Important: ***Confirmed*** - September Chennai Consulate Appointments - Track Here!

Spouse Interview on Sep 27

Appointment scheduled on Sep 27th (Friday).

Not yet received Pkt-4 at Indian address.

a couple of general questions

hi all,

I heard from someone that for 485 filing, if your birthcertificate was issued more than one year after your birth date, then you need affidavits from parents. Any truth in this? generally people take BC in India when they have to start kids in school, so it's done a few years late.

Also, if someone wants to call US ( and India if possible) from mid-transit, say a european city, what's the easiest way? Any specific callingcards which will allow that? any collect call numbers? my wife is leaving earlier, and I would like to make sure she is able to contact mid-journey.

I am also waiting for my P4, they said it was sent on 12th.

Thanks,

Got Packet 4 at the indian address.
It was received today August 16th. (india time)

Is this a BIG problem : BirthCert has Kozikode, Passport has Calicut ...

Hello Friends,
My interview is on Sept 24. My wife's B.C has Kozikode as place of Birth, and her passport has Calicut as place of birth. Kozikode is also called Calicut (just like Chennai/Madras). Is this going to be a problem ? What do you all suggest.

Manish, If you are from Calicut, do you have the same issue too ??

thanks
Nara

Re: Is this a BIG problem : BirthCert has Kozikode, Passport has Calicut ...

Originally posted by nara
Hello Friends,
My interview is on Sept 24. My wife's B.C has Kozikode as place of Birth, and her passport has Calicut as place of birth. Kozikode is also called Calicut (just like Chennai/Madras). Is this going to be a problem ? What do you all suggest.

Manish, If you are from Calicut, do you have the same issue too ??

thanks
Nara

Should not be a problem. May like to print out of news from internet archive when the name was changes. I think everybody must be knowing that thing in Chennai consulate. So relax!

nara

the officer who checks BC is apparently Indian in chennai, so he should know. in any case, take news printouts.

when was your BC issued, was it several years after birth?

in any case,

http://www.geocities.com/Vienna/3193/papers/india.html
http://www.mapping.com/changes.shtml
http://travel.indiainfo.com/packages/indian/kozhikode.html

so dont worry.

I am not from kozhikode, but from a town in thrissur whose name did not change. but my wife has the issue.

PS: I received my P4 at my kerala address on 17th august.

what kind of rates are u all paying to chennai?

have not booked tickets yet, H-1 revalidation is still pending in washington, hopefully next week, I am being quoted around 1550, is that normal?

Re: what kind of rates are u all paying to chennai?

Depends on the airline. I was quoted $1550 from DEN to MAA via Lufthansa, $1360 on S'pore and $1295 on Cathay.

You can try Shalini Rao at 1-800-248-0388, (818) 710-0166. I booked tix from her the last 3 times I travelled to India and got the best deals.

Originally posted by sanjna
have not booked tickets yet, H-1 revalidation is still pending in washington, hopefully next week, I am being quoted around 1550, is that normal?

rekhak

booked tickets, both to kerala. will travel from there to chennai by jet airways later, they have a special running.

from here, NW/KLM cost 1440 for my wife ( tickets booked about one week in advance) including taxes adn everything, 1221 for me traveling later, including everything. base fares were about 120 less in each case, without taxes etc.

try alanita travels. www.alanitatravel.com , I have used them in the past with good results.

anyone started looking into hotel bookings? do the rates change if you call from US, and is it better to book through a relative in India?

hotel bookings,

anyone started looking into hotel bookings? do the rates change if you call from US, and is it better to book through a relative in India?

Hello manish,

iam a chenniaite, so i have never stayed in any hotel.

Did you all try calling CHOLA SHERATON, It is on the same road as the U.S EMBASSAY. ofCourse, CHOLA SHERATON is a five-star hotel, should be decent one & probably more $$$.

this website lists all the 5-star, 4-star HOTELS in madras.
http://www.hotels-india.org/chennai.htm

other 5-star hotels i think which is good is, WELCOME GROUP park Sheraton, Taj Cormondel...

these are all very close to the U.S Embassay.

my 2 cents.

--localMadras

FARE

What airport are you flying out of?. Fares out of east coast are much less. Air-India round trip from the mid-atlantic region is $1125 all inclusive, that I was quoted to Madras. I was told that Lufthansa has a sale to Bombay for about $950+taxes from IAD, PHL etc. but one has to add $410 to that (roundtrip BOM/MAA).
I am flying AI.

Originally posted by sanjna

Five Star Hotels

Hi Local Madras,

I have looked into them and they charge at a minimum (yes -max $200) $75+Taxes with noon checkout. One can book online with these hotels. Apparently, Tamil Nadu charges 25% luxury tax on top of 10% Central Tax.

I am going to be in one of the following. Hotel Ranjith, Hotel Palmgrove or Hotel Ganpath. These are all close to the Consulate 10min max by auto. Hotel Ganpath is also very close to Lister I think, approximately costing $25 to 50 with 24 hour checkout. I have stayed in Ranjith and Palmgrove before and though they are not five star, they are clean. Anyone with more recent experience, please post.

Originally posted by localmadras

Hello manish,

iam a chenniaite, so i have never stayed in any hotel.

Did you all try calling CHOLA SHERATON, It is on the same road as the U.S EMBASSAY. ofCourse, CHOLA SHERATON is a five-star hotel, should be decent one & probably more $$$.

this website lists all the 5-star, 4-star HOTELS in madras.
http://www.hotels-india.org/chennai.htm

other 5-star hotels i think which is good is, WELCOME GROUP park Sheraton, Taj Cormondel...

these are all very close to the U.S Embassay.

my 2 cents.

--localMadras

I am planning to stay at Crystal Residency.
It is 2min walk from the Consulate. You can
get more info at www.crystalresidency.com.

According to their website, they charge
Rs 900 for double occupancy A/C.

Please let me know if this hotel is okay
to stay.

Has anybody taken Doctor appts already?
My interview is on Sept 20th. Is it if
I call Dr. Vijalakshmi two weeks before
the interview for appt?

Thanks.

Recieved packet4

Recieved packet 4 at my local Indian address ( Hyderabad) on 08/17/02. Interview date 09/19/02.
:)

Question Affidavit of Support - I134

Hi All,
Can any of you who have received P4 post the document list order on the web.

Is I134 needed for spouse?
My lawyer says requirement for I134 for employment based visas has been discarded since Jan ? Is that true?

Is I-134 listed as required for any of you.

Thanks
cpindia

I134

I shall try to post it tonight. I think it's already there on chennaicp.tripod.com

re: 134, no matter what your lawyer says, you dont want to take a risk. download the form, fill it, get it notarized at any bank, and take it along.

Thanks Manish

Yeah the P4 list is there on the website. Is this list latest. I saw you have received your P4 does your list match this or is it any different? If so can you post the latest list.

Thanks
cpindia