I94 (B2) Extension by visiting Canada for 1 month

eb2_I485_RD0901

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

My parents are here on B2 visa. POE officer gave I94 for 3 months only. Can they visit Canada for a month (30 days +) and return to US and get a new I94. They plan to go via Air to Toronto and we heard that we can submit the I94 at US Airport and they will get new I94 at Toronto US Immigration.

They have a 10yr multi entry B2 visa ; they also have 3 year multi entry Canda visa.

Please let me know if somebody has a similar experience at the Toronto Preclearance POE. [Note: We need new I-94 for 2 more months only ==> total stay in N.America = 6 months ; Initial 3 months US + 1 Month Canada + 2 months in US ] so we need the I94 for the 2 months only.

Plan is to send them by Air on last day of current I-94 ; and they would give the Airlines the I-94 , stay in Canada for 31 days ; then fly back to US.

Last edited by a moderator:
Coming to canada will not get your parents an updated I-94 for extended stay although they may get a new one with the same date .They have to go to their home country to get that and canada is not their home country .

bhand11683 said:
Coming to canada will not get your parents an updated I-94 for extended stay although they may get a new one with the same date .They have to go to their home country to get that and canada is not their home country .

See this
http://www.immihelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5073

Somebody was able to get new I-94 by visiting Canda for 3 weeks. Do you think there is risk ? isn;t 31 days considered long enough to stay out of US ?

and this: http://www.immihelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12635

Hi,

Just wanted to update the members that my parents were able to get a new I-94 at the Toronto POE. They stayed in Canada for one month.
They submitted their old I-94 at the IAD (Washington DC) departure; there were 3 days left on the old I-94.

Thanks.

Need advice eb2

Glad to hr about your parent.Would highly appreciate if you answere my queires.

1-when entering canada by plane. (I-94).how will take the
is it airline staff or candain immigration officer ?

-Do we have to give them I-94 or they ask ?(by road/train no body take I-94)

-so correct me if i m getting wronge your parents satyed
in canada 30 plus days and when they enter US. they got the new I-94 with new validitiy date.

your answere will help me alot.

thanks

Hi,

I will ans your questions in sequence:

1-when entering canada by plane. (I-94).how will take the is it airline staff or candain immigration officer ?

==> Airline staff in US. (actually tell them that u want to give the I-94 ) they will detach it and keep it or they may like in our case attach it to the Boarding pass , which is then kept by the "Gate Agent" just before you board the plane.

-Do we have to give them I-94 or they ask ?(by road/train no body take I-94)

==> See ans above

-so correct me if i m getting wronge your parents satyed
in canada 30 plus days and when they enter US. they got the new I-94 with new validitiy date.

==> Yes : My parents left 3 days before the expiry of the I-94. Gave that to the airlines ; stayed in Canada for 32 days ; got NEW I-94 in Toronto Pre-Clearance with new dates. (note: they have a 10 yr Multiple entry VISA).

If you have further question please let me know ; I did lot of research on this and now have a first hand experience

Thanks.

extension of visitor visa

Thanks for your reply

I have another ques if u can plz clearify my query

My wife is visiting me in US now adays .She has (10 yr multiple entry visa )

Im planning to file for extension of her visit .Just wanted to make sure that If her visitor visa extension is denied and if you have any 10 year multiple entry visa, that visa is considered automatically cancelled under section 222(g) of the INA.

correct me if im wrong that if her extension is approved she can stay in US plus wi'll hv her 10 year multiple entry visa.And in case her case is denied then her 10 year multiple entry visa will be cancelled and she will have to reapply for US visit visa.??

secondly i need to know the air lines by which your parents flew to canada?

your input will be highly appreciated
thanks in advance
kas

Last edited by a moderator:
kab901 said:
Thanks for your reply

I have another ques if u can plz clearify my query

My wife is visiting me in US now adays .She has (10 yr multiple entry visa )

Im planning to file for extension of her visit .Just wanted to make sure that If her visitor visa extension is denied and if you have any 10 year multiple entry visa, that visa is considered automatically cancelled under section 222(g) of the INA.

correct me if im wrong that if her extension is approved she can stay in US plus wi'll hv her 10 year multiple entry visa.And in case her case is denied then her 10 year multiple entry visa will be cancelled and she will have to reapply for US visit visa.??

your input will be highly appreciated
thanks in advance
kas

You need to give a very good reason for the extension. The fundamental q is a visitor is a visitor so why do you want to extend. Key things are file in advance and be non-frivolous in your reasons. (extension due to family reasons is not a good argument: also parents extending for care of baby etc has caused some rejections) Also based on my reading INS does not like extensions, so it is better to go out of country and come back after some time .. 30 days is a good safe limit.

Also read http://www.immihelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10871
http://www.immihelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12635

In one of the postings I read that the parents were denied extension ; they immediatly left USA, came back after 6 months or so on the SAME VISA and were allowed entry with i-94 vaild for 6 months. [do some search and I think you will find that posting; i forgot to bookmark it ]

Sorry this is the best I can do .. you have to trust your self and make the best decisions.

Good luck

thnaks for your reply

if you can plz tell me the air lines by which your parents travelled to canada ?

thanks
kas

Reason for extension of visitor visa

Thanks again for your valuable advise

My wife is a doctor and will be participation in residency programme here in US .she'll be applying for the programmes n waiting for interviews.for that her presence is a must .
Does this make a sound and valid base for extension of her trip .

plz i need your advise

thanks in advance
kas

I 94

Hi Eb2

I need to know plz do the immigration officer take I 94 if the person travells by train? or its only taken if travell by air?

i ll be really thankfull to you if can help me out to solve my query

thanks
kas