iEAD question from a a new member..

anandsub

Registered Users (C)
Gurus,

I am new to this forum. So pardon me if this is a basic question.

My EAD expired May 5th 2003. I applied for renewal to CSC on March26th. RD is Mar.26th. ND is Mar 27th. After reading some postings on this forum, I talked to my lawyer about iEAD and he said that is not required. When they send my renewed EAD it will be from the date of current EAD expiration.

Is this true?

Please help.

thanks
Anand

Anand,

Are you working on EAD or H1, and with same employer or you have changed the job since you filed your 485 ?

If you are working on EAD and with same employer then I think you don't need to worry as per "Murthy" you are fine.

But check with your employer also if it is fine with them.

BTW when you knew that your EAD is expiring on 5th May then why didn't you filed EAD in Jan ?

Last edited by a moderator:
anandsub, perhaps your EAD will be backdated. Soon we will have people here who received renewal EAD and will know true.

anandsub,

If you answer to Vipsha's questions you can get a better answer but for the record the consenses decision is if you have been working with the same company on your current EAD then your lawyer's opinion is correct.

Again to reitirate Vipsha's question. Why wait less than 90 days to apply for renewal EAD?

Vipsha,

I am going to ask that question every post I find who has screwed up on this 90 day optimistic scenario!

thanks for your responses. I am working with the Same Employer and they are fine with me not applying for iEAD.

As far why I did not apply before, I did not know about the 90 day rule before coming to this forum. Also I changed addresses, so I was confused thinking my EAD will not be redirected to thenew address.

I feel better now that I do not have to do the iEAD.

thanks

Originally posted by anandsub
As far why I did not apply before, I did not know about the 90 day rule before coming to this forum.

anandsub,

My apologies, totally forgot that, not knowing about 90 day rule was an option! :) Guess I am getting too involved with this damn process that it is second nature for me now, and I expect people to also be in sync.

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
As far why I did not apply before, I did not know about the 90 day rule before coming to this forum.

How about your lawyer. Why didn't he ask you to apply?

I feel better now that I do not have to do the iEAD.

Anyway you cannot apply for iEAD till June 26th.

There are a few worse case scenarios.

1 - your renewal EAD will be denied
2 - May 6th 2003. BCIS agents will check your company and found you working illegally
3 - your EAD will be not backdated

I agree with Tasse's comments.

My wife's first EAD was expiring in December 2002. The EAD was valid from December 2001 to December 2002. She applied for renewal EAD in August 2002. After that she went to the local BCIS office to get two interim EADs, one in December and the second one in April.

When she finally received her EAD in April after approval from CSC, it was in fact not backdated. The EAD was valid from April 2003 to April 2004.

Currently BCIS website recommends applying for EAD renewal, six months before EAD expiry.

Originally posted by cmjorn
When she finally received her EAD in April after approval from CSC, it was in fact not backdated. The EAD was valid from April 2003 to April 2004.

cmjorn, thank you for sharing

anandsub, you should try to receive iEAD before May 5th or you should take a vacation after May 5th.

Originally posted by cmjorn

cmjorn,

Thanks for the post! I had no clue that EAD's are not back dated. That is going to change a hell of a lot of views around here I can tell you. I am sure this post is going to be referred to often till it becomes common knowledge.

Thanks once again for sharing the info.

Tasse,

Good call! You are now getting to be on PCee's level when it comes to advise! :)

personally I would prefer it if EAD is NOT backdated - otherwise at the rate the INS is going right now - it could be expired by the time you get it !!!!!!!!

Looks like I am in a bad situation after all.

I am going to try getting an iEAD from my local office (SFO).

Is there any other way to be safe?. Other than just praying for getting a backdated EAD?

thanks

anandsub,

The most important question you need to answer is "Are you currently working on EAD or H1?"

If you still have a valid H1 with your current employer and you haven;t used your EAD yet, then things could be different for you(and I sure hope the experts here agree).

Of course consulting a GOOD immigration lawyer is the best thing to do, right now.

BCIS has already communicated this to AILA recently that EAD renewals will not be back dated.

Plan accordingly.