i797 and i129 difference

sachinkas

Registered Users (C)
I have received I129 and nothing like I 797 from the INS. What is the difference between these two. Because everywhere they say to send the I 797 while I have received only the 129.

I-129 is application for extensionof stay. but I 797 is approval notice . I am not sure how you got I-129 from INS? Look carefully that may not be the case.

NOTE: THIS IS NOT A LEGAL ADVICE. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK

Thanx for the reply. It is I129. It came after I filed for my extenstion. I have to mail my passport for stamping. Please advise

I've done a couple thousand H-1 filings and I have NEVER even heard of INS returning the I-129 unless there was a problem with the filing and the petition was not accepted. That would be my guess, that INS returned your (actually, your employer's) petition for some reason. You'd better find out what happened AND FAST, since if I am correct, you have no H-1 petition pending with INS right now.

Originally posted by Jim Mills
I've done a couple thousand H-1 filings and I have NEVER even heard of INS returning the I-129 unless there was a problem with the filing and the petition was not accepted. That would be my guess, that INS returned your (actually, your employer's) petition for some reason. You'd better find out what happened AND FAST, since if I am correct, you have no H-1 petition pending with INS right now.

Samething happened with me, there is no I94 attached to it, is it I797 or I129. Please help

Check on the notice. It should say I-797. The I-129 is a multipage form that your employer submits to the INS.

I-797 is usually a single (double sided) notice with a statue of liberty watermark. If no I-94 is attached, the INS usually states the reason why on the notice itself.