If I am on a TN visa, have filed a Green Card petition, and my EAD is approved, can I work on a second project using my EAD?

tparvaiz

Hi,

I am currently on a TN visa, and my employer has filed for my green card. My application for an EAD has been approved.

I'm curious to know if I can work on a W2 for another employer (as a secondary project) with this EAD approval.

thanks

Once you switch onto your EAD, you cannot go back to TN (your I485 is pending, right?). That said, if your EAD expires before your I485 is approved (i.e. before you get your GC), you will be able to work only if you can extend your EAD.

Once you switch onto your EAD, you cannot go back to TN (your I485 is pending, right?). That said, if your EAD expires before your I485 is approved (i.e. before you get your GC), you will be able to work only if you can extend your EAD.
do I need to inform my current employer (with whom I am currently on a TN visa, and they have filed for the green card... I am still planning to continue with them) of the fact that I will be working on a second job on the EAD?

do I need to inform my current employer (with whom I am currently on a TN visa, and they have filed for the green card... I am still planning to continue with them) of the fact that I will be working on a second job on the EAD?
If you still plan to continue with the "TN employer", you need to abandon your plan to work using your EAD. As soon as you invoke your EAD, you lose your TN status.

If you still plan to continue with the "TN employer", you need to abandon your plan to work using your EAD. As soon as you invoke your EAD, you lose your TN status.
I don't see how your second statement supports your first. Losing TN status does not mean they cannot continue to work for that employer.

I don't see how your second statement supports your first. Losing TN status does not mean they cannot continue to work for that employer.
You can be only on one status at a time - that said, as soon as the poster starts working on EAD (for a different employer), he will lose his TN status that he had for the first employer.

You can be only on one status at a time - that said, as soon as the poster starts working on EAD (for a different employer), he will lose his TN status that he had for the first employer.
Again, I do not dispute that TN status will be lost. But that does not mean they cannot continue to work for any employer. They have an EAD. They are authorized to work without restriction.

Again, I do not dispute that TN status will be lost. But that does not mean they cannot continue to work for any employer. They have an EAD. They are authorized to work without restriction.
OP's original question was if it is possible to continue his existing TN job while doing another secondary project using EAD. Again, the question is regarding preserving TN while seeking another work status (EAD) - the answer to which is "NO". The question was not whether the EAD can be used or not.

...But if the same EAD can be used for multiple employers, then keeping the original job in addition to the secondary project is possible using that EAD. @tparvaiz, explore this possibility.

Working on multiple jobs with the same status is possible -in your case that status will be EAD.
If your EAD is valid for long time (longer than the time remaining on your TN), then it is worth being on the EAD. If you do, you need to notify your "GC employer" so that they update their record.

thanks for clarification

Just to recap

1. If I start the second job on EAD, my understanding is that I need to convert my employment status with my current company from TN to EAD. is this a big deal for the company?

2. Will this cause any issues or concerns with USCIS finalizing my green card? what else do I need to be careful of while on EAD employment?

thanks again

thanks for clarification

Just to recap

1. If I start the second job on EAD, my understanding is that I need to convert my employment status with my current company from TN to EAD. is this a big deal for the company?
- Yes, your understanding is correct and it is not a big deal for the company to update their records. Before you do that, talk to your corporate attorneys as well to keep them in the loop.

2. Will this cause any issues or concerns with USCIS finalizing my green card? what else do I need to be careful of while on EAD employment?
- No issues for the GC processing - you are just switching from TN to EAD. And make sure that your EAD expiry is "distant" enough to let you keep working until you get your GC.

Thanks again for your assistance...

one more question I have... in a different forum I was informed that I can work part time on EAD for the other employer. can you please confirm

Thanks again for your assistance...

one more question I have... in a different forum I was informed that I can work part time on EAD for the other employer. can you please confirm
- Yes, EAD allows you to work for multiple employers.

does it have to be part time? that was the question. thanks
If your "secondary job" is ALSO full time, then that could be viewed as unfair to your GC sponsor which in turn could your jeopardize your relationship (and also GC) with your sponsor.

I don't believe it's necessary to disclose my part-time or full-time status (of secondary job) to my sponsor attorney. Instead, I plan to inquire if there is an option to work a second job with an EAD. If this is possible, I will ask them to convert my current employment from a TN visa to an EAD, enabling me to take on additional job/projects. What do you think?