• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Immigration Reform will affect DV lottery or not ?

Bongthom

Registered Users (C)
What will happen with DV Lottery if US government does a Immigration Reform?
Share your opinion here . . .

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello, everyone! Who said that US wants reform something? Anyway, I belive that economical crunch may make differencies in immigration policy! I hope it will not affect Green Card program!
Cheers

Immigration reform is a very difficult subject to deal with, even for a popular Preident like Messrs Obama. But when they finally do pass a comprehensive immigration reform bill, I am convinced that the Diversity Visa program will be scrapped.

I am willing to bet money on that.

Immigration reform is a very difficult subject to deal with, even for a popular Preident like Messrs Obama. But when they finally do pass a comprehensive immigration reform bill, I am convinced that the Diversity Visa program will be scrapped.

I am willing to bet money on that.

Why are you so sure about that? In my opinion, it will be many many years before the U.S scraped this program and replace it with another similar program. Unless the DV program cause national security problem to the U.S, I don't think they will do anything to it. The U.S Government concern more about protecting the border rather than limiting immigrants that want to come to the country to help build America. You will never hear in the news anything bad about the DV program because there actually not many people coming to the U.S under this program and there are little issue with it.

The problem with the immigration reform is that until this day, there isn't any real solution to the immigration problem itself. Like Darkhorse said, it is a very difficult subject. If you notice, President Obama almost never mention anything about a new immigration policy. It's because he doesn't have the solution to it. It is such a bipartisan issue and that's what he's trying to avoid right now. In my opinion, immigration reform will not happen while he's in the office.

Why are you so sure about that? In my opinion, it will be many many years before the U.S scraped this program and replace it with another similar program. Unless the DV program cause national security problem to the U.S, I don't think they will do anything to it. The U.S Government concern more about protecting the border rather than limiting immigrants that want to come to the country to help build America. You will never hear in the news anything bad about the DV program because there actually not many people coming to the U.S under this program and there are little issue with it.

The problem with the immigration reform is that until this day, there isn't any real solution to the immigration problem itself. Like Darkhorse said, it is a very difficult subject. If you notice, President Obama almost never mention anything about a new immigration policy. It's because he doesn't have the solution to it. It is such a bipartisan issue and that's what he's trying to avoid right now. In my opinion, immigration reform will not happen while he's in the office.

Do you wanna bet. Any Immigration Reform Bill that comes to the table this or next year will eliminate DV lotterry. Remember it was to be cut IMMEDIATELY in the last bill to give those numbers to clear family based greencards applications. It will not be different this time around. A bill will come this year. Congress is under presssure with marches planned over the country for May, for them to overhaul the system.

Do you wanna bet. Any Immigration Reform Bill that comes to the table this or next year will eliminate DV lotterry. Remember it was to be cut IMMEDIATELY in the last bill to give those numbers to clear family based greencards applications. It will not be different this time around. A bill will come this year. Congress is under presssure with marches planned over the country for May, for them to overhaul the system.

Can you tell us which bill regarding elminate DV?

However, H.R.264 suggest increase DV!

Can you tell us which bill regarding elminate DV?

However, H.R.264 suggest increase DV!

Indeed !
It is proposing to double it.
Please check thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c111:H.R.264:

TITLE X--DIVERSITY VISAS

SEC. 1001. INCREASE IN WORLDWIDE LEVEL OF DIVERSITY IMMIGRANTS.

Section 201(e) (8 U.S.C. 1151(e)) is amended by striking `55,000' and inserting `110,000'.

The possible doubling number can't exist. I doubt they will eliminate this program this year. I bet ! I saw the article of reform but I forgot about sources. I will post here when I find out.

The possible doubling number can't exist. I doubt they will eliminate this program this year. I bet ! I saw the article of reform but I forgot about sources. I will post here when I find out.

You mean come from Obama cabinet or congress and which party? Thank you!

What do you mean it can't exist ?

There is legislation introduced in the House of Representatives and here is the link to the Library of Congress website :
thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c111:H.R.264:
Read TITLE X--DIVERSITY VISAS, then compare it to the sources to which you are referring.

Check the following Immigration Bills:
H.R.2764, H.R.1430 , H.R.3064 , H.R.3371, H.R.4065
Most of the bills intend to eliminate DV program. See it yourself . . .

Check the following Immigration Bills:
H.R.2764, H.R.1430 , H.R.3064 , H.R.3371, H.R.4065
Most of the bills intend to eliminate DV program. See it yourself . . .

I checked GovTrack.us:
For the 110th congress, only 2764 became law but it does not make any references to Diversity Visa (govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=h110-2764).
1430,3064,3371 and 4065 did not become law.

For the 111th congress, 1430 is about Medicare and govtrack.us did not find H.R.2764, H.R.3064 , H.R.3371, H.R.4065.

Looks like you are referring to bills from the previous congress.

H.R. 264, on the other hand, is in the first step in the legislative process and it proposes to double the Diversity Visas. Here is another link for you to read this bill : govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=h111-264

I'm not into laws but I tried to understand what it said. Is this document a law or is just a proposal? Do you know when could this document become law?

I tried to understand what they say in "SEC. 101. INCREASING THE ALLOCATION OF FAMILY-BASED IMMIGRANT VISAS.":

"Worldwide Level of Family-Sponsored Immigrants- The worldwide level of family-sponsored immigrants under this subsection for a fiscal year shall be no more than 960,000.'."

Does it mean that it will be easier (not to wait for 5/6 yrs) or harder for a permanent resident to sponsor his wife (in case they weren't married before he won the lottery?).

THANKS

What will happen with DV Lottery if US government does a Immigration Reform?
Share your opinion here . . .

The Immigration Reform had been in "process" for the past few years,
and it is not done yet,...
and I think it will still take years, especially when the Congress/Senate are concentrating on the "economic" problem more then other issue.

Beside, the immigration reform proposal kept changing, so until we knew it pass the congress/senate, we can ignore them.

It seems that only H.R.264 now, but I think President Obama should introduce immigration reform bill this year, but it may or may not amend the DV.

Anyway, if anyone know the news about it, please tell us as soon as possible, thank you!

H.R.2305 was introduced, and the bill written that short title is "SAFE for America Act", "Security and Fairness Enhancement for America Act of 2009", it may same as Obama's immigration bill

H.R. 2305, The SAFE for America Act
H.R. 2305 would amend the Immigration and Nationality Act to eliminate the diversity immigrant program.

Status of the Legislation (Bill)
Latest Major Action: 5/7/2009: Referred to House committee. Status: Referred to the House Committee on the Judiciary.