Implication of unemployment or relocation at the time of interview

BadKarma

Registered Users (C)
I am planning to mail my N-400 in a few days. I am currently employed in New York city, however, there's no telling how long it will last. I had 2 separate questions:

1. Is it a big negative if I am unemployed at the time of the interview? Can that be grounds for rejection?
2. My company is moving its offices from New York to Chicago and I am supposed to report there in July. I plan to retain my primary residence in New Jersey as my wife works in NYC. I will basically be traveling back and forth every 2 weeks. Does this mean that I should reapply from Illinois instead of New Jersey?

I am planning to mail my N-400 in a few days. I am currently employed in New York city, however, there's no telling how long it will last. I had 2 separate questions:

1. Is it a big negative if I am unemployed at the time of the interview? Can that be grounds for rejection?

Unemployment is not a basis for rejection. There have been cases on this forum of some people having long stretches of unemployment, but got citizenship.

2. My company is moving its offices from New York to Chicago and I am supposed to report there in July. I plan to retain my primary residence in New Jersey as my wife works in NYC. I will basically be traveling back and forth every 2 weeks. Does this mean that I should reapply from Illinois instead of New Jersey?

If you plan to retain your primary residence in NJ, you should apply there. Presumably in Chicago you will be staying in a hotel or a rental, and you may be owning property in NJ, so I do not see any reason why you should not apply from NJ. Also you wife will be able to pick up your USCIS correspondance regarding your application.

If however you move to Chicago permanently with your wife, you should apply from Illinois

Answers above.

You dont have to worry if u work or not .. i My self Never never worked after the 2005 and got my citizenship last month .. so u have it 4 years with no job . Reason ididt work after 2005 that i coudt find good Job to fit my Desire and i ahd to travel many times , plus my wife makes Good Money for both .. so why i am sayin all this , i Guess just Boring .. :)

You dont have to worry if u work or not .. i My self Never never worked after the 2005 and got my citizenship last month .. so u have it 4 years with no job . Reason ididt work after 2005 that i coudt find good Job to fit my Desire and i ahd to travel many times , plus my wife makes Good Money for both .. so why i am sayin all this , i Guess just Boring .. :)

Belated thanks to prithis and onasre. I mailed my application on the 6th and I'm now scheduled for FP on 10th July in Elizabeth, NJ.

I had a few follow-up questions further to what I asked before.

1. I will be staying in a hotel in Chicago starting from 05/07/09. Our HR department at work has asked me to provide a Chicago based address to change in W2 for tax purposes to avoid double-taxation in NJ and IL. I am planning to give them my friend's address in Chicago since my hotel address will likely not be acceptable. Does this mean that I need to request the IO during interview to correct the information in my original N400 for part 6-A and 6-B (information about residence and employment)?

2. I have entered the "From" and "To" dates for past residences to the best of what I remembered. I was quite sure about the month and the year but I might be off on the exact day as in some cases I had lost the lease agreements for the rentals I used to live 3 - 4 years ago. Do these dates need to be exact? How would the IO cross-reference that to find out it is not?

-----------New Jersey---------
06/06/2009 - Mailed N-400 to USCIS Lockbox, Lewiston, TX
06/08/2009 - Priority Date
06/08/2009 - USCIS Recived the Form
06/11/2009 - Check was Cashed
06/15/2009 - Notice Of Action Received
06/22/2009 - FP Notice Received
07/10/2009 - FP Scheduled...waiting

Last edited by a moderator: