Immunization question

GS28

Registered Users (C)
Hey folks:

Had a question about immunizations: I've checked with my family in India: they can find no record of any immunizations that I had as a child. I know that when I started school in the US I had the MMR shot done, and I'll try and dig up a copy of that. For the rest from the list below, should I just wait till the medical exam in India? Or is it advisable to get some of these (all if possible) done before hand in the US? I'm not sure I find the idea of getting 9 different shots on one day in Mumbai that appetizing ... your thoughts would be most valuable.

(The following is from Immihelp.com)

Along with the physical exam, immunizations(vaccinations) in accordance with the Center for Disease Control are also required. Panel physicians who conduct medical examinations of immigrant visa applicants are now required to verify that immigrant visa applicants have met the new vaccination requirement, or that it is medically inappropriate for the visa applicant to receive one or more of the listed vaccinations:

measles, mumps, rubella (MMR)
polio
tetanus and diphtheria toxoids(DPT)
pertussis
influenza type b (Hib)
influenza
hepatitis B
varicella
pneumococcal

To avoid any delays, you should have their vaccination records available for the panel physician's review at the time of the immigrant medical examination. Visa applicants should consult with their regular health care provider to obtain a copy of their immunization record, if one is available. If you do not have a vaccination record, the panel physician will work with you to determine which vaccinations you may need to meet the requirement. Certain waivers of the vaccination requirement are available upon the recommendation of the panel physician.

A lot of the shots are age related. You only need the ones for your age group. Me and my husband had them done the same day from our regular doctor. For the Varicella or (Chicken Pox) have them draw for an antibody titer if you have had the disease. This will prove you have had the disease in the past and no shot is necessary. My husband also got the Hepatitis B shots even though they were not required for his age group. Heres a chart of whats needed by age. Make sure your Civil Surgeon fills out the I-693 supplement also. This is where they will list all vaccines.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dq/pdf/ti-03/tbl1-cs-clrd.pdf
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dq/pdf/ti-03/appdx-a_693vacc.pdf

For CP as well?

Grunggy:

Thanks so much! Those forms are helpful -- does this apply to Consular Processing as well as AOS? Thanks!

Do not worry about medical records and do not get any shots here in US, they will cost you more. In India all hospital will do is give you a MMR shot, take blood sample, chest X-rays and physical exam. Unless you have had history of communicable illness you have nothing to worry about.
All the hospitals in Mumbai will issue your medical report in one day, I got mine done at Breach Candy. If a female is accompaning you please keep a cushion of a week between medical exam and interview date.

Ram_Frm_RIC said:
Do not worry about medical records and do not get any shots here in US, they will cost you more. In India all hospital will do is give you a MMR shot, take blood sample, chest X-rays and physical exam. Unless you have had history of communicable illness you have nothing to worry about.
All the hospitals in Mumbai will issue your medical report in one day, I got mine done at Breach Candy. If a female is accompaning you please keep a cushion of a week between medical exam and interview date.

Thanks Ram and grunggy -- that's helpful! I had chicken-pox as a chid (how can anyone forget that!) ... no other communicable illnesses. Thanks again!

GS28,

If you are so much worried about shots, just go to Hinduja in Mumbai.

My exp. was that they just gave me and my wife the a shot for MMR. Did not have any childhood imm. records. Though I have had a MMR 10 yrs. back they administered it again. NO OTHER SHOTS.