Hi! I had my interview completed yesterday(20) and got my Visa couried today morning(21st) at my local Chennai address. Here are some pointers:

1) They needed a photocopy of my latest H1 as the H1B visa on my passport was that of my previous company.

2) They only needed the Immigration style pics(3) and not any other.

3) They only asked for my 1040 and tax returns of 2001 and not the prior yrs.

4) No bags are allowed inside. So, just bring folders or if u need a bag, only plastic bags are allowed.

5) Dress code - every one was in casual clothing. I was the only one with a tie. Dunno if I can attribute the promtness of my case to a formal attire but I think it might help. I was out by 10:45 AM and mine was the first case approved.

Nothing else different from what I have read - the usual - submitting documents first, then they called me a second time to check for anything missing, returned docs that they didnt require and asked for the courier draft, and then finally they called me to tell me all was well and asked me to pay the 3185 draft at the Cashier counter and that I would be receiving the courier with the visa within 2 days.

Best of luck to the rest.

CP done on sept 25 chennai

hi all,
will post details later. I had a successful interview on sept 25th, got the visa couriered on 26th. everything was as expected. questions were merely the total experience and where I had gotten my previous visas. hoping to POE on oct 3rd.

from what I saw, all EB candidates that day got approves easily. I saw rekhak, mathodram & vkolla, and a few I dont know my nickname.

good luck everyone.

Successfully completed CP at Chennai on the 25th

No real problems. Experiences were very similar to those mentioned in earlier postings.

Just a few notes.

* The officer at the consulate required the
documents of the primary and dependant
applicants to be separate when submitting.

* I had my DOB certificate taken just a year ago
and did not have to take any additional
affidavits from parents.

* I had given a local address of Chennai and the
courier cover was delivered to me by 11:30 on
the 26th. The consular office hands you over a
label to put the address where the courier cover
needs to be delivered and on one corner there
is a tracking number on it. The phone numbers
of blue dart express in Chennai are :
826 7510, 826 6658, 826 7202, 826 3539 and a
ton more.

* We stayed at Gitanjali hotel opp. to Ranganathan
street on and it costs Rs 1200 for a AC room a
night with 24 hr checkout. The rooms were very
close to what we find in the US. It is a little
far from the consulate (~6 KM, Rs 30-35 for the
auto to the consulate), but worth the distance
since its so close to shopping.

Congrats to all Successful CPers at chennai- Please clarify details about PCC....

Did anyone of the sept CPers take PCC from local police stations in India, in addition to the PCC from Indian Consulate/embassy in US?
Do we need to take local PCC at-all???

Appreciate your inputs in this regard.

-Ravi

Re: Congrats to all Successful CPers at chennai- Please clarify details about PCC....

Ravi,

Indian Consulate in the US sends applicant's information to the relevant local police stations in India and waits for a month. If the consulate does not hear anything back with adverse information, a PCC is issued. That is why it takes 1 mo for the PCC to be issued. So if we take PCC from an Indian Consulate in the US, we are fine. We do not have to take a PCC from local police stations in India.

HTH,
Vish.

Originally posted by RaviPK
Did anyone of the sept CPers take PCC from local police stations in India, in addition to the PCC from Indian Consulate/embassy in US?
Do we need to take local PCC at-all???

Appreciate your inputs in this regard.

-Ravi

hotels @ chennai..

guys..
do U know of any good hotel near the US consulate in Chennai..
Any reco would be help=full..

Plastic Cards

Hi Guys,

Have any one of you received your plastic cards as yet ? Is there a place where we can track when we will be gettting one ?

Thanks
Vish.

vkolla

there's another thread tracking cards for interviews till october. it depends on your POE I think. in any case, myself and wife ( landed 10/3) received our cards 10/18, and welcome letters the next monday. SSN took one week. you should be receiving yours soon, usually it takes 2-4 weeks for CP ppl.

hth