iEAD and SSN -Please help..

Pre Dar

Registered Users (C)
I am on H4. I will be getting iEAD. I have a job oppurtunity and want to start work just after getting iEAD. I have a ITIN number
Do i require SSN to start working?.
If SSN is required, can I get it based on iEAD?. Also, what are the documents required to appy for SSN?.
How long does it take to get an SSN number? Can I get the SSN on the same day or in couple of days?
Quick reply is highly appreciated.

You can get the SSN using iEAD.

You need go to SSA office after you get your iEAD.
They need:
1) Application form ( can get from SSA office)
2) ID (passport)
3) iEAD card

After you apply the new SSN, you can get the number by calling them after 24 hours. Then you can use that number to work. Normally you can get the SSN card within 2 weeks.

Maggie

Passport sent for visa revalidatation

For getting the SSN will any ID do since we have sent our passports for H1-H4 visa revalidatation.

Will a california state ID or driving licence work as identification or is passport a must.

Thanks

Which no. to call to get the SSN after 24 hours?

My wife is in the same boat. We got our iEAD on 10-01, and went to Campbell SSA office on the same day. They said they will send the SSN Card in 14 days. When asked about the tel. no. to call, they said they do not encourage calling them to get the no., but then gave my wife a 1-800 no. - 1-800-772-1213. Is that the right no. to call them? Please reply.

No Title

You can go to the Social Security web site which is very helpful. The url is http://www.ssa.gov/

I have pasted the answer to your question from that web site.

How do I obtain a Social Security number?

Question
  I have never had a Social Security number. How do I obtain one?

Answer
  To apply for a Social Security number and card, you need to complete Form SS-5 which is available for download at http://www.ssa.gov/online/ss-5.html and submit evidence of your identity. Or you can obtain Form SS-5 by calling 1-800-772-1213 or visiting your local Social Security office. These services are free.

You will also need to submit evidence of your age, identity, and U.S. citizenship or lawful alien status.

Age: We prefer to see your birth certificate. However, we can accept other documents, such as a hospital record of your birth made before you were age 5 or a religious record made before you were 3 months old. If you were born outside the U.S., we can accept your passport.

Identity: We must see a document in the name you want shown on the card. The identity document must be of recent issuance so that we can determine your continued existence. We prefer to see a document with a photograph. However, we can generally accept a non-photo identity document if it has enough information to identify you (e.g., your name as well as your age, date of birth, or parents’ names). We cannot accept a birth certificate or hospital birth record as evidence of identity. Some documents that we can accept as proof of identitiy are:

Driver\'s license
Marriage or divorce record
Military records
Employer ID card
Adoption record
Life insurance policy
Passport
Health Insurance card (not a Medicare card)
School ID card

U.S. Citizenship: We can accept most documents that show you were born in the U.S. If you are a U.S. citizen born outside the U.S., show us a U.S. consular report of birth, a U.S. passport, a Certificate of Citizenship, or a Certificate of Naturalization.

Alien Status: We need to see an unexpired document issued to you by the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS), such as Form I-551, I-94, I-688B, or I-766. We CANNOT accept a receipt showing you applied for the document. If you are not authorized to work in the U.S., we can issue you a Social Security card if you are lawfully here and need the number for a valid nonwork reason. Your card will be marked to show you cannot work. If you do work, we will notify INS.

All documents must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency. We cannot accept photocopies of documents. We need original documents or copies certified by the custodian of the record. Notarized copies are also not acceptable.

Mail or bring the application and evidence in person to your local Social Security office. You can find that office at: http://www.ssa.gov/locator/. Your documents will be returned to you.

You should receive your card within two weeks of the date we have all the information we need to process your request. If you have not received your card within this time frame, contact the Social Security office where you filed the application and they will investigate to see why it is being delayed.