Immigration Bill :What about Legal Immigrants and RETROGRESSION !

BrainDrain

Registered Users (C)
In this ongoing debate as I hear on the media/news the whole focus seems to be on illegal immigrants and their issues. Has anyone heard as to what about the retrogression mess that we the legal and law abiding people are facing ?

Any updates or positives on that front ?

Being a Mexican myself is hard to say this but the government and pro-immigration groups focusing mostly on illegal immigration is a complete lack of respect for all of us who have been waiting for years to get our EMPLOYMENT BASED GC cases adjudicated.

There is a battle between Capitol Hill and the Pro Illegal Immigration groups and we are standing still right in the middle of it receiving all the heavy shelling.

I honestly do not blame illegal immigrants, some of them are people who are comming to the US after loosing everything back in their countries, however some others are here only to take advantage of the benefits this country's system can offer.

If they get any sort of amnesty good for them! as long as this does not add 5 more years of waiting to my application or reduce the available number of visas for my category.

Well one thing I heard from Bush is that the illegals will be behind people already waiting in the queue. I hope that will be in effect to mean what it is suposed to.

ecuellaro said:
Being a Mexican myself is hard to say this but the government and pro-immigration groups focusing mostly on illegal immigration is a complete lack of respect for all of us who have been waiting for years to get our EMPLOYMENT BASED GC cases adjudicated.

There is a battle between Capitol Hill and the Pro Illegal Immigration groups and we are standing still right in the middle of it receiving all the heavy shelling.

I honestly do not blame illegal immigrants, some of them are people who are comming to the US after loosing everything back in their countries, however some others are here only to take advantage of the benefits this country's system can offer.

If they get any sort of amnesty good for them! as long as this does not add 5 more years of waiting to my application or reduce the available number of visas for my category.

I TRULY hope that will be the case, however it won't surprise me that if they get a path to obtain permanent residence and after they find how CIS plays its cards with adjustment applications all the sudden they'll jump back in the streets this time to demand that the waiting times for THEIR cases be reduced to a few months.

Is this correct

there is a proposal that H2A visa holders can apply for a GC by themselves?

Because this a Country for Illegal Immigrants

It is not a country for legal Immigrants like us any more

:mad:

BrainDrain said:
In this ongoing debate as I hear on the media/news the whole focus seems to be on illegal immigrants and their issues. Has anyone heard as to what about the retrogression mess that we the legal and law abiding people are facing ?

Any updates or positives on that front ?

Immigration bill being hijacked ...

ecuellaro said:
I TRULY hope that will be the case, however it won't surprise me that if they get a path to obtain permanent residence and after they find how CIS plays its cards with adjustment applications all the sudden they'll jump back in the streets this time to demand that the waiting times for THEIR cases be reduced to a few months.

Guys and Gals,

I had feared that the immigration reform bill would get hijacked by "ILLEGAL ALIENS" and this is exactly what is happening. No one is saying a word about legal immigrants who have followed all the laws and are being punished by these ridiculous visa shortages. Like it or not, everyone in the US is concerned about illegal immigrants because they are not paying taxes and are using resources. One side wants to make them legal so they can start paying taxes while the other side wants them to leave. That is what the debate has been reduced to. With such strong reactions to this bill and such a deep divide between the House and the Senate I do not believe anything is going to come out of it.

Its funny how legal immigrants that have a more legitimate case against Congress, DOS and USCIS sit on the side lines while people who have blantantly broken the law come out in thousands "DEMANDING" fair treatment. I guess it makes sense at some level. If you are illegal, then you have nothing to lose. You have already broken the law, there is very little fear of doing something wrong and jeopardizing the GC process. We legals on the other hand live in this contant fear of being on the right side of law. We take care not work illegally, we make sure to pay all our taxes, we do everything possible to keep our jobs. We do everything for this damn GC. What a contrast between legals and illegals ... being legal has turned us into a bunch of scared fools ...

regards,

saras76

Last edited by a moderator:
Why don't they pass bill for just leagal immigrants to eleminate retro.

later let them fight for illeagal guys.

There are reasons for that ...

baby_mde said:
Why don't they pass bill for just leagal immigrants to eleminate retro.

later let them fight for illeagal guys.

baby_made,

This is the logical solution ... however, what is the incentive? Why would Congress want to give GCs to people that are largely law abiding, are paying social security and Medicare taxes without having the right to use the benefits, are working for less and are not eligible for any benefits. Corporations like it this way and hence Congress likes it this way. There is no instant advantage in giving us our GCs. Infact it is in their interest to delay the process as much as possible so more taxes can be collected over larger periods of time and the likelihood of thousands of us abandoning the process through job loss, relocation or other such reasons increases. It all fits in nicely if you think about it. Infact its a brilliant startegy.

Giving illegals GCs holds instant advantages. There is potential political gain, there is the prospect of increasing the tax base by bringing people out of the woodwork and the whole illegal immigration issue plays well with the "National Security" buzz word.

So you can forget about legal immigration getting any priority. Our only hope is to tag along with illegal immigration reform and hope for the best ..

regards,

saras76

If the priority date is CURRENT most of us would not even worry about this bill. That is the sad truth. I believe in playing by the rules, but the main culprit is the immigration system itself. They never followed a FIFO fair approach. It was broke. Atleast we have jobs and earn money to live a luxurious life when compared to illegals. They have to live in the shadows of the society and mis-treated by the employers. (You should have seen the faces of immigrants who wait in the corners of chicago streets in snow waiting for the contractors to be picked up to work for 6 dollars an hour, so that they can send some money home) Some state laws are so horrible that they move in to immigration friendly state. They cook and do all the menial jobs for the Americans. If this was pre 911 we would not be even talking about this. It is the neo-conservatives who are anti-immigrant under the pre-tense of homeland security want to get rid of illegals. This is how the politics work. Sad but true.
By no means Iam supporting illegal immigration, but when America screws other countries to enrich their citizens, I dont see illegal immigration is going to stop.

saras76 said:
there is the prospect of increasing the tax base by bringing people out of the woodwork and the whole illegal immigration issue plays well with regards,

actually about 85% of illegal immigrant would never owe any taxes under current tax law, they'll only recieve benefits...

True ...

nyte_crawler said:
If the priority date is CURRENT most of us would not even worry about this bill. That is the sad truth. I believe in playing by the rules, but the main culprit is the immigration system itself. They never followed a FIFO fair approach. It was broke. Atleast we have jobs and earn money to live a luxurious life when compared to illegals. They have to live in the shadows of the society and mis-treated by the employers. (You should have seen the faces of immigrants who wait in the corners of chicago streets in snow waiting for the contractors to be picked up to work for 6 dollars an hour, so that they can send some money home) Some state laws are so horrible that they move in to immigration friendly state. They cook and do all the menial jobs for the Americans. If this was pre 911 we would not be even talking about this. It is the neo-conservatives who are anti-immigrant under the pre-tense of homeland security want to get rid of illegals. This is how the politics work. Sad but true.
By no means Iam supporting illegal immigration, but when America screws other countries to enrich their citizens, I dont see illegal immigration is going to stop.

nyte_crawler,

I totally agree that the fault lies squarely on this broken immigration system. Laws are passed without proper planning and a system that is already broken gets worse instead of better. Granting psuedo amnesty through 245i without any plan for an increase in visa numbers is a shining example of foolish laws implemented in totally insane ways. There is no accountability, there is no transparency, there is no fairness ....

I have nothing against illegal immigrants. They are leading a difficult life and deserve humane treatment. I am all for logical and humane laws. I am against stupid laws that affect both legals and illegals. In the end it is just to much to expect Congress to look at this issue in a non biased, non politicized way. Any bill that is passed this year will be based purely on political motives keeping in mind the Mid year elections in Nov 06 and the Presidential elections in 08. We just have to hope that whatever stupid law gets passed, we somehow get lucky and end up on the positive side of it ...

saras76

At present I am a legal immigrant. I have H1B extended and I-140 approved. I am waiting to file for I-485, which I might be able to file and have approved when my grandchild retires.

Anyway the point is that if I cancel my H1B and I-140 through my employer, and start living illegally, would I be able to file for citizenship according to the current bill supposed to be passed? :mad:

LC_Ki_Kahaani said:
At present I am a legal immigrant. I have H1B extended and I-140 approved. I am waiting to file for I-485, which I might be able to file and have approved when my grandchild retires.

Anyway the point is that if I cancel my H1B and I-140 through my employer, and start living illegally, would I be able to file for citizenship according to the current bill supposed to be passed? :mad:

The point is if you become illegal, it will be much worse than being legal. I dont think anybody is talking about granting legalization right away, they are going to take years and we are talking abou defunct USCIS.

Dont believe all you hear

BrainDrain said:
Well one thing I heard from Bush is that the illegals will be behind people already waiting in the queue. I hope that will be in effect to mean what it is suposed to.

Let say hypothetically for a second that we believed the lawmakers that none of the illegals will get a greencard before those in line.

Do you trust USCIS to implement that fairly? They cannot even get FIFO right with the legal immigrants. I know people who applied in 2004 with green cards and other people waiting since 2000.

Don't buy this BS coming from them. They know what fair minded americans want to hear and they are feeding them that. We the victims should know better.

LEGAL vs. ILLEGAL

When the people of US and Senate understand to distinguish between LEGAL immigration issues and delayes vs. ILLEGAL problems ? They have to speak and make laws separately. If they club together to jeopardize LEGAL IMMIGRATION. Members of Senate knowingly or unknowingly punishing LEGAL IMMIGRANTS instead of rewarding. And they are not helping people to understand the difference either. Watch all TV Channels and news stories, they are all confused and not to say about common people.

politicians only look at the election. !!

What do they get by grating GC for us when they don;t get any benefits from us ? They are trying to do somthing (mess) for illeagals so that they get their vote for the next election. They don't care about the USCIS mess. That is another mess. Look at the new law passed to change the filing place for I-485. This is going to create another backlog center. Dmn politics.... Hate to say. american system sucks.... :mad:

legal h1b rally

why do not we have a small rally in the capitol. This is a hot topic, press will be real happy to cover this. We will go long way.... to get our voice heard.