Immigration options for my widower father in India

DKara

I am a naturalized U.S. citizen. My mother recently passed away and my father who is in his 80s is alone in India and unable to live by himself. What immigration options are available for me to bring him to the U.S. and how soon can it be done? Thank you.

Unfortunately, this will not be a quick process. You file an I-130 for your Dad, he waits back in India until it get's approved, his priority date becomes current, attends visa interview and if successful he gets to migrate to the US.

The two main waiting periods are:
- processing time wait for petition to be approved (historically this has been 8-12 months for IR, some people this year are reporting much faster)
- wait for interview to be scheduled, once approved and fees paid/documents submitted. This is very dependent on the embassy he will interview at. I think the wait has generally been a few months in India, but the combination of COVID shutdowns and the current ban on parent visas under the presidential proclamation (ban is currently till year end) likely mean a significant backlog has built up.

So it‘s not going to be quick.