Immigration Issue Mentioned on Headline News today

jaymehra11

Registered Users (C)
a friend mention that the CNN headline news had immigration issue mentioned on today's news.

The news mentioned about the huge backlogs of the case.
and also that john ashcroft has asked to INS to clear 56000 cases by March.
The news also mentioned that immigration denial have gone up to 86% from 56% earlier.

--Can some one confirm the above story.

I think that bit of news was about BIA( board of immigration appeals ). For some reason DOJ wants the backlog of pending appeals cleared up ASAP before major DHS reorg takes place.
I recall that AILA was understandably upset about this, speculating that forcing such an intesive "purge" would result in rushed and wrong decisions in certain cases. Duh. :(
Unfortunately, it appears that immigration benefits backlog has a very low priority on the administration agenda.

Yes it is true

I heard the same news few minutes after I read this post. It came on CNN headline news. But I did not understand if they meant this to be 485 approvals. It was not very clear. They just mentioned immigration backlog. There was a mention about 56% to 86% increase in backlog I guess, not denials. In any case watch out on cnn.com

In August, the board made summary judgments in more than half of its cases, compared to 9 percent in February. The percentage of deportations rose as well: the board rejected 86 percent of its appeals in October, compared with 59 percent a year earlier, the Times said.

<-- I think they mean a different percentage. Either way, I am glad this backlog is getting some attention atleast. 56,000 cases by march?? Considering the over 1 million pending 485's @ CSC .. 56,000 is nothing.

This is an Appeal issue only though

It is worth noting that the latest media coverage is on the Appeals process. The 56000 applications that need to be cleared by March end are for those who have been rejected by the normal, wonderfully efficient (delete where appropriate), process. The Board are having to decide the fate of people (who are claiming death or torture if they are forceably returned home) within minutes in order to achieve the deadline.

While this is a rather disturbing for those in question, the mandate from Mr Ashcroft doesn't seem to be effecting the I485 process - just hope you don't get rejected and have to appeal!

Good luck for us all - I think we might just need it.