Illegal with parents who are legal as well as US Citizens

LukeOppa

I do not know what to do honestly, and the fact that my parents aren't even thinking of doing something about this really just puts me at a state of disgust.

I was brought here from the Caribbean French Islands at the age of 5, of course through no fault of my own. I attended school like any other kid did and played by the rules.

Fast Forward 13 years and here we are.
I am 18 going possibly nuts. - .-
My parents are both legal citizens of these United States and both have professional jobs.

Here is the Dilemma, reading forums I was told that after you are 18 and stay here this becomes your fault and you are an illegal as an adult. Now if I went back to the Caribbean,

would I be thrown out of this country for possibly 5+ years because I was illegal and entered illegal through no fault of my own?

I certainly could leave, but not to be punished and not come back 10 years later, I hear that my application gets pushed back because of what happened.

Where do I start? I need advice. If I have the wrong information please enlighten me

Can a Good Lawyer, if I find one, help me sort this out?:confused:

btw, can I apply for a visa/citizen to another country being illegal?

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel compassion for you and your parents when I hear stories like this. I lived in Mexico for a couple years and truly learned to love the people.

Depending on the status of your parents at the time of your birth you could be a USC born abroad. You have not provided enough details for any truly accurate response---only speculations......

IF NOT a USC, depart the U.S. before reaching 18 yrs and 6 months (180 days) of age and the unlawful presence bar does not apply. On day 181, the 3 year bar kicks in and after reaching your 19th birthday the bar jumps to 10 years.

IF not a USC and without a bar and unmarried, either USC parent can file an I-130 for you as an Immediate Relative which affords a relatively fast Immigrant Visa. IF you initially made a LAWFUL entry and overstayed, you can file for adjustment. IF you entered without inspection, then you cannot adjust and must go abroad for consular processing to get a visa based on a parent's petition. IF you had a lawful initial entry and marry a USC, then you could adjust as a spouse of a USC. IF qualified to file for adjustment then then bars do not apply because they only kick in when you depart after reaching the minimum unlawful presence amount.