I485 RFE re positive TB skin test

sailprao

Registered Users (C)
During my I-485 medical in Dec 2003, my skin test was positive but my chest X-ray was normal. The civil surgeon had recommended following up with the local TB clinic. However I was not aware of the recommendation at that time and did not follow up.

Recently I got an RFE on 485 asking if I had followed up with TB clinic. Following the RFE, I went to the TB clinic and got on a 9 month treatment for inactive TB which will be completed in April 2006.

My attorney filed a response back to RFE with evidence of this followup.

Can my I-485 be approved only after completing the treatment in April 2006? Is the fact that I am getting treatment for inactive TB sufficient for approval now. Anyone in this situation?

Thanks

My TB test result was exactly the same as yours. I finished the 9 months treatment in March this year. But my I-485 RFE did't mention anything about this.

Similar Case

My test also proved positive but chest x-ray cleared it. I did not take any treatment as Indians are prone to it because of the anti-TB injections we get when young.

Could you just not reply back saying the chest x-ray is okay and there is no present risk because of it?

Did anyone else get such an RFE? If so how did you reply to the RFE.

Me too. Skin test is positive. But this is because of the vaccination shot for it I had when I was young. Doctors say that it is OK as long as the X-ray is normal. But it would suck if later we get a RFE asking us to do the follow up for 9 months. Isn't it going to delay the I485 process for 9 month?

Anyone has any insights on this issue?

I spoke to the civil surgeon on this. His take is that USCIS just needs evidence that the treatment is in progress at the time of adjudicating the 485. He has not seen any cases where USCIS held up the approval until the completion of treatment.

I got the RFE bcos the civil surgeon had recommended the followup in the form I693. Look at your copy of I693 & see if there are any remarks re TB. If there are no remarks, you are probably OK.

Your civil surgeon may have made an ill-informed recommendation. Unless you are a recent converter ie. your skin test used to be negative and then turned positive as happens commonly in healthcare workers, there is no need to take the 9 month treatment.

Confused if your X ray was ok

Then why this, when I went for medical and TB postive, tehy acknolwledged people from India have that positive so X-ray clears it. then why this 9 months course or wait, it can be killing to know at the last moment.. :(

sailprao said:
During my I-485 medical in Dec 2003, my skin test was positive but my chest X-ray was normal. The civil surgeon had recommended following up with the local TB clinic. However I was not aware of the recommendation at that time and did not follow up.

Recently I got an RFE on 485 asking if I had followed up with TB clinic. Following the RFE, I went to the TB clinic and got on a 9 month treatment for inactive TB which will be completed in April 2006.

My attorney filed a response back to RFE with evidence of this followup.

Can my I-485 be approved only after completing the treatment in April 2006? Is the fact that I am getting treatment for inactive TB sufficient for approval now. Anyone in this situation?

Thanks

pras01 Correct about it.

pras01 Correct about it.

Unfortunately you went to wrong doctor.
All Indians should not go for skin test. Every one should go for
X-ray only without doing skin test. If your doctor ask you to do skin test, don't do it and go to another doctor. Go for only X-ray. X-ray is the accurate result. Usually Indian doctor knows about it. Its because of
the vaccination we gets in India.

Skin test: doctor get money that is why they ask you to do it.

I do see some one here went for 9 months treatment. No need of it.

mygc05

..doctors

OK. I was polite. Here is what I really think. Sailprao, Your doctor is an idiot. That is why he needs to boost his practice by listing himself as USCIS approved doctor. Infact, all USCIS approved doctors are in the business of testing healthy people to make money. The 9 month treatment has known liver toxicity. Be sure to get your liver function tests frequently. All other folks, please speak to the doctor on the phone about his views on skin test in people from countries where TB is endemic. Yesterday I got a phone call from my cat's doctor's office scheduling my cat cheeta for an annual physical and vaccines. I told them that cheeta is healthy and needs no annual physical. I will schedule a vaccination once in 3 years, but the doctor likes to give every year because he makes $85. So I need to use my judgement. I don't have money to throw and cheeta hates all vets. Moral of the story, Do your homework and do only what is absolutely necessary.