If GC is rejected at Consulate for some reason ?

Hi,

What would happen if Green Card is rejected for some reason at a consulate in India.

- Can I come back to US and continue work till H1 expires.

- Can I switch back to I-485 and continue the process.

I will appreciate if someone can clarify on these issues.
Thanks
Srinivas

No Title

I think the only way you can come back to US in case of problems while doing CP at the consulate is they you need additional documents that are present in the US. If you applic is rejected for any other reason like fraud, you can never come back to US.

I am not sure about what happens if you get rejected during medicals.

I think it is the same case for AOS(485). If your applic gets rejected, you will have to leave the country in 10(?) days ?

Its just my understanding.

No Title

This is not a legal advice :
This posting is from www.immilaw.com, please refer that site for more information.

A possible solution to delays of over one and a half years is to avoid Adjustment of Status (I-485) and instead process the
application for permanent residence ("green card") status through the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in the applicant’s home
country or another country where he or she has resided for at least three months ("consular processing"). Most U.S.
Embassies and Consulates are able to process the application in less than a year. For consular processing in India, Please
see our Jan/Feb 2000 Newsletter.
      However, there may be several drawbacks to this approach, including the following:
      An applicant must choose between adjustment of status (I-485) and consular processing, and cannot do both. By
      choosing consular processing, the applicant gives up the right to obtain an employment authorization document (EAD)
      while the application is pending. For that reason, we do not recommend consular processing for those with less than 18
      months left before their H-1 or L-1 visa finally expires.
      The consular processing times could also increase. If the delay at the INS persists, tens of thousands of applicants
      could seek the alternative of consular processing, creating substantial backlogs at the U.S. Embassies and Consulates
      as well.
      Except for U.S consulate in India, there could be substantial delays in transferring the approved I-140 from the INS to the
      U.S. embassy or consulate. Currently U.S. consulates in India will accept Attorney-certified copies. However U.S.
      consulates in other countries may require an additional application (I-824) to be filed with the INS to request transfer of
      the file to the National Visa Center (or "NVC") in New Hampshire. In many cases, the INS can take up to nine months or
      more to process the I-824 and to send the I-140 to the NVC. The NVC can then take another three or four months to
      process the case and send it to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate. The NVC processing time could also increase if a
      significant number of applicants choose consular processing instead of the I-485.
      An interview is required at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate and the applicant’s appearance is generally required for the
      entire day. In contrast, an interview in connection with an employment-based I-485 is rarely required.
      The applicant must travel to the consulate on short (two or three week) notice, which often requires purchasing an
      airline ticket at the highest price.
      The applicant must arrive at the city in which the U.S. Embassy or Consulate is located at least several days before the
      interview for a medical examination. The time required to be spent in that city (and away from work) may therefore be as
      much as a week or more.
      Additional documents such as home country police clearances and military service records may be required.
      If a problem arises at the interview (such as a missing document or an issue involving a prior application for a visa) the
      applicant may be stuck outside of the United States until the problem is resolved.
      If the application is denied, there is little or no right to review or appeal. In contrast, if the I-485 is denied, the applicant
      has the right to renew the application in removal proceedings, and has several options for review and appeal. Generally
      the applicant may remain in the United States with employment authorization while those proceedings are pending.
It is possible to start with consular processing, and later file an application for adjustment of status (and abandon the consular
processing). For example, a person who has a year and a half left in H-1B status may commence consular processing, but
find after a year that it is unlikely that the case will be completed in time. By filing an application for adjustment of status (I-485)
the applicant can legally remain in the United States after the H-1B status finally expires and can obtain the employment
authorization document (EAD). However, the INS will have to retrieve the approved I-140 from the U.S. Embassy or Consulate
abroad, a process that could involve substantial additional delay. It is also possible to file for Consular Processing after an
application for Adjustment of Status has been filed. In some cases, delay by the INS in sending the file to the U.S. Consulate
is eliminated if the U.S. Consulate will accept Attorney-Certified copies.

No Title

This detailed post though relatively accurate, is heavily Biased against CP. CP was an unknown Phenomenon for 140 cases until last year. The success rates are pretty high. EVERY processing posted on this forum has successfully completed CP.

There are many advantages too, for an objective analysis, please visit
www.imminfo.com and see the CP Vs AOS article.

Arif.

No Title

Srinivasa,

All depend on the grounds of refusal of your IV. Basically, the grounds for rejection in AOS and CP are the same though AOS statistically enjoys a higher rate of refusal. This is primarily because of lesser leeway to the consular officer in deciding the cases. Things like illegal employment are many times overlooked by them. But the problem with CP is that once the consular officer refuses your IV, the decision is final and not subject to appeals. Usually when you go to the consulate for the interview, they will first cancel your existing visa and then take the interview. At this time, I believe you can request them not to cancel the visa till after os that if something happens, you can use this visa. This is a standard practice as was described to me by my attorney. In the event they cancel your existing visa and deny your IV on the basis of documentation etc, the consulate will issue you another temporary visa to get that stuff. Probably the only time when the consulate will refuse you any visa and also cancel your existing ones will be if you are a wanted terrorist or have a disease like AIDS or criminal fraud. If you dont fall into any of these, dont worry with CP at all and get it done quickly. JSYK, I had filed for 485 and was getting impatient with their delays and my attorneys filed for CP (AC based) thats the time I did all this research and was set to go when my approval came out of blue. I had infact recived the date of my interview with the consulate also. :)