Immigrant Visa IV Cat IR5 - Temporary I-551

Veena72

Hello Everyone ..... Firstly I want to congratulate ImmigrationPortal Forums team for keeping up this awesome forum.

I would appreciate if anyone adept in immigration laws help me with this ... I am a US Citizen, I had applied for my parents immigration a year back and after passing through all the formalities my application got approved last Dec, my parents had their interview in Jan 2006 this year at US embassy, after the interview they were asked to take a oath and finger prints etc at embassy itself, Embassy also cancelled without perjudice their previous 10 year Visitor visa(Non-Immigrant) and instead stamped another Visa which prints

Immigrant Visa IV Category IR5 "Upon Endorsement Serves as Temporary I-551" and "Evidencing a permanent resident for 1 year", It also says that this Visa is Valid till July 2006, also my parents got a packet which they are required to accompany as sealed.

1) I want to know that what does this stamp implies? What is temporary I-551 and why is it only valid till July 2006? , I will appreciate if you can help me understand this visa stamp on their passports. Does it implies just an entry permit under immigration category or is it a green card in itself, if it is a GC, is it a permanent or a conditional as on stamp it says “Upon Endorsement Serves as Temporary I-551” it also says “Evidencing a permanent residence for one year”

2) When my parents arrive here in US what are we suppose to do to remove this 1 year condition or to get them a permanent green card without any conditions and how many days will it take? Also how much time it takes to get a Driving licence and work permit etc?

3) Is there any minimum stay requirement here in US here before they can go back to India without loosing their GC status? My parents might just want to come here for a month or two in the begining either in June or before so that they do not loose their green card status and later come back again after a year-is this permissable? Also can they request for a extension of visa validity which expires june 2006 if required? (Sorry but there is some emergency which might require them to go back after a month.)

4) My father is a senior Citizen above 65 years is he entitled to any medical benifits? How can I get my mother her work permit?

5) If they want to come and buy a home here for themselves how can they bring money here is it legal to bring money to US and make a investment for themselves like buying a home or a buying a business and is there any limit upto which one can bring?

I appreciate and thanks in advance for replying to my queries.

Sincerely

Veena.

Last edited by a moderator:
1) I want to know that what does this stamp implies? What is temporary I-551 and why is it only valid till July 2006? Does it implies just an entry permit under immigration category or is it a green card in itself, if it is a GC is it a permanent or a conditional as on stamp it says “Upon Endorsement Serves as Temporary I-551” it also says “Evidencing a permanent residence for one year”

Your parents have 6months to enter US after they get the stamp I-551. Hence the July 06 expiration. It is as good as GC until they get the card or for one year from its issuance.

2) When my parents arrive here in US what are we suppose to do to remove this 1 year condition or to get them a permanent green card without any conditions and how many days will it take? Also how much time it takes to get a Driving licence and work permit etc?

You don't have to do anything. At the POE when ur parents hand over the sealed envelop to the authorities, it triggers the next step of send the GC to the address on file.

3) Is there any minimum stay requirement here in US here before they can go back to India without loosing their GC status? My parents might just want to come here for a month or two in the begining either in June or before so that they do not loose their green card status and later come back again after a year is this permissable? Also can they request for a extension of visa validity which expires june 2006 if required? (Sorry but there is some emergency which might require them to go back after a month.)

They can always go back whenever they want. Preferable is after they get the actual card. You do not have to apply for any extension. Usually the LPR status is valid for life or beneficiary becomes a citizen or forfeits it. But the actual card expires after 10yrs. You don't have to worry about extension or renewal right now.

It's always safe to apply for re-entry permit if they want to leave US for more than a year. Less than six months is always safe to play by the LPR rules.

4) My father is a senior Citizen above 65 years is he entitled to any medical benifits? How can I get my mother her work permit?

Your mother's GC is her work permit. Firstly, after they land here you need to apply for their SSN. Once she has her SSN, she's all set. Coming to father's case, I can't comment on that. Both my parents are working so I have very limited knowledge about "what if".

5) If they want to come and buy a home here for themselves how can they bring money here is it legal to bring money to US and make a investment for themselves like buying a home or a buying a business and is there any limit upto which one can bring?

Again, limited knowledge.

There is no limit on the total amount of monetary instruments which may be brought in to or taken out of the United States, nor is it illegal to do so. However, if you transport or cause to be transported (including by mail or other means) more than $10,000 in monetary instruments on any occasion in to or out of the United States, or if you receive more than that amount, you must file Form 4790, Report of International Transportation of Currency or Monetary Instruments with U.S. Customs (Currency & Foreign Transactions Reporting Act, 31 U.S.C. 1101, et seq.). Failure to comply can result in civil, criminal and/or forfeiture penalties. Monetary instruments include U.S. or foreign coin in current circulation, currency, travelers checks in any form, money orders, and negotiable instruments or investment securities in bearer form.

Veena,

Congratulations on GC approval for your parents. Needurhelp already answered your questions. On the issue of medical insurance/benefits, I do not have specific information. However, in another thread there is useful info and links.
http://boards.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=204339

My parents plan to go to Mumbai Consulate for their interview. Could you please share the following info?
1. Which svc center did you file I-130 with? How long did it take for approval?
2. Could you please share your timeline of the process? How long did it take at NVC?
3. Which consulate in India did they go to for interview? How long did it take the consulate to schedule interview after the file was transfeered from NVC?
4. After interview, did they have to wait till background, name, fingerprint checks were completed? Or did they receive approval right after interview?

Thanks.

Hi, everyone i finish my IV interview ( IR-5 ) & i get my wife visa package. but i am still waiting to finish my AP. my 60 days is finished last week. i don't know how long take more time.
some one have any idea to give me answer. or my visa time (6 month) expire alone. i am so confused.
Thanks.