I485 principal approved,but 15-y son not yet

jonelee

Registered Users (C)
My I-485 got approved recently, but my 15-old son has not yet. The same thing happened to a friend of mine. Any ideas about why? name check or what? may be I didn't pay the FP fee when we filed the application?
Thanks,
-----------
ND: 11/6/02
FP: 3/1/05
RFE: 4/12/05 nonimmigration
Ack RFE: 4/21/05
AD: 5/2/05 (me and wife)

It is just family separation

Jonelee,

I don't think it is because of FP fees. My son is just turned 15 and we didn't get pay for his FP fee. He got approved together with the primary applicant. But I am still waiting...

ND: 10, 2002
FP: 12, 2004
Ref ACK: may 3, 2005
AP:???????

There's a disconnect in the name check in these cases. What happens is when the original application is filed, the child isn't yet 14, so they don't request a name check from the FBI. Now they finally get around to looking at your case and notice that the child is over 14 (our son was 13 and by the time they picked up our case, he was 16) and that the name check hasn't come back yet from the FBI. So they sit and wait, and wait, and wait...totally unaware that the name check has never been requested in the first place. (that would just take too much mental power to figure out). You can send in an status request to the FBI, but I hear the FBI is taking about 5 months to reply to any email inquiries. (phone inquiries are no longer accepted)

It's been about 3 months for my son since we were all approved and we're still waiting. I've phoned and faxed. (so has my lawyer). I've explained to them specifically what the issue is. So we'll see if anything happens. I heard that the service centers (ie. TX, VT, CA) can't request a name check a second time. It has to be forwarded to the national center where they will eventually get around to it. Yep, I know, they haven't even requeted it in the first place, but remember, we're talking about the USCIS here and if it requires common sense, it's not going to happen.

Best of luck and regards

Rav

ravioli_21_99 said:
There's a disconnect in the name check in these cases. What happens is when the original application is filed, the child isn't yet 14, so they don't request a name check from the FBI. Now they finally get around to looking at your case and notice that the child is over 14 (our son was 13 and by the time they picked up our case, he was 16) and that the name check hasn't come back yet from the FBI. So they sit and wait, and wait, and wait...totally unaware that the name check has never been requested in the first place. (that would just take too much mental power to figure out). You can send in an status request to the FBI, but I hear the FBI is taking about 5 months to reply to any email inquiries. (phone inquiries are no longer accepted)

It's been about 3 months for my son since we were all approved and we're still waiting. I've phoned and faxed. (so has my lawyer). I've explained to them specifically what the issue is. So we'll see if anything happens. I heard that the service centers (ie. TX, VT, CA) can't request a name check a second time. It has to be forwarded to the national center where they will eventually get around to it. Yep, I know, they haven't even requeted it in the first place, but remember, we're talking about the USCIS here and if it requires common sense, it's not going to happen.

Best of luck and regards

Rav

Hi Rav,
Did they not ask you to file a new G325 A for your son? Normally they do.They should also ask for a FP. Isn't that used for name check request?
thanks

name check is different from FP

My son is still waiting for his green card approval. He was 13 when we filed his case in 6/2001. Now he is 17. We spent 3 months to make TSC send his name check request to FBI in 2/2005. Last Friday, I received email from my congressman. His office told me TSC is ready to work on my son's case and his liaison brought the case to Exams. 2 weeks ago I got a letter from my senator who told me TSC said my son's case was waiting for name check result.

So I think if you have a similar case, you need to make sure TSC has sent name check requestio to FBI for your kid. Otherwise the case will sit there for ever.

God bless all of us.

zhangd2001 said:
My son is still waiting for his green card approval. He was 13 when we filed his case in 6/2001. Now he is 17. We spent 3 months to make TSC send his name check request to FBI in 2/2005. Last Friday, I received email from my congressman. His office told me TSC is ready to work on my son's case and his liaison brought the case to Exams. 2 weeks ago I got a letter from my senator who told me TSC said my son's case was waiting for name check result.

So I think if you have a similar case, you need to make sure TSC has sent name check requestio to FBI for your kid. Otherwise the case will sit there for ever.

God bless all of us.
Hi zhangd2001
Were u asked to file fresh Biographic form and FP for your son after he turned 14?

In the case of my son, he was fingerprinted this past January 2005. No other information was requested. As mentioned above, the name check and fingerprint check are two separate and distinct processes.

Hopefully, the USCIS has sent out a name check for my son after we pointed out the problem. We are from Canada and have a very uncommon last name so I can't see the name check taking more than a couple of days at the most.

Regards

Rav

Thanks for the info

It seems the name check is the key, but not much we really can do I guess. Good luck to you all!

Just to share our case with every one on this thread.

All of us except our 14 year old son were approved on March 30th,2005. It was our younger son's 14th birthday.

Lawyer advised to take him with us and try to get him finger printed at local office.

All our passports stamped and the local office refused to do his finger prints.

Lawyer wrote to TSC and I contacted TSC on March 31st.Nothing happened for 30 days and I cantacted again and could talk to an agent this time.
She said who ever took the earlier call did not put in my A # as it is required to touch the dependents case.

She put in my A # and said she was ordering FP for my 14 year old son.

She also said they have to wait for an opening to schedule his FP's and should receive the notice in 2 months.

Meanwhile my husband, 19 year old son and I received our physical green cards.

I am going to call again next week and ask the TSC agent if a name check is ordered for our son.

Looks like its a game of patience that we are playing and I am going to win this.

Fortunately, there are no compelling travel plans so we are OK for now.

GC soon
ND: June 6th,
AD : March 30th,2005
CR: May 6th,2005
Waiting for approval for 14 year old son.

All of us except our 14 year old son were approved on March 30th,2005. It was our younger son's 14th birthday.

Lawyer advised to take him with us and try to get him finger printed at local office.

Lawyer wrote to TSC and I contacted TSC on March 31st.Nothing happened for 30 days and I cantacted again and could talk to an agent this time.
She said who ever took the earlier call did not put in my A # as it is required to touch the dependents case.

She also said they have to wait for an opening to schedule his FP's and should receive the notice in 2 months.

I am going to call again next week and ask the TSC agent if a name check is ordered for our son.

Looks like its a game of patience that we are playing and I am going to win this.

GC soon

GC soon

same situation

I have the same situation. Mine and Spouse I-485 got approved on 5/2/05, however 14 year old child still wait for approval. Really did not know what happened.

I-485

RD: 10/9/2002
1st FP 11/25/02
2nd FP 3/12/05
AD 5/2/05

waiting for child I-485 approval