• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Immigration Entry Points (Poft of Entry)

softcode1222

Registered Users (C)
Any one have idea of Immigration Entry Point (port of entry) for DV lottery migrants. Is there any predefine entry point for it?

It is my understanding that the POE can be any American POE, including Hawaii.

Q

Some flight are not directly going to the last destination of yours, I meant having stop-over before getting to the last destination. Would the first landing in US be the POE? OR the last destination which one booked from the home country?

Please more explanation are needed on POE.

Thanks.

Port Of Entry

Some flight are not directly going to the last destination of yours, I meant having stop-over before getting to the last destination. Would the first landing in US be the POE? OR the last destination which one booked from the home country?

Please more explanation are needed on POE.

Thanks.
I may be wrong but I read some other forum which said Your Port Of Entry will be your first destination of entry in the U.S. This is where you have to clear with Customs and Border
Protection agents or Immigration.
For Example if ur flying to Boston from your country, there may not be direct flights to Boston so you have to fly through New York or Washington and these will be your Ports of Entry.

Depending upon the volume of traffic at
the port of entry on that day, the process of activating your Green Card may take several hours.
Therefore, if the port of entry is not your
final destination, make sure to book your
air tickets with a sufficient gap for your
domestic flight.
Note: U will not have to clear with Customs and Border Protection
agents again in Boston once you have already done that at the first port of entry in New York/ Washington

Last edited by a moderator:
I may be wrong but I read some other forum which said Your Port Of Entry will be your first destination of entry in the U.S. This is where you have to clear with Customs and Border
Protection agents or Immigration.
For Example if ur flying to Boston from your country, there may not be direct flights to Boston so you have to fly through New York or Washington and these will be your Ports of Entry.

Depending upon the volume of traffic at
the port of entry on that day, the process of activating your Green Card may take several hours.
Therefore, if the port of entry is not your
final destination, make sure to book your
air tickets with a sufficient gap for your
domestic flight.
Note: U will not have to clear with Customs and Border Protection
agents again in Boston once you have already done that at the first port of entry in New York/ Washington

My question is if you want to change the address you provided on the DS230 form after the VISA is issued what is the process Do you still maintain the old address and change it after visa activation through form AR-11 and what is the wait period is it after receipt of the cards ie Social Security Cards / Green cards or .....

My question is if you want to change the address you provided on the DS230 form after the VISA is issued what is the process Do you still maintain the old address and change it after visa activation through form AR-11 and what is the wait period is it after receipt of the cards ie Social Security Cards / Green cards or .....

I know somebody who showed up at a different port of entry, than the one specified on DS230. He needed to explain the reason for changing. Even though he changed his address (I guess AR11), his GC and some other docs were sent to the initial address.
Be prepared.
Verdite, is right. The 1st airport you land in the US is your port of entry, even if it's not your final destination. Leave plenty of time between flights. Better safe than sorry.

Good luck.

I can not find from DS-230 where POE is requested.

Number 42 of DS-230 only asked if one have ever been refused admission to the United States at a port-of-entry.

Meanwhile, has any immigrant filled his/her POE in any document before traveling to States and when is immigration officer would ask of POE?

I can not find from DS-230 where POE is requested.

Number 42 of DS-230 only asked if one have ever been refused admission to the United States at a port-of-entry.

Meanwhile, has any immigrant filled his/her POE in any document before traveling to States and when is immigration officer would ask of POE?

What we are discussing is the address re item 10 and 11 that point to the POE .my question is still not answered ie I want to change the item nos 10 and 11 after the visa issued and want to understand the process on how to effect the changes

Idear of Poft Of Entry

Dear All

I am flying from Colombo,Sri Lanka ---> Abudabi,UAE ---> Chicago,USA ---> Port Columbus International Air Port, USA

my final destination is Columbus,USA. There is a transit only at Chicago,USA

What will be my Port Of Entry to USA? please advice.

Dear All

I am flying from Colombo,Sri Lanka ---> Abudabi,UAE ---> Chicago,USA ---> Port Columbus International Air Port, USA

Your Port Of Entry is Chicago because that's the first airport in U.S.A you land at. Therefore you clear with Customs at Chicago even though you will proceed to Columbus, Ohio

Dear All

A Port of Entry is any designated place at which a CBP officer is authorized to accept entries of merchandise to collect duties, and to enforce the various provisions of the customs and navigation laws (19 CFR 101.1).
http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/ports/

The first such place you 'hit' while entering US is your PoE!
For you it is Chicago.
At such a place you need to gather all your luggage to go through customs and then only allowed to check in for your next leg within US.

When you get to Chicago (or any PoE), look for the line 'fist time entries with a GC'. (NOT the line for 'Citizens or GC holders')
There you will get to a CBP officer for initial 'registration'. (give them that 'sealed' envelop!)
Next you will go through USCIS officers. (at these 2 places things are routine and you'll know what is going on. It will be be quick, for families it would take a tad long. But at times there may be 'extended' delays and you will get to your luggage bit late. Be patient, nothing much you can do. In my exp. the Mid E airlines 'crew' at some PoEs do a good job in taking care of your luggage till you clear imm. and ready to get to customs)

Next you will collect your luggage and go through customs inspection. (fill the customs form while in the aircraft before landing, don't get or fill i-94)
Next go looking for the airline counter to check in your luggage to the next leg of your trip in US.

There may be slight variations at each PoE for GC holders, but that is the general routine.
Hope that helps.

Best!

@NuvF, that is really brilliant. U have explained it very well and I'm sure that clears many peoples questions regarding the Port of Entry.

Well done

Point of entry is where you deal with the immigration process. It can be a US airport, a seaport a bridge or intercountry control point along the US/Mexican or US/Canadian borders. Rarely it happens before boarding the plane to the US known as preclearence ports ( notably airports in Canada and Dublin) It is at this point you are either granted entry to the US or turned away. Here is a video of the process http://www.dhs.gov/files/programs/editorial_0525.shtm