I485 paending and want quit job, please help

NYvs

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

My husband and I are both holding H1B visa, he filed I485 last year and he's primary applicant. I want to quit my job then maybe find a new job, or maybe just stay at home take care my baby, my questions are:

1. If I just quit and don’t find a new job, do I need to change to H4 or do anything else when we have I485 pending?

2. If I want find a job later, do I need to apply for EAD before I quit? Or when should I apply it?

Please help me to solve those puzzles, I can’t stand my boss any more. :(

Thank you in advance! :)

Apply for an EAD, if you haven't and then you should be fine.
--Naveen Oshos
NYvs said:
Hello,

My husband and I are both holding H1B visa, he filed I485 last year and he's primary applicant. I want to quit my job then maybe find a new job, or maybe just stay at home take care my baby, my questions are:

1. If I just quit and don’t find a new job, do I need to change to H4 or do anything else when we have I485 pending?

2. If I want find a job later, do I need to apply for EAD before I quit? Or when should I apply it?

Please help me to solve those puzzles, I can’t stand my boss any more. :(

Thank you in advance! :)

Hello,

My 485 has been pending from june2003 and pd is 2/1999. have EAD and Ap. Can i quit now, take some time off to find a new job(1 month) or do i need to have continuous empolyment?
thanks

holycow said:
Hello,

My 485 has been pending from june2003 and pd is 2/1999. have EAD and Ap. Can i quit now, take some time off to find a new job(1 month) or do i need to have continuous empolyment?
thanks
I guess you can afford to do that right now. Assuming they are going to ask you for salary slips, by the time they call you earliest it will be 1 year. So that time you should have slips as you will be employed then.
--Naveen Oshos

do I need EAD even I don't want find a new job?

For question #1 , do I need to get EAD or aything else if I don't want to find a new job??? :confused:
For question #2, I guess I just need to get EAD? :confused:

Thank you!

NYvs said:
For question #1 , do I need to get EAD or aything else if I don't want to find a new job??? :confused:
For question #2, I guess I just need to get EAD? :confused:

Thank you!
You don't need an EAD if you don't want a job. In this case you better switch to H4B. But it is always better to have one at hand.
--Naveen Oshos

The moment you receive I-485 receipt in hand, you are in legal to stay irrespective of work (EAD or H1B) and travel (AP) documents.

If you decide to work then you must have either H1B (work for only sponsor) or EAD (work for any employer).... also you should have AP to travel and come back.....

Since you are NOT primary....no one (especially USCIS) cares your status until they made decision on your I-485 application.....

NYvs said:

No need...I-485 receipt will be legal document to stay

Time you start a new job, you should have EAD....