If a company lays off, can it hire H-1s

Qamar

If a company had layoffs 3 yrs ago but is now hiring both internal & external, can it hire H-1s also? I'm on H-1 & got a job with one such company but have apprehension that H-1 might be the issue

thnx a lot

As far as I know they can hire H1s regardless of the layoff situation. A labor certification may be a different story.

I appreciate your reply, is there anyway to confirm that? any website?. I would really appreciate this help.

It is my understanding that a company can get in trouble if they layoff US citizens WHILE hiring H1Bs. That could be considered discriminating against workers on the basis of their citizenship status. This however doesn't seem to be your case.

If I want to be 100% sure, I would double check with a lawyer. I doubt that the employer wants to take risks, so I would also take advice from the employer's lawyer.

Not to mention that there are very few companies that did not have layoffs 3 years ago. My company had a few layoffs and it still hires H1s occasionally.
BTW, if you post your question in the appropriate forum, I'm sure you'll get better responses.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really appreciate your help. You mentioned about appropriate forum, can you please guide me how to go to that forum?

thnx again