if Extention denied, 10 ME visitor visa get void ?

h1togc

Registered Users (C)
I am planning to extend my parents stay in us. They have 10 yr multi-entry visitor visa.

But I read on immihelp.com that if extension is denied that 10 yr ME visitor visa gets void automatically. And next time they want to come back they want be allowed to enter us..can anybody confirm that pl. ? Or anybody ran into this unfortunate scenario..

I would like to extent their stay, but would not like to jeopardize their 10 yr ME visa..as all of you know what hazzle it is to visa back home..

your input is highly appreciated..

thanks

Apply online

I don't know how much time you have left. My advice is to make the application online. I have seen many outcome known in 2 weeks. If the outcome is known before the I-94 date, they would not be out of status.

If you mail your application, it takes months to get result.

Please also read these posts. I don't believe your 10 yr Visa will get cancelled.
http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=149462

Kartheg.

Last edited by a moderator:
In similar situation, but already filed I-539, please advise

My parents are currently visiting us on B-2 visas and
I have applied for extension of their stay(form I-539)
for 3 more months on 6-Dec-05. Their current I-94
expiry date is 4-Jan-06. I have received the receipt
of the I-539 application.Since the processing time in
California service center is 90 to 120 days, I called up
USCIS customer service center and asked them the
following two questions :

1. If the visitor stays beyond the current I-94 date
while the extension application is pending decision,
is it illegal?

Answer : No, it will be legal.

2. If the application finally gets rejected and the
visitor leaves 10-20 days after the decision, will the
10 year multiple entry B-2 visas become void and will
there be any issues in entering the US using this visa in
future.

Answer : No, there should not be any issues.

I am not sure whether we should go by these answers,
as I have heard that different customer service
representatives give different answers!

Please can anyone advise.

BTW, has someone got I-539 for extension of stay approved by
California Service Center recently.

Thanks & Warm Regards

You can go by those answers! If your extension is denied and you leave with a resonable time period you will not have a problem. The question is "what is a reasonable amount if time?" As a former CBP officer, I think 2 weeks or a max of 3 weeks is reasonable.

If it's denied, call again the same number and ask how much time they will have or check the denial letter what time it states. Normally they know that the person can't leave the same day but is expect to leave within few days. (what can take longer is to change your flight tickets.)

IF the I-94 extension is pending .. can that person visit Canada if the current I-94 has already expired. (B2 visa / I-94 )

Or does the person has to continue to stay in US till decision is made.

10 YR Multiple visa

My parents case is the same. My Mom left 2 days after denial letter and my Dad left before denial letter came.

Now I am trying to bring my Mom in december. Don't know what will be the right course. I have called Calcutta office and will be talking to them on Monday if they can give some direction.

The website says you need to re-apply for visa, and I will probably go that route, just to be out of this ambiguity.

Worried

I have appplied extension for my mom on 8th May 2006 for 4 months at TSC. Her I94 expires on 7/27/06 and she has 10 years visitors visa. The reason I have mentioned is my daughter's marriage, her old age and want to show her Thanksgiving and Xmas celebration.
I know they take really long to make a decision.
Looking to the TSC processing date, it seems that I will not get any reply before her I94 expiration.
I am planning to go to Charlotte office (NC) to talk to the immigration officer. My mom is 72 years old and visiting us for 3rd time. Every alternate year she visits us.
Does anybody has this kind of experience?
Have any body applied to TSC for the extension
Thanks in advance for any comment !